Urinating in the house.

Breed: Bichon frise
I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is house trained, however, in the last 6 months or so he keeps marking inside. He has been neutered. He doesn't not drink alot so I am not worried about diabetes. He will go outside, pee, then come back in and go mark somewhere. In fact, many spots. I don't know what to do anymore, I have tried all products from odour remover to repellant and nothing is working. I have to crate him during the day now, and don't even trust him loose when I am around. Any suggestions? I am sure it is an emotional/anxiety thing. Can dogs be treated for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Sophie-Anne

This is a case where I would highly recommend having your vet do some urine tests for your dog. It is not common for a neutered dog who was formerly housebroken to suddenly start urinating in the house. If he was not neutered, then we could blame it on hormones. For example, if there was a female in heat in the neighbourhood then this could cause him to urine mark. But, this is not going to happen for a neutered dog.

There is a really high chance that this is a medical issue. Something that is relatively common in bichons is bladder stones and crystals. A dog with a bladder stone or urinary crystals will have irritation in their bladder from time to time that feels like a bladder infection. This causes the urge to urinate frequently.

Bladder stones are treatable. Some can be treated with special food and some need surgery. They can be very serious as well. If a bladder stone gets to just the right size then it can block up the penis and can be life threatening.

It is also possible that this is a chronic bladder infection in which case antibiotics would be necessary.

If your vet does urine tests and everything is normal (which would surprise me), then we are looking at a behavioral issue. Treating this may involve some periods of crate training and yes, possibly some anti-anxiety medications. But, I would definitely not go that route until urinary tests are done to rule out a medical problem.

Hope things clear up soon!

I went to the vet and did urine analysis. $160 later, there is nothing physically wrong with the dog. Seems it is behaviour problem.

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (10208 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (17090 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8814 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (8012 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (27948 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (5063 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14485 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5054 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12033 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17709 views)