Urinating in the house.

Breed: Bichon frise
I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is house trained, however, in the last 6 months or so he keeps marking inside. He has been neutered. He doesn't not drink alot so I am not worried about diabetes. He will go outside, pee, then come back in and go mark somewhere. In fact, many spots. I don't know what to do anymore, I have tried all products from odour remover to repellant and nothing is working. I have to crate him during the day now, and don't even trust him loose when I am around. Any suggestions? I am sure it is an emotional/anxiety thing. Can dogs be treated for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Sophie-Anne

This is a case where I would highly recommend having your vet do some urine tests for your dog. It is not common for a neutered dog who was formerly housebroken to suddenly start urinating in the house. If he was not neutered, then we could blame it on hormones. For example, if there was a female in heat in the neighbourhood then this could cause him to urine mark. But, this is not going to happen for a neutered dog.

There is a really high chance that this is a medical issue. Something that is relatively common in bichons is bladder stones and crystals. A dog with a bladder stone or urinary crystals will have irritation in their bladder from time to time that feels like a bladder infection. This causes the urge to urinate frequently.

Bladder stones are treatable. Some can be treated with special food and some need surgery. They can be very serious as well. If a bladder stone gets to just the right size then it can block up the penis and can be life threatening.

It is also possible that this is a chronic bladder infection in which case antibiotics would be necessary.

If your vet does urine tests and everything is normal (which would surprise me), then we are looking at a behavioral issue. Treating this may involve some periods of crate training and yes, possibly some anti-anxiety medications. But, I would definitely not go that route until urinary tests are done to rule out a medical problem.

Hope things clear up soon!

I went to the vet and did urine analysis. $160 later, there is nothing physically wrong with the dog. Seems it is behaviour problem.

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7050 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13112 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (16368 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11377 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9414 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15529 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4226 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13681 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (10990 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5039 views)