Corn in dog food.

Breed: Boxer
I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and citric acid can lead to bloat? Should I avoid foods with said ingredients? What food do you recommend?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Ah, the everlasting corn debate!

It is so difficult these days to know what is a good dog food and what is not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn in dog food, but you will find many people who disagree with me.

I spent a lot of time researching your question to see if there was any scientific evidence for or against corn in dog food and all I could find were people's opinions.

So, here are some facts:

• Dog food needs to be made with some kind of filler / binder. Corn is an inexpensive product to use and works well. However, if there is no corn in the food then there needs to be another type of binder such as starch or tapioca. Personally, I would prefer to eat corn.

• There have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food. This is definitely a serious problem...but fortunately not a common one.

• Many people will blame corn for allergies in dogs. While it is possible for dogs to be allergic to corn, it is not common. It is much more likely for dogs to be allergic to beef, wheat, eggs, chicken or fish.

There is really no evidence that I can find to show that corn is bad in dog food.

Regarding bloat, we really don't know what causes it. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. Any food that ferments in the stomach can contribute to this. Or, gulping air by eating too fast can be a factor. However, no one really knows what causes bloat. I have not heard or seen evidence that alfalfa, brewers yeast or citric acid cause bloat. However, there really is no reason to give any of these ingredients to dogs.

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (19295 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (12237 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (4485 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (11692 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (48704 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (8019 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (67276 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (10185 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (11638 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (10395 views)