Corn in dog food.

Breed: Boxer
I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and citric acid can lead to bloat? Should I avoid foods with said ingredients? What food do you recommend?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Ah, the everlasting corn debate!

It is so difficult these days to know what is a good dog food and what is not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn in dog food, but you will find many people who disagree with me.

I spent a lot of time researching your question to see if there was any scientific evidence for or against corn in dog food and all I could find were people's opinions.

So, here are some facts:

• Dog food needs to be made with some kind of filler / binder. Corn is an inexpensive product to use and works well. However, if there is no corn in the food then there needs to be another type of binder such as starch or tapioca. Personally, I would prefer to eat corn.

• There have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food. This is definitely a serious problem...but fortunately not a common one.

• Many people will blame corn for allergies in dogs. While it is possible for dogs to be allergic to corn, it is not common. It is much more likely for dogs to be allergic to beef, wheat, eggs, chicken or fish.

There is really no evidence that I can find to show that corn is bad in dog food.

Regarding bloat, we really don't know what causes it. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. Any food that ferments in the stomach can contribute to this. Or, gulping air by eating too fast can be a factor. However, no one really knows what causes bloat. I have not heard or seen evidence that alfalfa, brewers yeast or citric acid cause bloat. However, there really is no reason to give any of these ingredients to dogs.

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (5139 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (2723 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (20772 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (7421 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (14325 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (33430 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (17105 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (29358 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (8447 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (18061 views)