Corn in dog food.

Breed: Boxer
I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and citric acid can lead to bloat? Should I avoid foods with said ingredients? What food do you recommend?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Ah, the everlasting corn debate!

It is so difficult these days to know what is a good dog food and what is not.

Personally, I don't have a problem with corn in dog food, but you will find many people who disagree with me.

I spent a lot of time researching your question to see if there was any scientific evidence for or against corn in dog food and all I could find were people's opinions.

So, here are some facts:

• Dog food needs to be made with some kind of filler / binder. Corn is an inexpensive product to use and works well. However, if there is no corn in the food then there needs to be another type of binder such as starch or tapioca. Personally, I would prefer to eat corn.

• There have been some cases of aflatoxin contamination associated with corn in dog food. This is definitely a serious problem...but fortunately not a common one.

• Many people will blame corn for allergies in dogs. While it is possible for dogs to be allergic to corn, it is not common. It is much more likely for dogs to be allergic to beef, wheat, eggs, chicken or fish.

There is really no evidence that I can find to show that corn is bad in dog food.

Regarding bloat, we really don't know what causes it. Bloat occurs when the stomach fills with air and then twists. Any food that ferments in the stomach can contribute to this. Or, gulping air by eating too fast can be a factor. However, no one really knows what causes bloat. I have not heard or seen evidence that alfalfa, brewers yeast or citric acid cause bloat. However, there really is no reason to give any of these ingredients to dogs.

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (34437 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (6739 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (6007 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (7889 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (8493 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (12104 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (29235 views)

Dog shedding like crazy. my dog is shedding like crazy year round what should i do? ... (9065 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (8538 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (22147 views)