Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (11507 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (6725 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (13344 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (2700 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (2706 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (9740 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (6830 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (4068 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (12775 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (8180 views)