Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (3734 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (14331 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (14875 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (4608 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (7605 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (10925 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (14841 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (8389 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (7263 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (3392 views)