Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (10389 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (10096 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (16818 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (6434 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (3623 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (12391 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (3452 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (13356 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (5202 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (9385 views)