Dog pees on the furniture.

Breed: Retreiver/collie (th
Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy except for peeing when dogs walk in front of our house - dominance? This has started within the last month and our dvd stand and xmas tree are no longer safe. How If we are there all we have to do is say no. I am home 90% of the time with the dogs. When we aren't home is the problem. How can we train him to stop this behavior - we will not lock them up and do not beleive in making a dog fear you to obey. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wendy

This is an interesting question.

My first question is to ask whether or not he is neutered. If he is not neutered then having the surgery done really should fix the problem.

If he is neutered then the first thing I would suggest is to have your vet check his urine to be sure there is no medical reason for this. If a dog has any sort of inflammation (either due to an infection or crystals or bladder stones) this can lead to inappropriate urinary habits.

I know you don't want to lock him in a crate, but if you are able to do this (while you are out) for a month or two this will train him that the only place that is acceptable to go for urine is outside. Then you can start letting him out of the crates for short amounts of time.

And one final thought is to see if there is any way you can block his view of the front of the house (i.e. with curtains). If he can't see that a dog is there then the peeing probably won't happen!

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (9155 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (11281 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (19387 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (69522 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (14828 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (7102 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (11734 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (8503 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (41734 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (3104 views)