Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder?

Breed: cocker spaniel/king
My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination problem. He can hold it all night long with out a problem. When i come home from work he starts to pee in his crate as i walk in the door. This happens every day i come home from work. He also tends to pee around the house while he walks. I am always cleaning up after him. He gets let out around 8 or 9 times a day. He is crate trained and will go to the door to let me know he has to go out. But sometimes after i let him out about a half our later he might pee on the floor. I dont know what to do with him. Please help any advice would be great. I took him to the vet to check for a UTI and he was fine. He is a mixed breed cocker spaniel/king charles and something else mix.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

This is definitely a frustrating problem!

I think what we need to figure out here is whether this is a behavioral issue or a medical issue.

I am wondering if what you are describing is a problem with an ectopic ureter. You can read a little bit more about this condition in this question that I answered:

Ectopic ureter

Basically an ectopic ureter happens when one of the paths from the kidneys to the bladder empties into the wrong spot. Dogs who have this problem will have trouble holding their urine when they move around. I have seen dogs with ectopic ureters that can hold their urine while sleeping.

Another possibility is something called a pelvic bladder. This happens when the bladder is located too far back on a dog and ends up inside the bones of the pelvis. The pelvic bones cause the bladder to not be able to fill up fully. Therefore, if the bladder gets even a little bit full it will empty involuntarily.

The way your vet would diagnose these is by doing a set of xrays called an intravenous pyelogram (IVP). This can usually tell us if there is a problem. Sometimes it can be hard to tell though. For those cases I usually send the xrays to a radiologist to interpret.

Depending on how bad the problem is sometimes we can do surgery to fix these types of problems.

The other possibility is if this is a behavioral problem such as excitement urination. Most puppies with excitement urination grow out of this problem by this age. Plus, excitement urination doesn't account for him urinating while he walks.

I really think there is a good chance that this is either an ectopic ureter or a pelvic bladder. It would be a great idea to call your vet and see if they think this is possible.

I hope that information helps!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (3303 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (5893 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (19421 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (11754 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (11867 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (57286 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (8151 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (27339 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (70433 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (4606 views)