vet question

Breed: Siberian Husky
Dear Madame Veterinarian:
Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've asked for, and fortunately for us, she has been virtually ailment free for the past 13 years. That's why we're shocked to discover she has this horror--degenerative canine myelopathy. She's been treated for arthritis for the past couple of years, but now it's quite apparent that she's toe dragging in the rear, increasingly wobbly, and so on. Her spirits are still rearing to go, however.
We live in japan--in fact she is a JKC dog, but the parents came from a well-regarded kennel in Minnesota. We haven't contacted them yet; we've been in denial, I'm afraid. My questions are: 1) Should we continue the anti-inflammatory regimen even though her disability is obviously much more than hip arthritis? I've begun giving her B12 because I understand that it, along with a couple other supplements, together have had some success with slowing deterioration (Journal of American Veterinary Medicine 1983). 2) Do you know where we could order those supplements? We do have a vet here on this American military base, but her attention is hard to get given the military working dogs here and the off-base Japanese vets might want to do extensive testing etc., which, quite frankly is just not worth the stress on the dog or us financially.( japan is outrageously expensive, especially when ity comes to pets.) 3) Is it safe to give Nim acetaminophen or ibuprophen?
Please do advise. We'll do anything we can to to keep her body in sync with her heart and all her other systems, which are characteristically go-go-go.
Thank you.
I welcome your counsel from so many miles away.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Skeen
Yokota Air Base, Tokyo, Japan.

Hi Mrs. Skeen. I am so sorry to hear that Nimue has degenerative myelopathy.

To answer your questions:

1) I would definitely continue to give the anti-inflammatories. Even though they do nothing directly for DM, most dogs with DM also have some hip arthritis. If we can minimize arthritis pain then whatever mobility she has left will be maximized.

2) B12 is a fairly common medication. You should be able to get it at any pharmacy. I am not aware of the correct dose to give, however.

3) I would not give over the counter medicines like acetominophen or ibuprophen. These drugs cannot be given along with her prescription anti-inflammatories. Additionally, these medicines can be quite hard on the liver, the kidneys or the stomach.

There are a few other things that can help a dog with DM:
-exercise is encouraged.
-physical therapy is good. You can ask your vet if there is a place near you that does canine physical therapy.
-Sometimes vitamins E and C can be helpful as well.

Unfortunately though, as you know there is no cure for degenerative myelopathy. The good news is that it is not a painful condition, so as long as Nimue is enjoying life then it is ok to keep spoiling her for a while longer.

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (9882 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (8829 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8177 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56689 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10819 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8499 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45297 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5550 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11166 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10288 views)