Bump at spay incision.

Breed: miniature pinscher
I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a couple of months ago and when I picked her up she still had her stitches in from her spay. A couple of weeks later I brought her to my vet to have her stitches removed and at that time everything was normal and she had healed well with almost no scaring at all. A few days ago, while rubbing her belly, I noticed an odd shaped bump directly underneath her spay scar. The bump is hard and feels like something foreign to her body. It is not a smooth bump and almost feels like a knot under her skin. It moves slightly when I touch it and it doesn't bother her at all when I do, although I avoid moving it around too much as I'm not quite sure what it is. She is eating, drinking, and playing like normal so it is not affecting her behaviour in any way. Any idea of what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dr. Marie.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

It certainly is possible that what you are feeling is the layer of stitches that is underneath the skin. Usually when we do a spay, there are three layers of stitches. Sometimes the lower layers can take longer to dissolve. And sometimes, there can be scar tissue that just never goes away.

It's also possible that there is a knot in the lower layer that is becoming a little inflamed.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bursts through to the outside and there is discharge or if it is red and bothersome to the dog then I'd have your vet take a look.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (10311 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (10731 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (2670 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (36431 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (2536 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (6185 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (8784 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (50083 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (6343 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (5603 views)