Bump at spay incision.

Breed: miniature pinscher
I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a couple of months ago and when I picked her up she still had her stitches in from her spay. A couple of weeks later I brought her to my vet to have her stitches removed and at that time everything was normal and she had healed well with almost no scaring at all. A few days ago, while rubbing her belly, I noticed an odd shaped bump directly underneath her spay scar. The bump is hard and feels like something foreign to her body. It is not a smooth bump and almost feels like a knot under her skin. It moves slightly when I touch it and it doesn't bother her at all when I do, although I avoid moving it around too much as I'm not quite sure what it is. She is eating, drinking, and playing like normal so it is not affecting her behaviour in any way. Any idea of what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dr. Marie.

It certainly is possible that what you are feeling is the layer of stitches that is underneath the skin. Usually when we do a spay, there are three layers of stitches. Sometimes the lower layers can take longer to dissolve. And sometimes, there can be scar tissue that just never goes away.

It's also possible that there is a knot in the lower layer that is becoming a little inflamed.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bursts through to the outside and there is discharge or if it is red and bothersome to the dog then I'd have your vet take a look.

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (29671 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (6947 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (15626 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (12607 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (15810 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (14130 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (8607 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (23197 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (11743 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (5673 views)