Bump at spay incision.

Breed: miniature pinscher
I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a couple of months ago and when I picked her up she still had her stitches in from her spay. A couple of weeks later I brought her to my vet to have her stitches removed and at that time everything was normal and she had healed well with almost no scaring at all. A few days ago, while rubbing her belly, I noticed an odd shaped bump directly underneath her spay scar. The bump is hard and feels like something foreign to her body. It is not a smooth bump and almost feels like a knot under her skin. It moves slightly when I touch it and it doesn't bother her at all when I do, although I avoid moving it around too much as I'm not quite sure what it is. She is eating, drinking, and playing like normal so it is not affecting her behaviour in any way. Any idea of what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dr. Marie.

It certainly is possible that what you are feeling is the layer of stitches that is underneath the skin. Usually when we do a spay, there are three layers of stitches. Sometimes the lower layers can take longer to dissolve. And sometimes, there can be scar tissue that just never goes away.

It's also possible that there is a knot in the lower layer that is becoming a little inflamed.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bursts through to the outside and there is discharge or if it is red and bothersome to the dog then I'd have your vet take a look.

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (5596 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (5798 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (14756 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (3286 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (25139 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (18138 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (4007 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (7977 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (3149 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (3832 views)