Bump at spay incision.

Breed: miniature pinscher
I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a couple of months ago and when I picked her up she still had her stitches in from her spay. A couple of weeks later I brought her to my vet to have her stitches removed and at that time everything was normal and she had healed well with almost no scaring at all. A few days ago, while rubbing her belly, I noticed an odd shaped bump directly underneath her spay scar. The bump is hard and feels like something foreign to her body. It is not a smooth bump and almost feels like a knot under her skin. It moves slightly when I touch it and it doesn't bother her at all when I do, although I avoid moving it around too much as I'm not quite sure what it is. She is eating, drinking, and playing like normal so it is not affecting her behaviour in any way. Any idea of what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dr. Marie.

It certainly is possible that what you are feeling is the layer of stitches that is underneath the skin. Usually when we do a spay, there are three layers of stitches. Sometimes the lower layers can take longer to dissolve. And sometimes, there can be scar tissue that just never goes away.

It's also possible that there is a knot in the lower layer that is becoming a little inflamed.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bursts through to the outside and there is discharge or if it is red and bothersome to the dog then I'd have your vet take a look.

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (8053 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (25890 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (7576 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (6422 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (4118 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (7633 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (20202 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (7502 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (39086 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (3102 views)