Bump at spay incision.

Breed: miniature pinscher
I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a couple of months ago and when I picked her up she still had her stitches in from her spay. A couple of weeks later I brought her to my vet to have her stitches removed and at that time everything was normal and she had healed well with almost no scaring at all. A few days ago, while rubbing her belly, I noticed an odd shaped bump directly underneath her spay scar. The bump is hard and feels like something foreign to her body. It is not a smooth bump and almost feels like a knot under her skin. It moves slightly when I touch it and it doesn't bother her at all when I do, although I avoid moving it around too much as I'm not quite sure what it is. She is eating, drinking, and playing like normal so it is not affecting her behaviour in any way. Any idea of what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dr. Marie.

It certainly is possible that what you are feeling is the layer of stitches that is underneath the skin. Usually when we do a spay, there are three layers of stitches. Sometimes the lower layers can take longer to dissolve. And sometimes, there can be scar tissue that just never goes away.

It's also possible that there is a knot in the lower layer that is becoming a little inflamed.

At this point I wouldn't worry about it. But if it bursts through to the outside and there is discharge or if it is red and bothersome to the dog then I'd have your vet take a look.

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (6743 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (7473 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (4091 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (6892 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (3674 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (4717 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (43112 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (11217 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (9670 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (3908 views)