Getting new pup after parvo.

Breed: German Shep
We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that she was Parvo positive, unfortuanly she passed away 9 days after bringing her home. Sophie spent a full week in the vets care, she beat parvo but developed a scondary infection and died from that. Our family really wants to get another dog and are interested in getting another puppy. We have looked online and disinfected the house and have even sprayed the back yard with bleach (grass did not like it but we felt it was the proper thing to do to kill the virus). I guess what I am asking is at what age are most fully vaccinated against Parvo? And would it be safe to bring another puppy into the house? I would not want to go through the heart break of that again. Thank you so much for your time.

John

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a dog to parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to prevent another dog from getting parvo. Bleach is one of the best ways to kill the virus. Anywhere were the dog may have had diarrhea or vomit are the areas that we are concerned about.

Regarding vaccinations, there should be good protection against parvo within a few days of the second puppy vaccine. (Usually the first vaccine is given at around 6-8 weeks of age and the second one about a month later).

One other fact that may help: For some reason black and tan dogs seem to be more prone to parvo virus. We are not sure why. So, if you are thinking of getting another dog, you may want to consider avoiding a black and tan breed. With that being said, however, it sounds like you have done all of the right things to disinfect and likely any dog you get will be ok.

I hope all is well when you get your new pup!

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11230 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (23858 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (16864 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (9689 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4025 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (5932 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (32822 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (8311 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (7480 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (4668 views)