My dog is pooping blood.

Breed: Alaskan Malamute
What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was bloody diarrhea all over my apartment! I'm scared because there is some blood in the diarrhea! Why is my dog pooping blood? Is this an emergency?

Hi Susan...this can often be very scary! I have a few questions for you first before I answer though:

Is Winter still bright?
How is the dog's appetite?
Have you given him or her any new food or treats recently?
Any vomiting?

He did get some steak (no bone) two days ago when he cleaned the kids plates. He is eating but not much. No vomiting so far. I wouldn't say he is bright, but he is not really lethargic. sort of in the middle. Is blood in dog poop a serious issue?

We often get questions about dogs who are pooping with some blood and usually the owners are quite worried. However, with dogs, it only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding, so it is very common to have bleeding along with diarrhea. The steak is probably the culprit!

As long as your dog is bright and alert I would not be too worried. The best thing to do in cases like this is to give her a period of 24 hours with no food (water is ok) followed by small meals of chicken and rice. Then, after a couple of days you can gradually add back her regular dog food. Make sure she has no treats or table scraps in this time.

If she is still not feeling well in 24-48 hours or if you think she is very uncomfortable then a vet visit may be in order.

***ADDED***
I wanted to add some additional information for those reading this question. If your dog has bloody diarrhea and is NOT bright and alert, then there could be a serious problem. If your dog suddenly got bloody diarrhea and is really quiet, lethargic and not eating then this could be a sign of a condition called HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). HGE can be very serious and does need a vet visit right away.

As usual, let your gut be the judge. If you feel something is wrong, then it's best to be safe than sorry and see the vet!

I hope she does ok!

Thank you so much...I will follow your advice! This website is really great!

Susan in FL.

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (23157 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (10287 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (9621 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (10880 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (8761 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (54795 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (27944 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (18513 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (14515 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (7863 views)