mycoplasma felis respiratory infection

Breed: Bengal
Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your opinion. We are currently treating him for mycoplasma felis with Doxycycline. I see some improvement after 10 days, but he's still has some sneezing and mucus issues. The medicine is supposed to be for 21 days so there's still lots of time for improvement, I suppose.

Here's the concern, and I haven't received a firm answer from our vet. Everything I have read indicates that a cat with mycoplasma felis will become a carrier, even after treatment. What is the risk of infection of our other 2 bengals and how concerned should we be?

BTW - he was also diagnosed with Tritrichomonas Foetus and we are supposed to get ronidazole tomorrow and start him on it.

And just so you know, he is currently quarantined, so no contact with the other cats. And because of the TF, that will be true for a few weeks more until he tests clear of it.

Dean

Oh, poor Indigo! He sure has been through a lot.

Just for clarification (in case anyone else is reading this question) you are talking about the respiratory form of mycoplasma felis. The other type of mycoplasma is something called mycoplasma HEMOfelis. This used to be called hemobartonella. Mycoplasma hemofelis is spread by fleas and causes anemia (decrease in red blood cells).

However, mycoplasma felis (no hemo) is different. It is believed that in most cats that have respiratory disease complicated by mycoplasma, the mycoplasma is not the main culprit but simply a bystander. It may make existing respiratory disease either worse or more difficult to treat.

So, some cats can be carriers for mycoplasma felis and never get rid of the organism completely. However, they only shed this organism when they are actively having nasal discharge.

I did a bunch of research for you in a large database of cases and could not find much information on how risky it would be to the other cats if Indigo was actually shedding mycoplasma felis. It seems to be that if there was another organism present (such as herpesvirus) and then they got mycoplasma then sickness could happen. However, it is not a common occurrence. The general consensus seems to be that there is not a big concern about a cat spreading mycoplasma felis to other cats.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I think you are doing all the right things.

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (37874 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17274 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10238 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (16683 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (46832 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4572 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (17264 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (10161 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7759 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22769 views)