mycoplasma felis respiratory infection

Breed: Bengal
Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your opinion. We are currently treating him for mycoplasma felis with Doxycycline. I see some improvement after 10 days, but he's still has some sneezing and mucus issues. The medicine is supposed to be for 21 days so there's still lots of time for improvement, I suppose.

Here's the concern, and I haven't received a firm answer from our vet. Everything I have read indicates that a cat with mycoplasma felis will become a carrier, even after treatment. What is the risk of infection of our other 2 bengals and how concerned should we be?

BTW - he was also diagnosed with Tritrichomonas Foetus and we are supposed to get ronidazole tomorrow and start him on it.

And just so you know, he is currently quarantined, so no contact with the other cats. And because of the TF, that will be true for a few weeks more until he tests clear of it.

Dean

Oh, poor Indigo! He sure has been through a lot.

Just for clarification (in case anyone else is reading this question) you are talking about the respiratory form of mycoplasma felis. The other type of mycoplasma is something called mycoplasma HEMOfelis. This used to be called hemobartonella. Mycoplasma hemofelis is spread by fleas and causes anemia (decrease in red blood cells).

However, mycoplasma felis (no hemo) is different. It is believed that in most cats that have respiratory disease complicated by mycoplasma, the mycoplasma is not the main culprit but simply a bystander. It may make existing respiratory disease either worse or more difficult to treat.

So, some cats can be carriers for mycoplasma felis and never get rid of the organism completely. However, they only shed this organism when they are actively having nasal discharge.

I did a bunch of research for you in a large database of cases and could not find much information on how risky it would be to the other cats if Indigo was actually shedding mycoplasma felis. It seems to be that if there was another organism present (such as herpesvirus) and then they got mycoplasma then sickness could happen. However, it is not a common occurrence. The general consensus seems to be that there is not a big concern about a cat spreading mycoplasma felis to other cats.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I think you are doing all the right things.

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (6091 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (21472 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (18075 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (25006 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (24453 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (18580 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (78354 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (28378 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (11029 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24690 views)