mycoplasma felis respiratory infection

Breed: Bengal
Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your opinion. We are currently treating him for mycoplasma felis with Doxycycline. I see some improvement after 10 days, but he's still has some sneezing and mucus issues. The medicine is supposed to be for 21 days so there's still lots of time for improvement, I suppose.

Here's the concern, and I haven't received a firm answer from our vet. Everything I have read indicates that a cat with mycoplasma felis will become a carrier, even after treatment. What is the risk of infection of our other 2 bengals and how concerned should we be?

BTW - he was also diagnosed with Tritrichomonas Foetus and we are supposed to get ronidazole tomorrow and start him on it.

And just so you know, he is currently quarantined, so no contact with the other cats. And because of the TF, that will be true for a few weeks more until he tests clear of it.

Dean

Oh, poor Indigo! He sure has been through a lot.

Just for clarification (in case anyone else is reading this question) you are talking about the respiratory form of mycoplasma felis. The other type of mycoplasma is something called mycoplasma HEMOfelis. This used to be called hemobartonella. Mycoplasma hemofelis is spread by fleas and causes anemia (decrease in red blood cells).

However, mycoplasma felis (no hemo) is different. It is believed that in most cats that have respiratory disease complicated by mycoplasma, the mycoplasma is not the main culprit but simply a bystander. It may make existing respiratory disease either worse or more difficult to treat.

So, some cats can be carriers for mycoplasma felis and never get rid of the organism completely. However, they only shed this organism when they are actively having nasal discharge.

I did a bunch of research for you in a large database of cases and could not find much information on how risky it would be to the other cats if Indigo was actually shedding mycoplasma felis. It seems to be that if there was another organism present (such as herpesvirus) and then they got mycoplasma then sickness could happen. However, it is not a common occurrence. The general consensus seems to be that there is not a big concern about a cat spreading mycoplasma felis to other cats.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I think you are doing all the right things.

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13181 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (9267 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17273 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8753 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (49392 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8579 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (12509 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10034 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (20635 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9096 views)