mycoplasma felis respiratory infection

Breed: Bengal
Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your opinion. We are currently treating him for mycoplasma felis with Doxycycline. I see some improvement after 10 days, but he's still has some sneezing and mucus issues. The medicine is supposed to be for 21 days so there's still lots of time for improvement, I suppose.

Here's the concern, and I haven't received a firm answer from our vet. Everything I have read indicates that a cat with mycoplasma felis will become a carrier, even after treatment. What is the risk of infection of our other 2 bengals and how concerned should we be?

BTW - he was also diagnosed with Tritrichomonas Foetus and we are supposed to get ronidazole tomorrow and start him on it.

And just so you know, he is currently quarantined, so no contact with the other cats. And because of the TF, that will be true for a few weeks more until he tests clear of it.

Dean

Oh, poor Indigo! He sure has been through a lot.

Just for clarification (in case anyone else is reading this question) you are talking about the respiratory form of mycoplasma felis. The other type of mycoplasma is something called mycoplasma HEMOfelis. This used to be called hemobartonella. Mycoplasma hemofelis is spread by fleas and causes anemia (decrease in red blood cells).

However, mycoplasma felis (no hemo) is different. It is believed that in most cats that have respiratory disease complicated by mycoplasma, the mycoplasma is not the main culprit but simply a bystander. It may make existing respiratory disease either worse or more difficult to treat.

So, some cats can be carriers for mycoplasma felis and never get rid of the organism completely. However, they only shed this organism when they are actively having nasal discharge.

I did a bunch of research for you in a large database of cases and could not find much information on how risky it would be to the other cats if Indigo was actually shedding mycoplasma felis. It seems to be that if there was another organism present (such as herpesvirus) and then they got mycoplasma then sickness could happen. However, it is not a common occurrence. The general consensus seems to be that there is not a big concern about a cat spreading mycoplasma felis to other cats.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I think you are doing all the right things.

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (16727 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (28045 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (16649 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (18060 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (10002 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (96213 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (40894 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (18071 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (8855 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (15984 views)