Swollen foot because of bandage.

Breed: greyhound mix
Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get them out he ripped one of them. didnt seem to bother him too much, but I had to leave that day and he was staying with a friend for the weekend. We wrapped it so it would stay clean. I think i wrapped it too tight, and the foot became quite swollen. It was wrapped for 2 nights before my friend took the bandage off. The original wounded area seems fine, slightly pink but no puss, no funny smell, etc. However, the side toe is quite irritated, and the foot is still fairly swollen. I am worried I wrapped it so tight that the toenail was cutting into him. He keeps licking the area where the nail would have been against his skin, it is red, and white around the actual toe/inside of toe. He can put some weight on it, but hops and holds it up sometimes. this all happened this past weekend.

Ah, sorry to hear that Bodhi is having this problem. This is one of the main reasons why I advise owners against putting on a bandage. They almost always put it on too tight. What happens is that it affects the blood supply and something called the lymphatic supply to the foot. This is probably why the foot is so bothersome to him.

In most cases this type of problem will get better on it's own, but usually within 1-2 days. If it has been more than 2 days then I would recommend that the vet takes a look at him. Actually, if he is not bearing much weight on it then it means he is painful and it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look so that he can get some appropriate pain medications.

If there has been significant damage then this can result in necrosis which is a condition where the tissue dies because of lack of blood flow. Most likely this is not happening, but if the problem seems to be getting worse rather than better or if the skin starts turning a dark purple or black color then he needs to be seen.

It may help a little bit to soak the foot in an epsom salt solution. You can do this 3 times daily.

If he is continually improving and the skin color is not getting darker then it may be ok to wait things out. But again, if he is not improving, seems painful or has dark skin then I would have him seen sooner rather than later.

I hope things look up soon!

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (17654 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (58277 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (6019 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (8629 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (7926 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (7710 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (8597 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (29665 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (19000 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (11531 views)