Swollen foot because of bandage.

Breed: greyhound mix
Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get them out he ripped one of them. didnt seem to bother him too much, but I had to leave that day and he was staying with a friend for the weekend. We wrapped it so it would stay clean. I think i wrapped it too tight, and the foot became quite swollen. It was wrapped for 2 nights before my friend took the bandage off. The original wounded area seems fine, slightly pink but no puss, no funny smell, etc. However, the side toe is quite irritated, and the foot is still fairly swollen. I am worried I wrapped it so tight that the toenail was cutting into him. He keeps licking the area where the nail would have been against his skin, it is red, and white around the actual toe/inside of toe. He can put some weight on it, but hops and holds it up sometimes. this all happened this past weekend.

Ah, sorry to hear that Bodhi is having this problem. This is one of the main reasons why I advise owners against putting on a bandage. They almost always put it on too tight. What happens is that it affects the blood supply and something called the lymphatic supply to the foot. This is probably why the foot is so bothersome to him.

In most cases this type of problem will get better on it's own, but usually within 1-2 days. If it has been more than 2 days then I would recommend that the vet takes a look at him. Actually, if he is not bearing much weight on it then it means he is painful and it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look so that he can get some appropriate pain medications.

If there has been significant damage then this can result in necrosis which is a condition where the tissue dies because of lack of blood flow. Most likely this is not happening, but if the problem seems to be getting worse rather than better or if the skin starts turning a dark purple or black color then he needs to be seen.

It may help a little bit to soak the foot in an epsom salt solution. You can do this 3 times daily.

If he is continually improving and the skin color is not getting darker then it may be ok to wait things out. But again, if he is not improving, seems painful or has dark skin then I would have him seen sooner rather than later.

I hope things look up soon!

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (4205 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (7241 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (9378 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (7201 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (10295 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (7734 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (15998 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (6034 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (16439 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (21738 views)