Swollen foot because of bandage.

Breed: greyhound mix
Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get them out he ripped one of them. didnt seem to bother him too much, but I had to leave that day and he was staying with a friend for the weekend. We wrapped it so it would stay clean. I think i wrapped it too tight, and the foot became quite swollen. It was wrapped for 2 nights before my friend took the bandage off. The original wounded area seems fine, slightly pink but no puss, no funny smell, etc. However, the side toe is quite irritated, and the foot is still fairly swollen. I am worried I wrapped it so tight that the toenail was cutting into him. He keeps licking the area where the nail would have been against his skin, it is red, and white around the actual toe/inside of toe. He can put some weight on it, but hops and holds it up sometimes. this all happened this past weekend.

Ah, sorry to hear that Bodhi is having this problem. This is one of the main reasons why I advise owners against putting on a bandage. They almost always put it on too tight. What happens is that it affects the blood supply and something called the lymphatic supply to the foot. This is probably why the foot is so bothersome to him.

In most cases this type of problem will get better on it's own, but usually within 1-2 days. If it has been more than 2 days then I would recommend that the vet takes a look at him. Actually, if he is not bearing much weight on it then it means he is painful and it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look so that he can get some appropriate pain medications.

If there has been significant damage then this can result in necrosis which is a condition where the tissue dies because of lack of blood flow. Most likely this is not happening, but if the problem seems to be getting worse rather than better or if the skin starts turning a dark purple or black color then he needs to be seen.

It may help a little bit to soak the foot in an epsom salt solution. You can do this 3 times daily.

If he is continually improving and the skin color is not getting darker then it may be ok to wait things out. But again, if he is not improving, seems painful or has dark skin then I would have him seen sooner rather than later.

I hope things look up soon!

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (7194 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (8769 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (7451 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (24570 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (5545 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (5855 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (88926 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (3241 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (14007 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (4888 views)