Swollen foot because of bandage.

Breed: greyhound mix
Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get them out he ripped one of them. didnt seem to bother him too much, but I had to leave that day and he was staying with a friend for the weekend. We wrapped it so it would stay clean. I think i wrapped it too tight, and the foot became quite swollen. It was wrapped for 2 nights before my friend took the bandage off. The original wounded area seems fine, slightly pink but no puss, no funny smell, etc. However, the side toe is quite irritated, and the foot is still fairly swollen. I am worried I wrapped it so tight that the toenail was cutting into him. He keeps licking the area where the nail would have been against his skin, it is red, and white around the actual toe/inside of toe. He can put some weight on it, but hops and holds it up sometimes. this all happened this past weekend.

Ah, sorry to hear that Bodhi is having this problem. This is one of the main reasons why I advise owners against putting on a bandage. They almost always put it on too tight. What happens is that it affects the blood supply and something called the lymphatic supply to the foot. This is probably why the foot is so bothersome to him.

In most cases this type of problem will get better on it's own, but usually within 1-2 days. If it has been more than 2 days then I would recommend that the vet takes a look at him. Actually, if he is not bearing much weight on it then it means he is painful and it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look so that he can get some appropriate pain medications.

If there has been significant damage then this can result in necrosis which is a condition where the tissue dies because of lack of blood flow. Most likely this is not happening, but if the problem seems to be getting worse rather than better or if the skin starts turning a dark purple or black color then he needs to be seen.

It may help a little bit to soak the foot in an epsom salt solution. You can do this 3 times daily.

If he is continually improving and the skin color is not getting darker then it may be ok to wait things out. But again, if he is not improving, seems painful or has dark skin then I would have him seen sooner rather than later.

I hope things look up soon!

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (5613 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (43904 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (12272 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (137054 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (67035 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (27339 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (19032 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13092 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (29933 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10628 views)