Species: Dog Breed: Golden Retriever Age: 2-5 years
My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. He seems fine.
Dr. Marie replied:
I have seen a number of dogs that really like eating soap. I have no idea why!
There is nothing toxic for dogs in soap. Many dogs can get some mild stomach or intestinal upset after eating soap, so you may see some vomiting or diarrhea.
If a big chunk of soap broke off there is a small possibility that it could cause an intestinal obstruction, but this would be pretty unlikely.
I would advise to keep an eye on him for now. If he vomits or has diarrhea once or twice I'm not too worried. But, if over the next few days he doesn't want to eat or he is really lethargic or if he continues to vomit beyond 24 hours then he really should see his vet.
Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.
Dr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.
Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.