Dog ate soap.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. He seems fine.

I have seen a number of dogs that really like eating soap. I have no idea why!

There is nothing toxic for dogs in soap. Many dogs can get some mild stomach or intestinal upset after eating soap, so you may see some vomiting or diarrhea.

If a big chunk of soap broke off there is a small possibility that it could cause an intestinal obstruction, but this would be pretty unlikely.

I would advise to keep an eye on him for now. If he vomits or has diarrhea once or twice I'm not too worried. But, if over the next few days he doesn't want to eat or he is really lethargic or if he continues to vomit beyond 24 hours then he really should see his vet.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (4017 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (5998 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (4404 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (3950 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (8822 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (15191 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (3444 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (2309 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (5998 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (6594 views)