Dog ate soap.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. He seems fine.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I have seen a number of dogs that really like eating soap. I have no idea why!

There is nothing toxic for dogs in soap. Many dogs can get some mild stomach or intestinal upset after eating soap, so you may see some vomiting or diarrhea.

If a big chunk of soap broke off there is a small possibility that it could cause an intestinal obstruction, but this would be pretty unlikely.

I would advise to keep an eye on him for now. If he vomits or has diarrhea once or twice I'm not too worried. But, if over the next few days he doesn't want to eat or he is really lethargic or if he continues to vomit beyond 24 hours then he really should see his vet.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (3950 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (7446 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (5636 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (19789 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (9711 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (9210 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (8043 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (6262 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (2580 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (3817 views)