Dog ate soap.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. He seems fine.

I have seen a number of dogs that really like eating soap. I have no idea why!

There is nothing toxic for dogs in soap. Many dogs can get some mild stomach or intestinal upset after eating soap, so you may see some vomiting or diarrhea.

If a big chunk of soap broke off there is a small possibility that it could cause an intestinal obstruction, but this would be pretty unlikely.

I would advise to keep an eye on him for now. If he vomits or has diarrhea once or twice I'm not too worried. But, if over the next few days he doesn't want to eat or he is really lethargic or if he continues to vomit beyond 24 hours then he really should see his vet.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (4581 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (3270 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (7858 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (7121 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (3143 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (1180 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (3893 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (5071 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (1044 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (17642 views)