Dog ate soap.

Breed: Golden Retriever
My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. He seems fine.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I have seen a number of dogs that really like eating soap. I have no idea why!

There is nothing toxic for dogs in soap. Many dogs can get some mild stomach or intestinal upset after eating soap, so you may see some vomiting or diarrhea.

If a big chunk of soap broke off there is a small possibility that it could cause an intestinal obstruction, but this would be pretty unlikely.

I would advise to keep an eye on him for now. If he vomits or has diarrhea once or twice I'm not too worried. But, if over the next few days he doesn't want to eat or he is really lethargic or if he continues to vomit beyond 24 hours then he really should see his vet.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (9633 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (6783 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (3441 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (10041 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (10712 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (8179 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (5706 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (5326 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (7429 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (6714 views)