What is this red lump on my dog's leg?

Breed: rat terrier
dear dr marie,
in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s leg what could it be ?
she has been constantly licking this boil .is this something we should be concerned?I am sending you 3 pictures named schandel 1,2 and 3 attached with my e mail regarding to how this red bump looks like.

thank you

Thank you for the excellent photos that you sent me of this red lump on your dog's leg. I have included one photo here:

red lump on dog's leg

It is always hard to talk about lumps without being able to feel and see the lump in person. While I can't give you a diagnosis online, I can tell you that I am a little concerned by what I am seeing.

There are a few possibilities for what this could be, but the two most common lumps that can look like this are either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma.

A mast cell tumor in this location (on the leg) has the potential to be serious. There are different grades of mast cell tumors and many of them can be cured with surgery. However, some can be serious types of cancers. Mast cell tumors can be itchy because they can release histamine.

A histiocytoma can look exactly like this as well. Fortunately a histiocytoma is not usually a serious issue. These lumps appear for no reason and then eventually after a month or two go away on their own with no treatment. Histiocytomas are more common on younger animals, but I have seen them in animals of all ages.

It could be something else like a reaction to an insect sting or a strange cyst or something else but I think that either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma are most likely.

I would highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible for this. I don't mean to be alarmist, but if it is a mast cell tumor then the sooner it is dealt with the better. If it is a histiocytoma, well then at least you know you don't need to worry. The vet will do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a tiny needle in the mass and draw some cells out. Most dogs tolerate this really well. The vet will look at the cells under a microscope or may decide to send it to a lab to look at. It is usually quite easy to tell the difference between mast cell tumors and histiocytomas.

I hope everything goes well. I would really appreciate if you are able to post back to this question once you get a diagnosis.

thank you very much dr marie
that was very informative. I will keep you posted on the diagnosis.yesterday i had purchased an ointment called corona multipurpose for pets do you think that will work?

I am not familiar with this ointment but I can guarantee you that there is no ointment or cream that will take this away!

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (7451 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (6397 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (15836 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (9460 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (6493 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (78414 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (13347 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (8801 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (14745 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (7001 views)