What is this red lump on my dog's leg?

Breed: rat terrier
dear dr marie,
in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s leg what could it be ?
she has been constantly licking this boil .is this something we should be concerned?I am sending you 3 pictures named schandel 1,2 and 3 attached with my e mail regarding to how this red bump looks like.

thank you

Thank you for the excellent photos that you sent me of this red lump on your dog's leg. I have included one photo here:

red lump on dog's leg

It is always hard to talk about lumps without being able to feel and see the lump in person. While I can't give you a diagnosis online, I can tell you that I am a little concerned by what I am seeing.

There are a few possibilities for what this could be, but the two most common lumps that can look like this are either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma.

A mast cell tumor in this location (on the leg) has the potential to be serious. There are different grades of mast cell tumors and many of them can be cured with surgery. However, some can be serious types of cancers. Mast cell tumors can be itchy because they can release histamine.

A histiocytoma can look exactly like this as well. Fortunately a histiocytoma is not usually a serious issue. These lumps appear for no reason and then eventually after a month or two go away on their own with no treatment. Histiocytomas are more common on younger animals, but I have seen them in animals of all ages.

It could be something else like a reaction to an insect sting or a strange cyst or something else but I think that either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma are most likely.

I would highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible for this. I don't mean to be alarmist, but if it is a mast cell tumor then the sooner it is dealt with the better. If it is a histiocytoma, well then at least you know you don't need to worry. The vet will do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a tiny needle in the mass and draw some cells out. Most dogs tolerate this really well. The vet will look at the cells under a microscope or may decide to send it to a lab to look at. It is usually quite easy to tell the difference between mast cell tumors and histiocytomas.

I hope everything goes well. I would really appreciate if you are able to post back to this question once you get a diagnosis.

thank you very much dr marie
that was very informative. I will keep you posted on the diagnosis.yesterday i had purchased an ointment called corona multipurpose for pets do you think that will work?

I am not familiar with this ointment but I can guarantee you that there is no ointment or cream that will take this away!

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6117 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (10258 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (13776 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (15208 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (7660 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (14521 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (9181 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7272 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (22455 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (4488 views)