What is this red lump on my dog's leg?

Breed: rat terrier
dear dr marie,
in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s leg what could it be ?
she has been constantly licking this boil .is this something we should be concerned?I am sending you 3 pictures named schandel 1,2 and 3 attached with my e mail regarding to how this red bump looks like.

thank you

Thank you for the excellent photos that you sent me of this red lump on your dog's leg. I have included one photo here:

red lump on dog's leg

It is always hard to talk about lumps without being able to feel and see the lump in person. While I can't give you a diagnosis online, I can tell you that I am a little concerned by what I am seeing.

There are a few possibilities for what this could be, but the two most common lumps that can look like this are either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma.

A mast cell tumor in this location (on the leg) has the potential to be serious. There are different grades of mast cell tumors and many of them can be cured with surgery. However, some can be serious types of cancers. Mast cell tumors can be itchy because they can release histamine.

A histiocytoma can look exactly like this as well. Fortunately a histiocytoma is not usually a serious issue. These lumps appear for no reason and then eventually after a month or two go away on their own with no treatment. Histiocytomas are more common on younger animals, but I have seen them in animals of all ages.

It could be something else like a reaction to an insect sting or a strange cyst or something else but I think that either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma are most likely.

I would highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible for this. I don't mean to be alarmist, but if it is a mast cell tumor then the sooner it is dealt with the better. If it is a histiocytoma, well then at least you know you don't need to worry. The vet will do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a tiny needle in the mass and draw some cells out. Most dogs tolerate this really well. The vet will look at the cells under a microscope or may decide to send it to a lab to look at. It is usually quite easy to tell the difference between mast cell tumors and histiocytomas.

I hope everything goes well. I would really appreciate if you are able to post back to this question once you get a diagnosis.

thank you very much dr marie
that was very informative. I will keep you posted on the diagnosis.yesterday i had purchased an ointment called corona multipurpose for pets do you think that will work?

I am not familiar with this ointment but I can guarantee you that there is no ointment or cream that will take this away!

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (17962 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (5943 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (48329 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (4909 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (7421 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (10834 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (14597 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (9504 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (11262 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (11249 views)