What is this red lump on my dog's leg?

Breed: rat terrier
dear dr marie,
in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s leg what could it be ?
she has been constantly licking this boil .is this something we should be concerned?I am sending you 3 pictures named schandel 1,2 and 3 attached with my e mail regarding to how this red bump looks like.

thank you

Thank you for the excellent photos that you sent me of this red lump on your dog's leg. I have included one photo here:

red lump on dog's leg

It is always hard to talk about lumps without being able to feel and see the lump in person. While I can't give you a diagnosis online, I can tell you that I am a little concerned by what I am seeing.

There are a few possibilities for what this could be, but the two most common lumps that can look like this are either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma.

A mast cell tumor in this location (on the leg) has the potential to be serious. There are different grades of mast cell tumors and many of them can be cured with surgery. However, some can be serious types of cancers. Mast cell tumors can be itchy because they can release histamine.

A histiocytoma can look exactly like this as well. Fortunately a histiocytoma is not usually a serious issue. These lumps appear for no reason and then eventually after a month or two go away on their own with no treatment. Histiocytomas are more common on younger animals, but I have seen them in animals of all ages.

It could be something else like a reaction to an insect sting or a strange cyst or something else but I think that either a mast cell tumor or a histiocytoma are most likely.

I would highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible for this. I don't mean to be alarmist, but if it is a mast cell tumor then the sooner it is dealt with the better. If it is a histiocytoma, well then at least you know you don't need to worry. The vet will do a test called a fine needle aspirate where they put a tiny needle in the mass and draw some cells out. Most dogs tolerate this really well. The vet will look at the cells under a microscope or may decide to send it to a lab to look at. It is usually quite easy to tell the difference between mast cell tumors and histiocytomas.

I hope everything goes well. I would really appreciate if you are able to post back to this question once you get a diagnosis.

thank you very much dr marie
that was very informative. I will keep you posted on the diagnosis.yesterday i had purchased an ointment called corona multipurpose for pets do you think that will work?

I am not familiar with this ointment but I can guarantee you that there is no ointment or cream that will take this away!

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (8136 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (9558 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (47385 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (5819 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (38640 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (32739 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11843 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (19162 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10608 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (27429 views)