Dog ate a feminine pad.

Breed: German Shorthaired P
My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.
He is always getting in to the garbage, he was not trained before we got him and its taking a lot to get him to listen.

My problem is that tonight, I had a used feminine pad in the bathroom garbage. He ate the whole thing, we're pretty sure whole. It was one that didn't have wings and its a light day one but not just a liner. We've searched everywhere and can't find any of it anywhere so we are almost positive that he ate the whole thing whole. Should we be concerned? what do we do? How long will it take for him to pass this?

He hasn't acted strangely yet, after being scolded he did drink some water like normal and then went and laid down and went to sleep like normal. Should we be concerned? what

I am always amazed by the things dogs will eat!

Believe it or not, I have seen a few dogs eat feminine pads.

The main concern is that the pad will absorb fluid and expand in his stomach. However, the other dogs that I have seen eat maxi pads have passed them normally in their stool within 48 hours.

It would be a good idea to feed him some high fiber food such as a bran muffin, or some canned food with a small amount of bran or metamucil in it. This will help to bulk up his stool and get things moving through his intestines.

This is a situation where I wouldn't recommend trying to make him vomit as there is a small chance that the pad could get stuck in the esophagus.

In the next few days here are some symptoms to watch for:
  • vomiting

• lack of appetite

• trouble having a bowel movement

• obvious abdominal pain

If you are seeing any of these things then he will need to see a vet and may need to either have surgery or to have an endoscope put into his stomach to pull the pad out.

Most likely he will be just fine. You will have to watch his stools for the next few days to see if the pad has made an appearance!

I will be heading offline soon. (It is bedtime for me!) But, I will check in on you in the morning in case you have more concerns.

How long should we wait if we haven't seen him pass it to see the vet?

would feeding him a small laxitive help? or will that make it worse and juse feed him foods with Bran?

Would it be ok if we leave him alone or should we try to stay with him until he passes it?

Oh good...you caught me just as I was logging out...

If you haven't seen it within 3 days then I think a vet visit is a good idea. (Or, if he's showing any of the above symptoms then go to the vet sooner.)

I think the bran would be the best idea for now. The other thing that could help would be if you had any cat hairball medication. You could give two inches of this (it comes out like toothpaste) once a day. This will act as a mild laxative. There really aren't too many other laxatives that I would feel comfortable giving him without veterinary supervision.

I don't see a problem with leaving him alone for a while. This is not likely to cause a sudden problem.

I hope that helps. Again, feel free to post back to this question in the morning. I am definitely heading to bed now, but again, will check in on you in the morning.

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (5019 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (38382 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (9477 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (7152 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (7601 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (3369 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (28942 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (5627 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (6013 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (4500 views)