Dog ate a feminine pad.

Breed: German Shorthaired P
My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.
He is always getting in to the garbage, he was not trained before we got him and its taking a lot to get him to listen.

My problem is that tonight, I had a used feminine pad in the bathroom garbage. He ate the whole thing, we're pretty sure whole. It was one that didn't have wings and its a light day one but not just a liner. We've searched everywhere and can't find any of it anywhere so we are almost positive that he ate the whole thing whole. Should we be concerned? what do we do? How long will it take for him to pass this?

He hasn't acted strangely yet, after being scolded he did drink some water like normal and then went and laid down and went to sleep like normal. Should we be concerned? what

I am always amazed by the things dogs will eat!

Believe it or not, I have seen a few dogs eat feminine pads.

The main concern is that the pad will absorb fluid and expand in his stomach. However, the other dogs that I have seen eat maxi pads have passed them normally in their stool within 48 hours.

It would be a good idea to feed him some high fiber food such as a bran muffin, or some canned food with a small amount of bran or metamucil in it. This will help to bulk up his stool and get things moving through his intestines.

This is a situation where I wouldn't recommend trying to make him vomit as there is a small chance that the pad could get stuck in the esophagus.

In the next few days here are some symptoms to watch for:
  • vomiting

• lack of appetite

• trouble having a bowel movement

• obvious abdominal pain

If you are seeing any of these things then he will need to see a vet and may need to either have surgery or to have an endoscope put into his stomach to pull the pad out.

Most likely he will be just fine. You will have to watch his stools for the next few days to see if the pad has made an appearance!

I will be heading offline soon. (It is bedtime for me!) But, I will check in on you in the morning in case you have more concerns.

How long should we wait if we haven't seen him pass it to see the vet?

would feeding him a small laxitive help? or will that make it worse and juse feed him foods with Bran?

Would it be ok if we leave him alone or should we try to stay with him until he passes it?

Oh good...you caught me just as I was logging out...

If you haven't seen it within 3 days then I think a vet visit is a good idea. (Or, if he's showing any of the above symptoms then go to the vet sooner.)

I think the bran would be the best idea for now. The other thing that could help would be if you had any cat hairball medication. You could give two inches of this (it comes out like toothpaste) once a day. This will act as a mild laxative. There really aren't too many other laxatives that I would feel comfortable giving him without veterinary supervision.

I don't see a problem with leaving him alone for a while. This is not likely to cause a sudden problem.

I hope that helps. Again, feel free to post back to this question in the morning. I am definitely heading to bed now, but again, will check in on you in the morning.

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (22947 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (14128 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8560 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (25908 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7148 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11710 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8613 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (13974 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (9991 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20159 views)