Dog ate a feminine pad.

Breed: German Shorthaired P
My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.
He is always getting in to the garbage, he was not trained before we got him and its taking a lot to get him to listen.

My problem is that tonight, I had a used feminine pad in the bathroom garbage. He ate the whole thing, we're pretty sure whole. It was one that didn't have wings and its a light day one but not just a liner. We've searched everywhere and can't find any of it anywhere so we are almost positive that he ate the whole thing whole. Should we be concerned? what do we do? How long will it take for him to pass this?

He hasn't acted strangely yet, after being scolded he did drink some water like normal and then went and laid down and went to sleep like normal. Should we be concerned? what

I am always amazed by the things dogs will eat!

Believe it or not, I have seen a few dogs eat feminine pads.

The main concern is that the pad will absorb fluid and expand in his stomach. However, the other dogs that I have seen eat maxi pads have passed them normally in their stool within 48 hours.

It would be a good idea to feed him some high fiber food such as a bran muffin, or some canned food with a small amount of bran or metamucil in it. This will help to bulk up his stool and get things moving through his intestines.

This is a situation where I wouldn't recommend trying to make him vomit as there is a small chance that the pad could get stuck in the esophagus.

In the next few days here are some symptoms to watch for:
  • vomiting

• lack of appetite

• trouble having a bowel movement

• obvious abdominal pain

If you are seeing any of these things then he will need to see a vet and may need to either have surgery or to have an endoscope put into his stomach to pull the pad out.

Most likely he will be just fine. You will have to watch his stools for the next few days to see if the pad has made an appearance!

I will be heading offline soon. (It is bedtime for me!) But, I will check in on you in the morning in case you have more concerns.

How long should we wait if we haven't seen him pass it to see the vet?

would feeding him a small laxitive help? or will that make it worse and juse feed him foods with Bran?

Would it be ok if we leave him alone or should we try to stay with him until he passes it?

Oh good...you caught me just as I was logging out...

If you haven't seen it within 3 days then I think a vet visit is a good idea. (Or, if he's showing any of the above symptoms then go to the vet sooner.)

I think the bran would be the best idea for now. The other thing that could help would be if you had any cat hairball medication. You could give two inches of this (it comes out like toothpaste) once a day. This will act as a mild laxative. There really aren't too many other laxatives that I would feel comfortable giving him without veterinary supervision.

I don't see a problem with leaving him alone for a while. This is not likely to cause a sudden problem.

I hope that helps. Again, feel free to post back to this question in the morning. I am definitely heading to bed now, but again, will check in on you in the morning.

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (16315 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (10081 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (10894 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (39369 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (14072 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (11394 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8563 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (89887 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (53408 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (17996 views)