Dog ate a feminine pad.

Breed: German Shorthaired P
My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.
He is always getting in to the garbage, he was not trained before we got him and its taking a lot to get him to listen.

My problem is that tonight, I had a used feminine pad in the bathroom garbage. He ate the whole thing, we're pretty sure whole. It was one that didn't have wings and its a light day one but not just a liner. We've searched everywhere and can't find any of it anywhere so we are almost positive that he ate the whole thing whole. Should we be concerned? what do we do? How long will it take for him to pass this?

He hasn't acted strangely yet, after being scolded he did drink some water like normal and then went and laid down and went to sleep like normal. Should we be concerned? what

I am always amazed by the things dogs will eat!

Believe it or not, I have seen a few dogs eat feminine pads.

The main concern is that the pad will absorb fluid and expand in his stomach. However, the other dogs that I have seen eat maxi pads have passed them normally in their stool within 48 hours.

It would be a good idea to feed him some high fiber food such as a bran muffin, or some canned food with a small amount of bran or metamucil in it. This will help to bulk up his stool and get things moving through his intestines.

This is a situation where I wouldn't recommend trying to make him vomit as there is a small chance that the pad could get stuck in the esophagus.

In the next few days here are some symptoms to watch for:
  • vomiting

• lack of appetite

• trouble having a bowel movement

• obvious abdominal pain

If you are seeing any of these things then he will need to see a vet and may need to either have surgery or to have an endoscope put into his stomach to pull the pad out.

Most likely he will be just fine. You will have to watch his stools for the next few days to see if the pad has made an appearance!

I will be heading offline soon. (It is bedtime for me!) But, I will check in on you in the morning in case you have more concerns.

How long should we wait if we haven't seen him pass it to see the vet?

would feeding him a small laxitive help? or will that make it worse and juse feed him foods with Bran?

Would it be ok if we leave him alone or should we try to stay with him until he passes it?

Oh good...you caught me just as I was logging out...

If you haven't seen it within 3 days then I think a vet visit is a good idea. (Or, if he's showing any of the above symptoms then go to the vet sooner.)

I think the bran would be the best idea for now. The other thing that could help would be if you had any cat hairball medication. You could give two inches of this (it comes out like toothpaste) once a day. This will act as a mild laxative. There really aren't too many other laxatives that I would feel comfortable giving him without veterinary supervision.

I don't see a problem with leaving him alone for a while. This is not likely to cause a sudden problem.

I hope that helps. Again, feel free to post back to this question in the morning. I am definitely heading to bed now, but again, will check in on you in the morning.

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (20953 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (31198 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7472 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9761 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26572 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12385 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (8253 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11217 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8689 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (12489 views)