Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft.

Breed: goolden
Hi Dr Marie,

I'm not sure if this is even an issue.

Max poops first thing in the morning. It's usually pretty solid though the quantity is impressive (I'm sure it must be about 15-18" long.

Some time midday is a smaller, solid poop.

At about 8 pm there's another pretty big poop. But this one does not have a solid exterior to it. It has a shape but if you pick it up its easy to mush.

I can remember at least one or two poops a day being this soft poop almost back to the time i got him.

My vet said he wasn't too concerned.

Should I be?

Good evening Jay!

I am not very concerned about the fact that Max has a large amount of stool, and also some soft stool.

But there are a few things that can cause this that could potentially be fixed, so I have some questions for you:

• What kind of food does Max eat?

• What kind of treats or table food does he get?

• If I remember right, he had giardia before, right? When was the last time he had a fecal exam done to be sure he is cleared of giardia?

Thanks...by the way, what do you think of my new site design? I launched it this afternoon.

He had 2 fecal exams. One more thorough than the other. Neither was positive. The liquid stool was resolved by putting him on i/d for a week then switching to p/d which he has been on.

In terms of human food, he hasn't had any for a couple of days but if anything it's apples, maybe a little cheese. The odd Medi-treat.

I just found it weird that this morning he had a huge, solid stool then 1 minute later a soft pile.

But if you say that's normal then I'm content with that. Otherwise he's very active and weighs about 50 lbs (at 6 months)

I like the new web design. Very proffessional.

Oh, and that wayward tooth.. "appears" to be moving between the canine and incisor. Fingers crossed.

...Jay

Thanks Jay, thanks for the info and I'm glad you like the new site! I have worked hard on it...still have a few bugs to fix here and there.

Again, it is probably not a problem that Max has some loose poop. However, it would be interesting to see if he has more formed stools if he was being fed a different food.

p/d is a great food, but every animal handles foods differently. Often when a dog has a large volume of stool it means that he is not absorbing enough of the nutrients as he should. Sometimes this can be because of an allergy, or sometimes the food just doesn't agree with him.

It would be great to try something different. It's hard to say what though. As p/d is a Hill's food, I would say to try a different brand. I personally like Royal Canin or Iams. You may hear bad stuff about Iams but check out the article I wrote about Iams pet food.

If he still had loose stools after that I likely wouldn't be too worried.

Hope that helps! And I am glad to hear that the tooth is lining up!

I was also thinking too much of it is going out the wrong end. I feed him 6 cups a day. Do you think he is not getting enough nutrition from it?

As for allergy. He's not exhibited any signs of allergies so far. Not to chicken, beef, pork or tuna.

I've read that a dog should be switched to an adult formula at 6 months. Maybe I will take the opportunity to see how a new food does.

But to be honest I think he's always had one of the day's stools be soft, since 2 months old.

Here's me being a programmer again. But what do you think of having the thread appear in reverse chronological order.
Just that I had to think for a moment because the "enter your reply" was right next to my original question not the most recent answer. I had to page down to recall what was said.

:)

That's a really good idea Jay...I was just thinking that as I had to scroll down to see your answer. I will do that!

So given that hes always seemed to have 1 soft stool a day and the others fine, could it be this is just his system?

And given the large volume of stool should I hurry up and get him on another food so he doesn't lose too much nutritional value, or is it really not that big a deal?

Thanks.

Jay

Ah, sorry, I didn't see you had replied twice. (Which confirms that I need to restructure the reply page!!!)

I do recommend that a dog switches to adult food at 6 months, so this is a good chance to make a change. Make sure you do the switch gradually over a period of a week or so.

And if the slightly soft stools persist I wouldn't be worried.

Small question - how to you stop a dog from wolfing his food down so fast he chokes on it :)

There are some neat products that can help Max to not wolf down his food so fast. Check out some of the products I listed in this answer:

How to stop your dog from eating too fast.

Some of those may help!

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (8396 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (17293 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (77315 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (6381 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (25127 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (8451 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (14260 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (8606 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (7432 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (7183 views)