Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft.

Breed: goolden
Hi Dr Marie,

I'm not sure if this is even an issue.

Max poops first thing in the morning. It's usually pretty solid though the quantity is impressive (I'm sure it must be about 15-18" long.

Some time midday is a smaller, solid poop.

At about 8 pm there's another pretty big poop. But this one does not have a solid exterior to it. It has a shape but if you pick it up its easy to mush.

I can remember at least one or two poops a day being this soft poop almost back to the time i got him.

My vet said he wasn't too concerned.

Should I be?

Good evening Jay!

I am not very concerned about the fact that Max has a large amount of stool, and also some soft stool.

But there are a few things that can cause this that could potentially be fixed, so I have some questions for you:

• What kind of food does Max eat?

• What kind of treats or table food does he get?

• If I remember right, he had giardia before, right? When was the last time he had a fecal exam done to be sure he is cleared of giardia?

Thanks...by the way, what do you think of my new site design? I launched it this afternoon.

He had 2 fecal exams. One more thorough than the other. Neither was positive. The liquid stool was resolved by putting him on i/d for a week then switching to p/d which he has been on.

In terms of human food, he hasn't had any for a couple of days but if anything it's apples, maybe a little cheese. The odd Medi-treat.

I just found it weird that this morning he had a huge, solid stool then 1 minute later a soft pile.

But if you say that's normal then I'm content with that. Otherwise he's very active and weighs about 50 lbs (at 6 months)

I like the new web design. Very proffessional.

Oh, and that wayward tooth.. "appears" to be moving between the canine and incisor. Fingers crossed.

...Jay

Thanks Jay, thanks for the info and I'm glad you like the new site! I have worked hard on it...still have a few bugs to fix here and there.

Again, it is probably not a problem that Max has some loose poop. However, it would be interesting to see if he has more formed stools if he was being fed a different food.

p/d is a great food, but every animal handles foods differently. Often when a dog has a large volume of stool it means that he is not absorbing enough of the nutrients as he should. Sometimes this can be because of an allergy, or sometimes the food just doesn't agree with him.

It would be great to try something different. It's hard to say what though. As p/d is a Hill's food, I would say to try a different brand. I personally like Royal Canin or Iams. You may hear bad stuff about Iams but check out the article I wrote about Iams pet food.

If he still had loose stools after that I likely wouldn't be too worried.

Hope that helps! And I am glad to hear that the tooth is lining up!

I was also thinking too much of it is going out the wrong end. I feed him 6 cups a day. Do you think he is not getting enough nutrition from it?

As for allergy. He's not exhibited any signs of allergies so far. Not to chicken, beef, pork or tuna.

I've read that a dog should be switched to an adult formula at 6 months. Maybe I will take the opportunity to see how a new food does.

But to be honest I think he's always had one of the day's stools be soft, since 2 months old.

Here's me being a programmer again. But what do you think of having the thread appear in reverse chronological order.
Just that I had to think for a moment because the "enter your reply" was right next to my original question not the most recent answer. I had to page down to recall what was said.

:)

That's a really good idea Jay...I was just thinking that as I had to scroll down to see your answer. I will do that!

So given that hes always seemed to have 1 soft stool a day and the others fine, could it be this is just his system?

And given the large volume of stool should I hurry up and get him on another food so he doesn't lose too much nutritional value, or is it really not that big a deal?

Thanks.

Jay

Ah, sorry, I didn't see you had replied twice. (Which confirms that I need to restructure the reply page!!!)

I do recommend that a dog switches to adult food at 6 months, so this is a good chance to make a change. Make sure you do the switch gradually over a period of a week or so.

And if the slightly soft stools persist I wouldn't be worried.

Small question - how to you stop a dog from wolfing his food down so fast he chokes on it :)

There are some neat products that can help Max to not wolf down his food so fast. Check out some of the products I listed in this answer:

How to stop your dog from eating too fast.

Some of those may help!

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (6205 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (3178 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (2985 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (3595 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (5069 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (6562 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (14103 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (50402 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (7838 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (34271 views)