Parvo protection.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's seen the vet. I don't know if he's had his 6 weeks shots or not but the breeder is extremely professional and highly recommended with 20 yrs experience.

I'm petrified about parvo.

I have an area of the front lawn that NO other dog has visited where he will pee. But, while I'm at work I will have a puppy sitter feed/water/pee him twice a day. Obviously she has other dogs.

I've read about parvo. All a dog has to do is sniff a shoe that stepped in poo 9 months ago and they can die painfully.

Please tell me...

1) how big of a risk do I face in reality?
2) How can I lessen the risk?
3) At what age do they receive enough immunity to walk in the park?

Thanks

Jay

Thanks for asking such a great question!

Parvo is much more common in some areas than others. A great idea would be to phone a few vet clinics in your area and ask how often they see cases of parvo. This can give you an idea of how prevalent the virus is in your area.

Most likely, the risk of parvo will be very small. A dog gets parvo by ingesting the virus. So, usually where we see dogs getting parvo is if a dog has stepped in diarrhea (that has parvo virus in it) and then licks his paws. He cannot get it from just sniffing a parvo infected area.

In theory the virus can stick around for many months which is why we advise people to clean things thoroughly with bleach if they have had a parvo positive puppy in the house. However, the chances of your dog just randomly picking up parvo from the bottom of someone's shoe are small.

Here's another factor that is in your favour...parvo is much more common in certain breeds. For some reason black and tan breeds like rottweilers and dobermans are more susceptible. While any dog can get parvo, Goldens are not as commonly affected as other dogs.

To answer your second and third questions, you can lessen the risk by only taking your new pup to areas that you know are safe. Stay away from public parks or areas where you know that lots of dogs defecate. The pup will have decent protection within a week of the second vaccine (likely given at 10-12 weeks of age), and very good protection after the third vaccine which will be given a month later.

Thank you for being so concerned about your new pup. I hope everything goes well for you!

Thank you Dr that puts my mind at ease a bit.

I'm still unsure about the risk a puppy sitter poses. She will be sitting for other dogs and picking up after then. I have read that parvo can exist asymptomatically.

What do you think?

Thank you.
Jay

Ah, yes, sorry for forgetting that part of your question!

An important question to ask your petsitter is whether all of her other clients are vaccinated (and whether she has seen proof of vaccines.)

If so, the risk is minimal.

An animal really can't be a carrier of parvo or exist asymptomatically. In theory, if Dog A stepped in Dog B's diarrhea (who had parvo) they could have virus particles on their foot and then if your dog licked that dog's foot then Max could get it. But there is a lot that has to happen in order for that to occur.

Going back and reading your question, I see that the pet sitter won't actually be taking Max with other dogs. What I would suggest is asking her to leave her shoes outside (in case she stepped in parvo-virus-laden stool) and that will virtually eliminate the risk.

Hope that answers the question for you!

last last last question I promise.

Is there any requirement or benefit for her to wash her hands in soap or alcohol sanitizer?

Thanks for everything

Jay

Sorry for the delay..I had gone to bed after my last reply.

While it won't hurt to have her wash her hands it is probably a little bit of overkill.

You're very welcome!

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (10930 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (12766 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (12752 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (18582 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (8525 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (14037 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (32505 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (17463 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (64083 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (10726 views)