Parvo protection.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's seen the vet. I don't know if he's had his 6 weeks shots or not but the breeder is extremely professional and highly recommended with 20 yrs experience.

I'm petrified about parvo.

I have an area of the front lawn that NO other dog has visited where he will pee. But, while I'm at work I will have a puppy sitter feed/water/pee him twice a day. Obviously she has other dogs.

I've read about parvo. All a dog has to do is sniff a shoe that stepped in poo 9 months ago and they can die painfully.

Please tell me...

1) how big of a risk do I face in reality?
2) How can I lessen the risk?
3) At what age do they receive enough immunity to walk in the park?

Thanks

Jay

Thanks for asking such a great question!

Parvo is much more common in some areas than others. A great idea would be to phone a few vet clinics in your area and ask how often they see cases of parvo. This can give you an idea of how prevalent the virus is in your area.

Most likely, the risk of parvo will be very small. A dog gets parvo by ingesting the virus. So, usually where we see dogs getting parvo is if a dog has stepped in diarrhea (that has parvo virus in it) and then licks his paws. He cannot get it from just sniffing a parvo infected area.

In theory the virus can stick around for many months which is why we advise people to clean things thoroughly with bleach if they have had a parvo positive puppy in the house. However, the chances of your dog just randomly picking up parvo from the bottom of someone's shoe are small.

Here's another factor that is in your favour...parvo is much more common in certain breeds. For some reason black and tan breeds like rottweilers and dobermans are more susceptible. While any dog can get parvo, Goldens are not as commonly affected as other dogs.

To answer your second and third questions, you can lessen the risk by only taking your new pup to areas that you know are safe. Stay away from public parks or areas where you know that lots of dogs defecate. The pup will have decent protection within a week of the second vaccine (likely given at 10-12 weeks of age), and very good protection after the third vaccine which will be given a month later.

Thank you for being so concerned about your new pup. I hope everything goes well for you!

Thank you Dr that puts my mind at ease a bit.

I'm still unsure about the risk a puppy sitter poses. She will be sitting for other dogs and picking up after then. I have read that parvo can exist asymptomatically.

What do you think?

Thank you.
Jay

Ah, yes, sorry for forgetting that part of your question!

An important question to ask your petsitter is whether all of her other clients are vaccinated (and whether she has seen proof of vaccines.)

If so, the risk is minimal.

An animal really can't be a carrier of parvo or exist asymptomatically. In theory, if Dog A stepped in Dog B's diarrhea (who had parvo) they could have virus particles on their foot and then if your dog licked that dog's foot then Max could get it. But there is a lot that has to happen in order for that to occur.

Going back and reading your question, I see that the pet sitter won't actually be taking Max with other dogs. What I would suggest is asking her to leave her shoes outside (in case she stepped in parvo-virus-laden stool) and that will virtually eliminate the risk.

Hope that answers the question for you!

last last last question I promise.

Is there any requirement or benefit for her to wash her hands in soap or alcohol sanitizer?

Thanks for everything

Jay

Sorry for the delay..I had gone to bed after my last reply.

While it won't hurt to have her wash her hands it is probably a little bit of overkill.

You're very welcome!

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25767 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8790 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11350 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10110 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18594 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41946 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (6719 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (11930 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9018 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (31556 views)