Dog ate sewing needle.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I do?

Oh dear! This can be a serious problem.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take an xray of Brady's abdomen. A sewing needle will definitely show up on the xray and we will be able to tell if it is in his stomach or intestines.

Depending on where it is, your vet will help you determine what to do. If it is in the stomach they may talk about using an endoscope to get it out. If it is in the intestines you may need to be considering surgery.

If neither of these options are in your budget your vet may talk to you about adding some fiber to his diet for a few days to bulk up his stools and help the needle pass along. You can do this by feeding some canned pumpkin or adding a small amount of metamucil or bran to his food.

There are some vets that believe that feeding an animal a few cotton balls will help reduce damage that could be done by a sharp object in the stomach. When I first heard of this I thought it was silly, but then I had a vet tell me of a time when they did this and the dog passed a needle covered in cotton in the stool, so it may help. However, depending on the size of the dog, cotton balls could potentially cause an obstruction so it's a tough call to make.

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (29698 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (12541 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (10649 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (12813 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (24465 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (7777 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (7823 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (14904 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (7347 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (8983 views)