Dog ate sewing needle.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I do?

Oh dear! This can be a serious problem.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take an xray of Brady's abdomen. A sewing needle will definitely show up on the xray and we will be able to tell if it is in his stomach or intestines.

Depending on where it is, your vet will help you determine what to do. If it is in the stomach they may talk about using an endoscope to get it out. If it is in the intestines you may need to be considering surgery.

If neither of these options are in your budget your vet may talk to you about adding some fiber to his diet for a few days to bulk up his stools and help the needle pass along. You can do this by feeding some canned pumpkin or adding a small amount of metamucil or bran to his food.

There are some vets that believe that feeding an animal a few cotton balls will help reduce damage that could be done by a sharp object in the stomach. When I first heard of this I thought it was silly, but then I had a vet tell me of a time when they did this and the dog passed a needle covered in cotton in the stool, so it may help. However, depending on the size of the dog, cotton balls could potentially cause an obstruction so it's a tough call to make.

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (18629 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (8845 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7434 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9113 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (12020 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11407 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5269 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (9023 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (28702 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (16345 views)