Dog ate sewing needle.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I do?

Oh dear! This can be a serious problem.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take an xray of Brady's abdomen. A sewing needle will definitely show up on the xray and we will be able to tell if it is in his stomach or intestines.

Depending on where it is, your vet will help you determine what to do. If it is in the stomach they may talk about using an endoscope to get it out. If it is in the intestines you may need to be considering surgery.

If neither of these options are in your budget your vet may talk to you about adding some fiber to his diet for a few days to bulk up his stools and help the needle pass along. You can do this by feeding some canned pumpkin or adding a small amount of metamucil or bran to his food.

There are some vets that believe that feeding an animal a few cotton balls will help reduce damage that could be done by a sharp object in the stomach. When I first heard of this I thought it was silly, but then I had a vet tell me of a time when they did this and the dog passed a needle covered in cotton in the stool, so it may help. However, depending on the size of the dog, cotton balls could potentially cause an obstruction so it's a tough call to make.

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (13397 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7527 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13780 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10212 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6753 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10892 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (34225 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7551 views)

Pale gums and seizure. Hi, 2 months ago buddy would go outside and if he would run/play hard he would come... (10712 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (24473 views)