Dog ate sewing needle.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I do?

Oh dear! This can be a serious problem.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take an xray of Brady's abdomen. A sewing needle will definitely show up on the xray and we will be able to tell if it is in his stomach or intestines.

Depending on where it is, your vet will help you determine what to do. If it is in the stomach they may talk about using an endoscope to get it out. If it is in the intestines you may need to be considering surgery.

If neither of these options are in your budget your vet may talk to you about adding some fiber to his diet for a few days to bulk up his stools and help the needle pass along. You can do this by feeding some canned pumpkin or adding a small amount of metamucil or bran to his food.

There are some vets that believe that feeding an animal a few cotton balls will help reduce damage that could be done by a sharp object in the stomach. When I first heard of this I thought it was silly, but then I had a vet tell me of a time when they did this and the dog passed a needle covered in cotton in the stool, so it may help. However, depending on the size of the dog, cotton balls could potentially cause an obstruction so it's a tough call to make.

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11936 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10356 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25774 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (29225 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (23680 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (4846 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (40846 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7200 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11174 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11322 views)