Dog ate sewing needle.

Breed: Golden Retreiver
I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I do?

Oh dear! This can be a serious problem.

I would highly advise that you have your vet take an xray of Brady's abdomen. A sewing needle will definitely show up on the xray and we will be able to tell if it is in his stomach or intestines.

Depending on where it is, your vet will help you determine what to do. If it is in the stomach they may talk about using an endoscope to get it out. If it is in the intestines you may need to be considering surgery.

If neither of these options are in your budget your vet may talk to you about adding some fiber to his diet for a few days to bulk up his stools and help the needle pass along. You can do this by feeding some canned pumpkin or adding a small amount of metamucil or bran to his food.

There are some vets that believe that feeding an animal a few cotton balls will help reduce damage that could be done by a sharp object in the stomach. When I first heard of this I thought it was silly, but then I had a vet tell me of a time when they did this and the dog passed a needle covered in cotton in the stool, so it may help. However, depending on the size of the dog, cotton balls could potentially cause an obstruction so it's a tough call to make.

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (8781 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (29455 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (9350 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (26395 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (21054 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (9602 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (29911 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (12188 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (14378 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (8164 views)