Do sheep die on their backs?

Breed: sheep
Hi, there.

We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind our house the other day, it was stuck at the bottom of a bankside on it's back and I have heard that they can die if they do not get back up within a couple of hours?? So I went and helped it get back on it's feet.
Now everyone is laughing at my theory and I have no more information than "they die". Can you please confirm if this is infact true or an old wives tale and if so what actually causes their demise.

I normally don't answer questions about sheep as I really don't know much about sheep, but this one had me intrigued!

If you do a google search about this type of thing you will see many posts of people claiming that sheep will die very quickly if left on their backs. It didn't make sense to me though as I remember in school that we did surgeries on sheep and they were on their back and we didn't have concerns about them dying.

So, I spoke to a few vets I know who actually do treat sheep. Their answer to this question is that this is not true. Of the four of them I talked to, none of them had ever heard of a case where a sheep died because it had been stuck on its back for too long.

One vet who has been treating sheep for 30 years says that in theory it's possible that if a sheep was in exactly the wrong position it would be unable to "eructate" (release gases from the rumen) and could die but he's never seen it happen. Another vet said that Suffolk sheep have a higher chance of randomly ending up stuck on their backs. She's seen it happen that when one sheep ended up on its back, the rest of the flock would rush over and flip the sheep back up the right way. But, she's never seen one die because of being on its back.

Another vet said he's seen sheep who died because they got stuck in a feed bunker or fell down into a hole, but never in an open field.

So, despite all of the information you read online I would say that this is an old wive's tale!

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (8645 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (29709 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (3369 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (15608 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (3658 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (3776 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (4627 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (3359 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (67769 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (26182 views)