Do sheep die on their backs?

Breed: sheep
Hi, there.

We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind our house the other day, it was stuck at the bottom of a bankside on it's back and I have heard that they can die if they do not get back up within a couple of hours?? So I went and helped it get back on it's feet.
Now everyone is laughing at my theory and I have no more information than "they die". Can you please confirm if this is infact true or an old wives tale and if so what actually causes their demise.

I normally don't answer questions about sheep as I really don't know much about sheep, but this one had me intrigued!

If you do a google search about this type of thing you will see many posts of people claiming that sheep will die very quickly if left on their backs. It didn't make sense to me though as I remember in school that we did surgeries on sheep and they were on their back and we didn't have concerns about them dying.

So, I spoke to a few vets I know who actually do treat sheep. Their answer to this question is that this is not true. Of the four of them I talked to, none of them had ever heard of a case where a sheep died because it had been stuck on its back for too long.

One vet who has been treating sheep for 30 years says that in theory it's possible that if a sheep was in exactly the wrong position it would be unable to "eructate" (release gases from the rumen) and could die but he's never seen it happen. Another vet said that Suffolk sheep have a higher chance of randomly ending up stuck on their backs. She's seen it happen that when one sheep ended up on its back, the rest of the flock would rush over and flip the sheep back up the right way. But, she's never seen one die because of being on its back.

Another vet said he's seen sheep who died because they got stuck in a feed bunker or fell down into a hole, but never in an open field.

So, despite all of the information you read online I would say that this is an old wive's tale!

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9819 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (8122 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12611 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (27314 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (7661 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (39191 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8180 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (141103 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14583 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (5345 views)