Do sheep die on their backs?

Breed: sheep
Hi, there.

We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind our house the other day, it was stuck at the bottom of a bankside on it's back and I have heard that they can die if they do not get back up within a couple of hours?? So I went and helped it get back on it's feet.
Now everyone is laughing at my theory and I have no more information than "they die". Can you please confirm if this is infact true or an old wives tale and if so what actually causes their demise.

I normally don't answer questions about sheep as I really don't know much about sheep, but this one had me intrigued!

If you do a google search about this type of thing you will see many posts of people claiming that sheep will die very quickly if left on their backs. It didn't make sense to me though as I remember in school that we did surgeries on sheep and they were on their back and we didn't have concerns about them dying.

So, I spoke to a few vets I know who actually do treat sheep. Their answer to this question is that this is not true. Of the four of them I talked to, none of them had ever heard of a case where a sheep died because it had been stuck on its back for too long.

One vet who has been treating sheep for 30 years says that in theory it's possible that if a sheep was in exactly the wrong position it would be unable to "eructate" (release gases from the rumen) and could die but he's never seen it happen. Another vet said that Suffolk sheep have a higher chance of randomly ending up stuck on their backs. She's seen it happen that when one sheep ended up on its back, the rest of the flock would rush over and flip the sheep back up the right way. But, she's never seen one die because of being on its back.

Another vet said he's seen sheep who died because they got stuck in a feed bunker or fell down into a hole, but never in an open field.

So, despite all of the information you read online I would say that this is an old wive's tale!

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10254 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10813 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12935 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (15064 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6636 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5759 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9247 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (12165 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4365 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10518 views)