Dogs eyes are lazy.

Breed: pit bull mix
Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they are lazy. She has not had any injuries. There is no discoloration in her eyes. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and I have not noticed any difference in her vision. What are the possible causes for this, and what if anything could a vet do for this?

This is an unusual situation! In 12 years of practice I have never seen a dog suddenly have both eyes turn outward. I'd love to see a picture. If you can get one, you can send it to info[at]askavetquestion.com.

The medical term for an eye that turns outwards is "strabismus". There are a few possible causes for strabismus.

Some dogs are born with weak muscles and will have strabismus from birth.

A problem with a nerve to the eye can cause strabismus, but it would be really unusual to have both eyes affected.

A problem with muscle weakness could cause this, but I have never seen this happens on both sides.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an increased pressure in the eyes. It may be that Emma had very mild strabismus and then with an increase in pressure it was more pronounced. An increase in pressure can be caused by glaucoma and this is very serious. But, usually if glaucoma comes on all of a sudden you will see some redness and pain in the eyes.

You have me stumped! I'd love if you could send me a picture at the above address and I'll see if I can tell you more.

Since I first sent you a question, I have noticed that Emma's eyes are becoming red. I am attaching a picture with 16 different shots. It was pretty hard to get her to hold still to take a picture of her face. If you can't zoom in on any of these pictures let me know and I can separate them out for you.

strabismus

Thanks for the pictures! I can see in some of the pictures that Emma's eyes seem to be bulging out and looking to the side.

This looks to me like there may be an increase in pressure in her eyes. I have seen this in dogs that have an increase in blood pressure, or in dogs with acute glaucoma.

Because glaucoma is very serious I think it would be a good idea to have her see a vet right away. I really hope everything is ok!

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8095 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10330 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8658 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21451 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (9441 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (17264 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (45124 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6457 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (8811 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (10017 views)