Dogs eyes are lazy.

Breed: pit bull mix
Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they are lazy. She has not had any injuries. There is no discoloration in her eyes. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and I have not noticed any difference in her vision. What are the possible causes for this, and what if anything could a vet do for this?

This is an unusual situation! In 12 years of practice I have never seen a dog suddenly have both eyes turn outward. I'd love to see a picture. If you can get one, you can send it to info[at]askavetquestion.com.

The medical term for an eye that turns outwards is "strabismus". There are a few possible causes for strabismus.

Some dogs are born with weak muscles and will have strabismus from birth.

A problem with a nerve to the eye can cause strabismus, but it would be really unusual to have both eyes affected.

A problem with muscle weakness could cause this, but I have never seen this happens on both sides.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an increased pressure in the eyes. It may be that Emma had very mild strabismus and then with an increase in pressure it was more pronounced. An increase in pressure can be caused by glaucoma and this is very serious. But, usually if glaucoma comes on all of a sudden you will see some redness and pain in the eyes.

You have me stumped! I'd love if you could send me a picture at the above address and I'll see if I can tell you more.

Since I first sent you a question, I have noticed that Emma's eyes are becoming red. I am attaching a picture with 16 different shots. It was pretty hard to get her to hold still to take a picture of her face. If you can't zoom in on any of these pictures let me know and I can separate them out for you.

strabismus

Thanks for the pictures! I can see in some of the pictures that Emma's eyes seem to be bulging out and looking to the side.

This looks to me like there may be an increase in pressure in her eyes. I have seen this in dogs that have an increase in blood pressure, or in dogs with acute glaucoma.

Because glaucoma is very serious I think it would be a good idea to have her see a vet right away. I really hope everything is ok!

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7848 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13698 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9412 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6631 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22387 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8629 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (21548 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22931 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (15240 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10971 views)