Dogs eyes are lazy.

Breed: pit bull mix
Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they are lazy. She has not had any injuries. There is no discoloration in her eyes. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and I have not noticed any difference in her vision. What are the possible causes for this, and what if anything could a vet do for this?

This is an unusual situation! In 12 years of practice I have never seen a dog suddenly have both eyes turn outward. I'd love to see a picture. If you can get one, you can send it to info[at]askavetquestion.com.

The medical term for an eye that turns outwards is "strabismus". There are a few possible causes for strabismus.

Some dogs are born with weak muscles and will have strabismus from birth.

A problem with a nerve to the eye can cause strabismus, but it would be really unusual to have both eyes affected.

A problem with muscle weakness could cause this, but I have never seen this happens on both sides.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an increased pressure in the eyes. It may be that Emma had very mild strabismus and then with an increase in pressure it was more pronounced. An increase in pressure can be caused by glaucoma and this is very serious. But, usually if glaucoma comes on all of a sudden you will see some redness and pain in the eyes.

You have me stumped! I'd love if you could send me a picture at the above address and I'll see if I can tell you more.

Since I first sent you a question, I have noticed that Emma's eyes are becoming red. I am attaching a picture with 16 different shots. It was pretty hard to get her to hold still to take a picture of her face. If you can't zoom in on any of these pictures let me know and I can separate them out for you.

strabismus

Thanks for the pictures! I can see in some of the pictures that Emma's eyes seem to be bulging out and looking to the side.

This looks to me like there may be an increase in pressure in her eyes. I have seen this in dogs that have an increase in blood pressure, or in dogs with acute glaucoma.

Because glaucoma is very serious I think it would be a good idea to have her see a vet right away. I really hope everything is ok!

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7576 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8329 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9359 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (39286 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (14035 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11614 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (8641 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13663 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (10858 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (6907 views)