Dogs eyes are lazy.

Breed: pit bull mix
Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they are lazy. She has not had any injuries. There is no discoloration in her eyes. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and I have not noticed any difference in her vision. What are the possible causes for this, and what if anything could a vet do for this?

This is an unusual situation! In 12 years of practice I have never seen a dog suddenly have both eyes turn outward. I'd love to see a picture. If you can get one, you can send it to info[at]askavetquestion.com.

The medical term for an eye that turns outwards is "strabismus". There are a few possible causes for strabismus.

Some dogs are born with weak muscles and will have strabismus from birth.

A problem with a nerve to the eye can cause strabismus, but it would be really unusual to have both eyes affected.

A problem with muscle weakness could cause this, but I have never seen this happens on both sides.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an increased pressure in the eyes. It may be that Emma had very mild strabismus and then with an increase in pressure it was more pronounced. An increase in pressure can be caused by glaucoma and this is very serious. But, usually if glaucoma comes on all of a sudden you will see some redness and pain in the eyes.

You have me stumped! I'd love if you could send me a picture at the above address and I'll see if I can tell you more.

Since I first sent you a question, I have noticed that Emma's eyes are becoming red. I am attaching a picture with 16 different shots. It was pretty hard to get her to hold still to take a picture of her face. If you can't zoom in on any of these pictures let me know and I can separate them out for you.

strabismus

Thanks for the pictures! I can see in some of the pictures that Emma's eyes seem to be bulging out and looking to the side.

This looks to me like there may be an increase in pressure in her eyes. I have seen this in dogs that have an increase in blood pressure, or in dogs with acute glaucoma.

Because glaucoma is very serious I think it would be a good idea to have her see a vet right away. I really hope everything is ok!

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (130633 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (27252 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (6165 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9913 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (36609 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (8238 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (27273 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (17245 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (11248 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (25443 views)