Large red spots on dog's stomach.

Breed: Beagle spaniel mix
When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach. They are circular with small white spots in the center. They are very red. There are at least 6 red spots on his belly. They appear to trail up to his chest. The hair has not fallen out (at least not yet). He did not have them last night. Any ideas? Can I treat it over the counter?

Thanks for your question. I have a few ideas for you, but I won't be able to give you an actual diagnosis.

The most common reason for sudden red spots on a dog's belly are insect bites. I used to practice in an area that had a lot of blackflies. Dogs with blackfly bites can be covered in huge red spots and yes, sometimes there can be a white bump in the center. Mosquitoes will do this as well.

Here is a picture of a dog with mosquito bites:

red spots on dog's stomach

If this is what it is, then the red spots will go away on their own. It may take 1-2 days for them to calm down. It won't hurt to use a small amount of neosporin/polysporin on the spots to help with the itch if this is the case.

Another possibility is if these are a bacterial skin infection. It would be a little bit unusual for a bacterial infection to suddenly pop up as red spots on the stomach though. But, if the red spots start to get crusty edges and if the white bits are popping and have pus in them then you may be dealing with bacteria. For this reason, if the lesions are still there in a few days you'll need to see the vet to get some prescription antibiotics. Bacterial infections of the skin always need either oral antibiotics or an injection of Convenia. Creams will not work.

Those are the most likely explanations. Ultimately, if they are not bothering Barnie I would do nothing. If they are a little bit itchy you could try the neosporin/polysporin cream. Or, it won't hurt to give Benadryl at 1mg per pound 2-3 times per day. But if the problem lasts more than a couple of days or if it seems like it is very uncomfortable to Barnie then I'd have a vet take a look.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I should have mentioned that he is mostly an inside dog. We did go to the lake this weekend and dogs sort of run free there. Do you think there is a chance it could be ring worm?

I would be very surprised if this is ring worm. I can tell you that almost every time I have seen a dog because of insect bites (black flies or mosquitos) the client has asked me if it could be ringworm. :)

When dogs get ringworm it doesn't tend to be an obvious ring like people get. Plus, it likely would not have come up so quickly.

Given that you were just at the lake, that makes fly bites even more likely! Barnie's system likely isn't used to getting fly bites and this could be why he reacted strongly to them.

Thank you so much. I feel a lot better. I will continue to watch him over the next fees days.

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15133 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5510 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (28221 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5453 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (5613 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15488 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (9462 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (10853 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (13710 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (14940 views)