Cat's stomach making noises

Breed: Domestic shorthair
My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

What causes a cat's stomach to make noises?

Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no reason. Here are some other possible reasons for a cat to have loud stomach noises:

• A slightly upset tummy because of a change in food.

• Gastric Stasis - A condition that can cause things to not move out of the stomach quickly enough.

• A response to stress.

• Gastritis as a result of a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection.

There are many other possibilities as well.

The answer to your question really depends on how your cat is is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about the fact that her stomach is making noises. Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some stomach noises for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (29488 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (6593 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (13140 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (13949 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (15681 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (10870 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (13638 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (19925 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (24409 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (37923 views)