Gurgling stomach.

Breed: Domestic shorthair
Purrfect's stomach has been gurgling a lot today. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

The answer to your question really depends on how Purrfect is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about this. Sometimes a cat or dog can have a gurgly stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some gurgling for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (7924 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (3470 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (5984 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (7172 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (17403 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (17457 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (3387 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (19742 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (19448 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (13161 views)