Gurgling stomach.

Breed: Domestic shorthair
Purrfect's stomach has been gurgling a lot today. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

The answer to your question really depends on how Purrfect is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about this. Sometimes a cat or dog can have a gurgly stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some gurgling for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (4121 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (11320 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (5650 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (8711 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (7833 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (19301 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (3446 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (4187 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (15232 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (48915 views)