Cat's stomach making noises

Breed: Domestic shorthair
My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This is very unusual for her--we have never noticed this happening before. She also has vomited several times recently, but this is common for her. She does not appear to be losing weight, at least not so far. It is the tummy gurgling we are concerned about. How concerned should we be? Is this an emergency?

What causes a cat's stomach to make noises?

Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no reason. Here are some other possible reasons for a cat to have loud stomach noises:

• A slightly upset tummy because of a change in food.

• Gastric Stasis - A condition that can cause things to not move out of the stomach quickly enough.

• A response to stress.

• Gastritis as a result of a bacterial, viral or parasitic infection.

There are many other possibilities as well.

The answer to your question really depends on how your cat is is acting. Does she have a normal appetite? Is she quieter than usual today? Does she have any diarrhea?

If she is eating well and bright and active then I wouldn't be too worried about the fact that her stomach is making noises. Sometimes a cat can have a gurgly, rumbling stomach for no apparent reason.

Has she had a change in her type of food recently? Or has she eaten anything that is unusual to her? If so, then it is not uncommon to hear some stomach noises for a couple of days as her body adjusts to the new food.

If you feel like she may be uncomfortable, it doesn't hurt to give a cat Famotidine (Pepcid) which is a stomach antacid. You can buy it in the pharmacy without a prescription. It comes in a 10 mg size and a normal sized cat can have 1/4 tablet once or twice a day.

If she is not eating and this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend seeing a vet. Or, if you feel that the vomiting is happening more and more frequently then a vet visit (not necessarily an emergency visit though) is a good idea.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

This was very helpful and reassuring. Thank you!

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18112 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (10024 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (6917 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (8669 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7060 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (8704 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4341 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (29533 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (18227 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (44661 views)