Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate chicken bones.

Species: Dog
Breed: American Golden
Age: 5-8 years
PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What should I do? I can't bear to loose him. I feel so hopeless knowing that I have not enough money to bring him to the vet... What can I do?"

This is urgent I just do not have the money... I am so scared I don't know what to do... I am crying please help me!


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Fortunately most of the time chicken bones are digested easily by a dog. If I have a patient who has eaten chicken bones I usually recommend bulking up his stools by adding some fiber (i.e. bran) to the next few meals. This will help the bones pass through. Quite often, most of the bones get digested in the stomach.

There is possible a risk for inflammation in the intestines, or if there is a sharp end to a bone, perforation of an intestine. But, the risk is small.

Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting

  • diarrhea

  • obvious abdominal pain

  • black tarry stools or blood in the stool

  • lethargy


If you're seeing any of these, then a vet visit is a good idea!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (19595 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (12401 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (12376 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (14991 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (19822 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (15798 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (11918 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (31967 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (22347 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (32687 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.