Dog ate chicken bones.

Breed: American Golden
PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What should I do? I can't bear to loose him. I feel so hopeless knowing that I have not enough money to bring him to the vet... What can I do?"

This is urgent I just do not have the money... I am so scared I don't know what to do... I am crying please help me!

Fortunately most of the time chicken bones are digested easily by a dog. If I have a patient who has eaten chicken bones I usually recommend bulking up his stools by adding some fiber (i.e. bran) to the next few meals. This will help the bones pass through. Quite often, most of the bones get digested in the stomach.

There is possible a risk for inflammation in the intestines, or if there is a sharp end to a bone, perforation of an intestine. But, the risk is small.

Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting

• diarrhea

• obvious abdominal pain

• black tarry stools or blood in the stool

• lethargy

If you're seeing any of these, then a vet visit is a good idea!

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24994 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (10702 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (35176 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8903 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (13265 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9938 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9976 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7937 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (80446 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (12477 views)