Dog ate chicken bones.

Breed: American Golden
PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What should I do? I can't bear to loose him. I feel so hopeless knowing that I have not enough money to bring him to the vet... What can I do?"

This is urgent I just do not have the money... I am so scared I don't know what to do... I am crying please help me!

Fortunately most of the time chicken bones are digested easily by a dog. If I have a patient who has eaten chicken bones I usually recommend bulking up his stools by adding some fiber (i.e. bran) to the next few meals. This will help the bones pass through. Quite often, most of the bones get digested in the stomach.

There is possible a risk for inflammation in the intestines, or if there is a sharp end to a bone, perforation of an intestine. But, the risk is small.

Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting

• diarrhea

• obvious abdominal pain

• black tarry stools or blood in the stool

• lethargy

If you're seeing any of these, then a vet visit is a good idea!

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10082 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10303 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29421 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (4872 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (18605 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5327 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (9764 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5492 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (9597 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (5613 views)