Dog ate chicken bones.

Breed: American Golden
PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What should I do? I can't bear to loose him. I feel so hopeless knowing that I have not enough money to bring him to the vet... What can I do?"

This is urgent I just do not have the money... I am so scared I don't know what to do... I am crying please help me!

Fortunately most of the time chicken bones are digested easily by a dog. If I have a patient who has eaten chicken bones I usually recommend bulking up his stools by adding some fiber (i.e. bran) to the next few meals. This will help the bones pass through. Quite often, most of the bones get digested in the stomach.

There is possible a risk for inflammation in the intestines, or if there is a sharp end to a bone, perforation of an intestine. But, the risk is small.

Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting

• diarrhea

• obvious abdominal pain

• black tarry stools or blood in the stool

• lethargy

If you're seeing any of these, then a vet visit is a good idea!

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (14267 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (9306 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (11437 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (34867 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (15812 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14493 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11019 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (11709 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (17379 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (10697 views)