Dog ate chicken bones.

Breed: American Golden
PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What should I do? I can't bear to loose him. I feel so hopeless knowing that I have not enough money to bring him to the vet... What can I do?"

This is urgent I just do not have the money... I am so scared I don't know what to do... I am crying please help me!

Fortunately most of the time chicken bones are digested easily by a dog. If I have a patient who has eaten chicken bones I usually recommend bulking up his stools by adding some fiber (i.e. bran) to the next few meals. This will help the bones pass through. Quite often, most of the bones get digested in the stomach.

There is possible a risk for inflammation in the intestines, or if there is a sharp end to a bone, perforation of an intestine. But, the risk is small.

Keep an eye out for the following symptoms:
  • Vomiting

• diarrhea

• obvious abdominal pain

• black tarry stools or blood in the stool

• lethargy

If you're seeing any of these, then a vet visit is a good idea!

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (12034 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (8039 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (9177 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5651 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4944 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (22813 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (11428 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (14291 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (20836 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (15596 views)