Gagging dog.

Breed: Golden Retriever Mix
Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first time. I got him out, and he immediately wanted outside to ravenously eat grass. He stayed up all night, wanting to go out and eat grass, and gagged intermittently - like he was trying to throw up. He never did.

He's pretty restless, but the gagging isn't persistent - only every once in awhile. He's eating normally and drinking a little more water than usual. I'm trying to think of anything he could've eaten - and the only thing that comes to mind is that he had a bully stick for the first time 2 days ago. However, the gagging didn't start until last night. He's not lethargic and eating and drinking, so I didn't want to take him to the vet and get charged an expensive amount for this to just be something mild.

He's also gulping intermittently and seems to be breathing a little heavier. Something is bothering him - I just don't know if something could be lodged or if his stomach is bothering him. Is there anything I can do at home to find out more?

He's still eating grass like crazy - which is not typical. He's 3 years old, 75lbs and has been in great health until now. He's had his heartworm medication. When I first rescued him 3 years ago, he had kennel cough from the shelter I got him from. I don't think this is the same thing - he's not coughing persistently - more of a gag, and the grass eating indicates to me that he's either sick to his stomach, or trying to get something unlodged from his throat. Other than that, he's still barking at our neighbors through the fence, and alert - just more restless than usual and not sleeping very well. Any ideas of what this could be? (Sorry for the novel!)

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without being able to examine Max, but I'll give you my thoughts.

By far the most common reason for a dog to sound like there is something stuck in his throat and gag off and on like this is kennel cough which is a virus that is airborne and very contagious.

I have written an article that you can read here about kennel cough. It contains some videos of dogs with coughs that are probably due to kennel cough so you can compare Max's sounds to these dogs.

Some dogs with kennel cough will just have a very mild gag and often it can look like they are vomiting. Some will be even more strongly affected.

It is unlikely that there is anything stuck in his throat as he would be in quite a bit of distress.

I have seen some dogs who can get something called esophagitis which can happen if a sharp edge had scraped the inside of the esophagus. It's conceivably possible that the bully stick could do this. If it is a mild case then he should be better in a day or two. But if things are getting worse or if he doesn't want to eat then he may need medication from his veterinarian.

At this point if he is happy and eating well then I wouldn't be too worried. If he keeps it up for a few days or if at any point he seems to be getting worse then I think a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope things are better soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thanks Dr. Marie, I appreciate it. Is there any reason he's eating so much grass? He normally never does this. He's not sleeping at all because he wants outside constantly - I'm worried about not sleeping myself tonight! :) Under any circumstances can I give him hydrogen peroxide to see if he will throw up whatever may be bothering him?

There are lots of different reasons for dogs to eat grass. It could be that he is a little nauseous. But often we don't know why dogs do it.

I wouldn't recommend the peroxide. While I do use it occasionally to make dogs vomit, it can potentially have side effects. I would only use it in cases where I know a dog has eaten something toxic and I want to get it out fast.

I hope he is feeling better today!

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (10524 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (6810 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (3544 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (6933 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (4543 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (16864 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (4333 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (4612 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (28030 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (23696 views)