Gagging dog.

Breed: Golden Retriever Mix
Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first time. I got him out, and he immediately wanted outside to ravenously eat grass. He stayed up all night, wanting to go out and eat grass, and gagged intermittently - like he was trying to throw up. He never did.

He's pretty restless, but the gagging isn't persistent - only every once in awhile. He's eating normally and drinking a little more water than usual. I'm trying to think of anything he could've eaten - and the only thing that comes to mind is that he had a bully stick for the first time 2 days ago. However, the gagging didn't start until last night. He's not lethargic and eating and drinking, so I didn't want to take him to the vet and get charged an expensive amount for this to just be something mild.

He's also gulping intermittently and seems to be breathing a little heavier. Something is bothering him - I just don't know if something could be lodged or if his stomach is bothering him. Is there anything I can do at home to find out more?

He's still eating grass like crazy - which is not typical. He's 3 years old, 75lbs and has been in great health until now. He's had his heartworm medication. When I first rescued him 3 years ago, he had kennel cough from the shelter I got him from. I don't think this is the same thing - he's not coughing persistently - more of a gag, and the grass eating indicates to me that he's either sick to his stomach, or trying to get something unlodged from his throat. Other than that, he's still barking at our neighbors through the fence, and alert - just more restless than usual and not sleeping very well. Any ideas of what this could be? (Sorry for the novel!)

Thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without being able to examine Max, but I'll give you my thoughts.

By far the most common reason for a dog to sound like there is something stuck in his throat and gag off and on like this is kennel cough which is a virus that is airborne and very contagious.

I have written an article that you can read here about kennel cough. It contains some videos of dogs with coughs that are probably due to kennel cough so you can compare Max's sounds to these dogs.

Some dogs with kennel cough will just have a very mild gag and often it can look like they are vomiting. Some will be even more strongly affected.

It is unlikely that there is anything stuck in his throat as he would be in quite a bit of distress.

I have seen some dogs who can get something called esophagitis which can happen if a sharp edge had scraped the inside of the esophagus. It's conceivably possible that the bully stick could do this. If it is a mild case then he should be better in a day or two. But if things are getting worse or if he doesn't want to eat then he may need medication from his veterinarian.

At this point if he is happy and eating well then I wouldn't be too worried. If he keeps it up for a few days or if at any point he seems to be getting worse then I think a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope things are better soon!

Thanks Dr. Marie, I appreciate it. Is there any reason he's eating so much grass? He normally never does this. He's not sleeping at all because he wants outside constantly - I'm worried about not sleeping myself tonight! :) Under any circumstances can I give him hydrogen peroxide to see if he will throw up whatever may be bothering him?

There are lots of different reasons for dogs to eat grass. It could be that he is a little nauseous. But often we don't know why dogs do it.

I wouldn't recommend the peroxide. While I do use it occasionally to make dogs vomit, it can potentially have side effects. I would only use it in cases where I know a dog has eaten something toxic and I want to get it out fast.

I hope he is feeling better today!

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (6898 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (47243 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (67263 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (35559 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (39972 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (11851 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5498 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8496 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6034 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10147 views)