Bump on dog's neck.

Breed: Border Collie

I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is about the size of a pencil eraser. It does not have a head, and is the same color throughout, but I can feel that it extends below the skin a bit. She could not have had this lump/bump for more than a week or so because I check her frequently for skin bumps.

She is behaving normally otherwise, but the location of the bump is concerning me. What should I do? I have pictures of it if you need to see what it looks like.

Thank you!
Julie

I'd love to see a picture of it! Keep in mind that I can't officially give you a diagnosis over the internet. But I can give you an idea as to whether you should be worried or not.

You can send a photo to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Just sent the pictures, thank you!

wart on a dog

My first thought when looking at this is that it is likely a wart. If this is the case, there's not a lot that you can do about it. (Stuff like Compound-W doesn't work at all).

If it is a wart she may get more of them.

Here are some things to look for that would make me more concerned about it:

-If the color starts to look more red or "angry".
-If it starts ulcerating
-If it is growing really rapidly.

If any of those things happen then have your vet see it right away. Otherwise you can likely wait until your next visit.

The main concern that I would have if it wasn't a wart would be that it could be a mast cell tumor. It really doesn't look like one from the pictures. But of course, there is only so much you can tell from pictures! So, this is a case where I would say to follow your gut instincts. If something is telling you this is not right then have your vet see it soon.

Okay, thank you.

Sorry for this question, but what does ulcerating mean?

Thanks again!

No worries!

Ulcerating means that it is open and oozing.

Thank you so much for your help--one quick follow-up question. It seems to have sprouted up rather quickly. I routinely check her for ticks and other skin anomalies and did not notice this bump. It's been about a week since I last checked her. Does the relative speed with which it has developed alarm me? I really appreciate your help!

I wouldn't be worried at all about the speed in which it grew. It's really common for my clients to suddenly notice warts that they swear were not there a few days before.

Dear Dr. Marie:

I checked her bump today and the color has faded from the light pink it was yesterday to more a whitish color. The size is about the same (if not, maybe, even a bit smaller).

I just wanted to check in with you to see if this change makes any difference in how I should proceed.

Thank you again so much for your time!
Julie

PS-I will, of course, pay you for this answer! :o)

Interesting. I'm really not sure how to advise you here. Turning from pink to white really shouldn't mean that there is anything serious going on. It's possible that it wasn't a wart but maybe a big welt from an insect sting?

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (5254 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (7813 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (18995 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (6452 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (2709 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (14488 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (2933 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (6048 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (13074 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (8675 views)