Old dog with mammary lump

Breed: shihtzu
Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight is probably not what it used to be but she does see. Never weighing more than 9-10 pounds, she has in recent months just become skin and bones. Her appetite is great- she doesn't seem to be in pain but instead of jumping on the sofa, she asked to be put up there and when she is positioning herself, she will opt for an ottoman about eight inches from the ground - meaning she is very weak.

She developed a few months ago a place on her lower stomach - near or on a nipple. It is a nasty looking place and has been really fast growing - now it is probably at least an inch in circumference and seems to have little growths on top of growths. It is like a red swelling with a concave center. It is not raw but seems to be moist all the time - either from her licking it, moisture from outside or because it is seeping. It is hard to tell. She gets sick a lot and doesn't seem to have any control of her bladder. All of this since the place developed on her stomach.

We are guessing that this is cancer. If it is, we do not want her to suffer but at almost 18 years of age, we don't want to put her through surgery or treatment either. My question is, could this be anything except cancer - something that would have an easy treatment and she would be able to handle at her age?

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that Gizmo is going through all of this.

What you have described does indeed sound worrisome and is likely a mammary tumor. It is often hard to tell if a mammary tumor is benign or malignant without doing a biopsy. But, if it is oozing then this is not a good sign.

Your vet can help you decide whether to treat this or not. If this were my case I would do a good physical exam and probably take some xrays of her chest. The reason I would do this is to see if we have any signs of cancer spreading to her chest. If so, then this is a very bad sign and I would not recommend surgery. I would likely also do some bloodwork to see if there is evidence of any other disease present.

If the xrays are clear and the bloodwork is good then I would probably go ahead and recommend surgery. However, it will be a tough call. She will likely come through surgery just fine and really the recovery will not be difficult for her. But, the main concern for me would be whether it is worthwhile to spend all of that money when we don't know how much longer she will be with us. If money is not a concern then I would likely go ahead with the surgery (assuming your vet thinks it is ok.)

With all that being said, you have described a very elderly dog with a lot of issues. And, if you feel that her quality of life is not good then it may be time to start making some decisions about euthanasia.

I don't envy you this difficult decision.

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (11444 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (17060 views)

What breed is my dog? Hello I Always Wanted To Know What Breed Or Type My Dog Is ? It's A Russian Small... (9055 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (6397 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (8772 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (12619 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (76623 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (19783 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (21000 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (21695 views)