Old dog with mammary lump

Breed: shihtzu
Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight is probably not what it used to be but she does see. Never weighing more than 9-10 pounds, she has in recent months just become skin and bones. Her appetite is great- she doesn't seem to be in pain but instead of jumping on the sofa, she asked to be put up there and when she is positioning herself, she will opt for an ottoman about eight inches from the ground - meaning she is very weak.

She developed a few months ago a place on her lower stomach - near or on a nipple. It is a nasty looking place and has been really fast growing - now it is probably at least an inch in circumference and seems to have little growths on top of growths. It is like a red swelling with a concave center. It is not raw but seems to be moist all the time - either from her licking it, moisture from outside or because it is seeping. It is hard to tell. She gets sick a lot and doesn't seem to have any control of her bladder. All of this since the place developed on her stomach.

We are guessing that this is cancer. If it is, we do not want her to suffer but at almost 18 years of age, we don't want to put her through surgery or treatment either. My question is, could this be anything except cancer - something that would have an easy treatment and she would be able to handle at her age?

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that Gizmo is going through all of this.

What you have described does indeed sound worrisome and is likely a mammary tumor. It is often hard to tell if a mammary tumor is benign or malignant without doing a biopsy. But, if it is oozing then this is not a good sign.

Your vet can help you decide whether to treat this or not. If this were my case I would do a good physical exam and probably take some xrays of her chest. The reason I would do this is to see if we have any signs of cancer spreading to her chest. If so, then this is a very bad sign and I would not recommend surgery. I would likely also do some bloodwork to see if there is evidence of any other disease present.

If the xrays are clear and the bloodwork is good then I would probably go ahead and recommend surgery. However, it will be a tough call. She will likely come through surgery just fine and really the recovery will not be difficult for her. But, the main concern for me would be whether it is worthwhile to spend all of that money when we don't know how much longer she will be with us. If money is not a concern then I would likely go ahead with the surgery (assuming your vet thinks it is ok.)

With all that being said, you have described a very elderly dog with a lot of issues. And, if you feel that her quality of life is not good then it may be time to start making some decisions about euthanasia.

I don't envy you this difficult decision.

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9966 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7526 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5360 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19269 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (11572 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (10837 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (28309 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (8201 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (12953 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12706 views)