My dog ate goose poop.

Breed: golden
Dr,

Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old duck/goose poo. I fetched it out of his mouth before any could be swallowed. Before I turned my back he picked up another. Also fetched out before he could swallow.

What risks are there for parasites or anything that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

For some reason dogs LOVE to eat goose poop. I have no idea why this would be attractive to them.

The good news is that it is really unlikely that a dog would get sick from eating goose feces.

You will read in several places online that dogs can get a parasite called giardia from eating goose poop. This is not true. The type of giardia that affects geese is very host-specific which means that even if a dog ingested it, they would not get sick.

It is, in theory, possible for a goose to spread bacteria through their feces. Goose poop can contain salmonella and campylobacter. Most of the time a dog's intestinal tract is pretty resilient to a bacterial infection with either of these. But, if I was seeing a dog in my office who had diarrhea that was not going away, and if I knew that that dog regularly ate goose poop I would likely be doing some extra tests to look for campylobacter or salmonella. However, I can tell you that in 12 years of practice I've seen a LOT of dogs who eat goose poop and I've never diagnosed a problem because of it.

Max should be just fine. If he gets diarrhea that is lasting more than 48 hours then your vet may put him on antibiotics in case of bacterial contamination, but I would be surprised if this happened!

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9519 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (31407 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7507 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (8144 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4460 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11071 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5194 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (6828 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10131 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8428 views)