My dog ate goose poop.

Breed: golden
Dr,

Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old duck/goose poo. I fetched it out of his mouth before any could be swallowed. Before I turned my back he picked up another. Also fetched out before he could swallow.

What risks are there for parasites or anything that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

For some reason dogs LOVE to eat goose poop. I have no idea why this would be attractive to them.

The good news is that it is really unlikely that a dog would get sick from eating goose feces.

You will read in several places online that dogs can get a parasite called giardia from eating goose poop. This is not true. The type of giardia that affects geese is very host-specific which means that even if a dog ingested it, they would not get sick.

It is, in theory, possible for a goose to spread bacteria through their feces. Goose poop can contain salmonella and campylobacter. Most of the time a dog's intestinal tract is pretty resilient to a bacterial infection with either of these. But, if I was seeing a dog in my office who had diarrhea that was not going away, and if I knew that that dog regularly ate goose poop I would likely be doing some extra tests to look for campylobacter or salmonella. However, I can tell you that in 12 years of practice I've seen a LOT of dogs who eat goose poop and I've never diagnosed a problem because of it.

Max should be just fine. If he gets diarrhea that is lasting more than 48 hours then your vet may put him on antibiotics in case of bacterial contamination, but I would be surprised if this happened!

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (15290 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (10897 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (14594 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (17626 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (11288 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (6391 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (15591 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (14631 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (8906 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (9096 views)