My dog ate goose poop.

Breed: golden
Dr,

Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old duck/goose poo. I fetched it out of his mouth before any could be swallowed. Before I turned my back he picked up another. Also fetched out before he could swallow.

What risks are there for parasites or anything that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

For some reason dogs LOVE to eat goose poop. I have no idea why this would be attractive to them.

The good news is that it is really unlikely that a dog would get sick from eating goose feces.

You will read in several places online that dogs can get a parasite called giardia from eating goose poop. This is not true. The type of giardia that affects geese is very host-specific which means that even if a dog ingested it, they would not get sick.

It is, in theory, possible for a goose to spread bacteria through their feces. Goose poop can contain salmonella and campylobacter. Most of the time a dog's intestinal tract is pretty resilient to a bacterial infection with either of these. But, if I was seeing a dog in my office who had diarrhea that was not going away, and if I knew that that dog regularly ate goose poop I would likely be doing some extra tests to look for campylobacter or salmonella. However, I can tell you that in 12 years of practice I've seen a LOT of dogs who eat goose poop and I've never diagnosed a problem because of it.

Max should be just fine. If he gets diarrhea that is lasting more than 48 hours then your vet may put him on antibiotics in case of bacterial contamination, but I would be surprised if this happened!

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (25509 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (7880 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (9886 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (8748 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (18179 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (6674 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (7453 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (11010 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (10749 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (9655 views)