My dog ate goose poop.

Breed: golden
Dr,

Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old duck/goose poo. I fetched it out of his mouth before any could be swallowed. Before I turned my back he picked up another. Also fetched out before he could swallow.

What risks are there for parasites or anything that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

For some reason dogs LOVE to eat goose poop. I have no idea why this would be attractive to them.

The good news is that it is really unlikely that a dog would get sick from eating goose feces.

You will read in several places online that dogs can get a parasite called giardia from eating goose poop. This is not true. The type of giardia that affects geese is very host-specific which means that even if a dog ingested it, they would not get sick.

It is, in theory, possible for a goose to spread bacteria through their feces. Goose poop can contain salmonella and campylobacter. Most of the time a dog's intestinal tract is pretty resilient to a bacterial infection with either of these. But, if I was seeing a dog in my office who had diarrhea that was not going away, and if I knew that that dog regularly ate goose poop I would likely be doing some extra tests to look for campylobacter or salmonella. However, I can tell you that in 12 years of practice I've seen a LOT of dogs who eat goose poop and I've never diagnosed a problem because of it.

Max should be just fine. If he gets diarrhea that is lasting more than 48 hours then your vet may put him on antibiotics in case of bacterial contamination, but I would be surprised if this happened!

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8767 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (36883 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6722 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (5561 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5426 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5395 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12560 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (33215 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (21407 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11620 views)