My dog ate goose poop.

Breed: golden
Dr,

Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old duck/goose poo. I fetched it out of his mouth before any could be swallowed. Before I turned my back he picked up another. Also fetched out before he could swallow.

What risks are there for parasites or anything that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

For some reason dogs LOVE to eat goose poop. I have no idea why this would be attractive to them.

The good news is that it is really unlikely that a dog would get sick from eating goose feces.

You will read in several places online that dogs can get a parasite called giardia from eating goose poop. This is not true. The type of giardia that affects geese is very host-specific which means that even if a dog ingested it, they would not get sick.

It is, in theory, possible for a goose to spread bacteria through their feces. Goose poop can contain salmonella and campylobacter. Most of the time a dog's intestinal tract is pretty resilient to a bacterial infection with either of these. But, if I was seeing a dog in my office who had diarrhea that was not going away, and if I knew that that dog regularly ate goose poop I would likely be doing some extra tests to look for campylobacter or salmonella. However, I can tell you that in 12 years of practice I've seen a LOT of dogs who eat goose poop and I've never diagnosed a problem because of it.

Max should be just fine. If he gets diarrhea that is lasting more than 48 hours then your vet may put him on antibiotics in case of bacterial contamination, but I would be surprised if this happened!

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (6787 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (26666 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (14888 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (9694 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13794 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (19915 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (16933 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (97758 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (19260 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (30277 views)