My dog ate goose poop.

Breed: golden
Dr,

Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old duck/goose poo. I fetched it out of his mouth before any could be swallowed. Before I turned my back he picked up another. Also fetched out before he could swallow.

What risks are there for parasites or anything that I should be looking out for?

Thanks

For some reason dogs LOVE to eat goose poop. I have no idea why this would be attractive to them.

The good news is that it is really unlikely that a dog would get sick from eating goose feces.

You will read in several places online that dogs can get a parasite called giardia from eating goose poop. This is not true. The type of giardia that affects geese is very host-specific which means that even if a dog ingested it, they would not get sick.

It is, in theory, possible for a goose to spread bacteria through their feces. Goose poop can contain salmonella and campylobacter. Most of the time a dog's intestinal tract is pretty resilient to a bacterial infection with either of these. But, if I was seeing a dog in my office who had diarrhea that was not going away, and if I knew that that dog regularly ate goose poop I would likely be doing some extra tests to look for campylobacter or salmonella. However, I can tell you that in 12 years of practice I've seen a LOT of dogs who eat goose poop and I've never diagnosed a problem because of it.

Max should be just fine. If he gets diarrhea that is lasting more than 48 hours then your vet may put him on antibiotics in case of bacterial contamination, but I would be surprised if this happened!

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (4851 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (10834 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (5049 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (13843 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (7773 views)

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (22950 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (10534 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (53938 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (5578 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (11297 views)