Cut my dog's nail too short.

Breed: yellow lab
Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and hit a tiny artery in his nail. It wouldn't stop bleeding, the blood was actually spraying out in a tiny stream. We applied pressure, wrapped his foot. The bleeding seemed to slow down with pressure.

When a dog's nail is bleeding, what do you do?

This morning, as he stood up and put weight on his foot, it began bleeding again similarly to last night. It is still bleeding, soaking the bandages and leaving puddles of blood on the floor.

We tried wrapping an ACE bandage tightly around the foot and up his leg, but that hasn't slowed the bleeding. It's a mess! I can't believe I cut my dog's nail too short!

His gums are still pink and he doesn't seem to be in any acute distress.

How do I get my dog's nail to stop bleeding?

Aw, sorry that you and Buddy are going through this. If it's any consolation, know that this type of thing happens all of the time! The good news is that the bleeding will stop. I've never seen a dog have serious problems because of a nail that was cut too short.

What we use in the office for nails that are cut too short is a commercial product called Kwik Stop. If you are able to get to a pet store to purchase something like this, this is probably the best bet. It is a powder and you pack it into the part of the nail that was cut too short. You may need to do it a few times, but it works quite well to stop bleeding.

Some things that you can try at home, if you are not able to get to the pet store are corn starch or a bar of soap. With the corn starch put a good amount on your finger and then push it firmly against the part of the nail that is bleeding. It doesn't work as well as kwik stop but will slow things down a little. You may need to repeat this a few times. If you use the soap, wet it so that it is a little mushy and then push the nail into the bar.

The bandages are a good idea as well. Also, keeping him absolutely as quiet as possible will help too, but this is hard to do with any dog, yet alone a lab.

If none of these things are working, then you may need to see an emergency vet. They can apply kwik stop and place a professional bandage on the foot.

Keep an eye on his gums, but I think the chances of a dog bleeding out from a nail that was cut too short are really small. However, in a case like this I always tell people to "follow your gut instinct". If you try the things above and the bleeding doesn't stop then he may need professional help.

I hope everything is ok soon!

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (13980 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (17215 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8553 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7522 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5481 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (24566 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (12503 views)

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (7090 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10016 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22101 views)