Puppy won't eat or drink.

Breed: Chihuahua
My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink anything even though I try to give it to her myself. Also her hind legs are week, and she kind of stumbles when she walks. I think she is just sad because the other dogs we had are gone and she has no one to play with. Can you tell me what I can do to make her feel a lot better and go back to acting normal?

The symptoms you have described have me concerned. While a puppy can be a little sad because of losing a playmate they would not be this sick. Any time a puppy doesn't want to eat there is usually something wrong.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to not eat or drink and to stumble when walking. It may be that she is fighting a virus. A serious virus like parvovirus usually causes vomiting and diarrhea but sometimes early in the virus we don't see it for the first few days.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere. It could be because of a bite from another pup. If there is an infection she will need oral antibiotics to clear it up.

I would highly advise a vet visit. Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

If you can't get to a vet tonight you can try offering her an electrolyte solution to help fight against dehydration. To get her to eat you can also try making some soup by adding warm water to some canned puppy food. However, she should see the vet as soon as possible.

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (4021 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (13020 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (8449 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (6752 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (9233 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (28716 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (23324 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (12490 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (9489 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (13944 views)