Puppy won't eat or drink.

Breed: Chihuahua
My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink anything even though I try to give it to her myself. Also her hind legs are week, and she kind of stumbles when she walks. I think she is just sad because the other dogs we had are gone and she has no one to play with. Can you tell me what I can do to make her feel a lot better and go back to acting normal?

The symptoms you have described have me concerned. While a puppy can be a little sad because of losing a playmate they would not be this sick. Any time a puppy doesn't want to eat there is usually something wrong.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to not eat or drink and to stumble when walking. It may be that she is fighting a virus. A serious virus like parvovirus usually causes vomiting and diarrhea but sometimes early in the virus we don't see it for the first few days.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere. It could be because of a bite from another pup. If there is an infection she will need oral antibiotics to clear it up.

I would highly advise a vet visit. Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

If you can't get to a vet tonight you can try offering her an electrolyte solution to help fight against dehydration. To get her to eat you can also try making some soup by adding warm water to some canned puppy food. However, she should see the vet as soon as possible.

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (3580 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (7822 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (12093 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (3495 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (6998 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (11810 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (7011 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (8117 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (6631 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (13462 views)