Puppy won't eat or drink.

Breed: Chihuahua
My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink anything even though I try to give it to her myself. Also her hind legs are week, and she kind of stumbles when she walks. I think she is just sad because the other dogs we had are gone and she has no one to play with. Can you tell me what I can do to make her feel a lot better and go back to acting normal?

The symptoms you have described have me concerned. While a puppy can be a little sad because of losing a playmate they would not be this sick. Any time a puppy doesn't want to eat there is usually something wrong.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to not eat or drink and to stumble when walking. It may be that she is fighting a virus. A serious virus like parvovirus usually causes vomiting and diarrhea but sometimes early in the virus we don't see it for the first few days.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere. It could be because of a bite from another pup. If there is an infection she will need oral antibiotics to clear it up.

I would highly advise a vet visit. Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

If you can't get to a vet tonight you can try offering her an electrolyte solution to help fight against dehydration. To get her to eat you can also try making some soup by adding warm water to some canned puppy food. However, she should see the vet as soon as possible.

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (9473 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7254 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (7147 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (10207 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (19701 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (13494 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (16381 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (12488 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (62201 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (15162 views)