Puppy won't eat or drink.

Breed: Chihuahua
My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink anything even though I try to give it to her myself. Also her hind legs are week, and she kind of stumbles when she walks. I think she is just sad because the other dogs we had are gone and she has no one to play with. Can you tell me what I can do to make her feel a lot better and go back to acting normal?

The symptoms you have described have me concerned. While a puppy can be a little sad because of losing a playmate they would not be this sick. Any time a puppy doesn't want to eat there is usually something wrong.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to not eat or drink and to stumble when walking. It may be that she is fighting a virus. A serious virus like parvovirus usually causes vomiting and diarrhea but sometimes early in the virus we don't see it for the first few days.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere. It could be because of a bite from another pup. If there is an infection she will need oral antibiotics to clear it up.

I would highly advise a vet visit. Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

If you can't get to a vet tonight you can try offering her an electrolyte solution to help fight against dehydration. To get her to eat you can also try making some soup by adding warm water to some canned puppy food. However, she should see the vet as soon as possible.

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (28954 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (81140 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10802 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (14115 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (27048 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (66700 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25899 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (30091 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (226252 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10881 views)