Puppy won't eat or drink.

Breed: Chihuahua
My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink anything even though I try to give it to her myself. Also her hind legs are week, and she kind of stumbles when she walks. I think she is just sad because the other dogs we had are gone and she has no one to play with. Can you tell me what I can do to make her feel a lot better and go back to acting normal?

The symptoms you have described have me concerned. While a puppy can be a little sad because of losing a playmate they would not be this sick. Any time a puppy doesn't want to eat there is usually something wrong.

There are a number of things that can cause a puppy to not eat or drink and to stumble when walking. It may be that she is fighting a virus. A serious virus like parvovirus usually causes vomiting and diarrhea but sometimes early in the virus we don't see it for the first few days.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere. It could be because of a bite from another pup. If there is an infection she will need oral antibiotics to clear it up.

I would highly advise a vet visit. Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration.

If you can't get to a vet tonight you can try offering her an electrolyte solution to help fight against dehydration. To get her to eat you can also try making some soup by adding warm water to some canned puppy food. However, she should see the vet as soon as possible.

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (9847 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (12275 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (16852 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (6508 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (122831 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (10568 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (35748 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (17121 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (16378 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (108204 views)