Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Infection in neuter incision?

Species: Dog
Breed: Yorkshire Terrier
Age: 6-12 months
My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the incision and it now looks a little red and in the incision seems like a brown thing or dark red, not sure if it is blood in between it.

I have a picuture but I dont know how to send it.

Im worried and not sure wht to do.

Tks a lot
Lucy



Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi Lucy,

You can send a photo to photos@askavetquestion.com. I'll take a look and then respond after that.

Thanks!


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for the photos!

I've zoomed in on the important issue here in this photo:

neuter incision

Now, I can't say for certain without seeing this in person but it looks to me like there is a little bit of the suture material knot sticking out of the incision.

This does happen from time to time and does not mean at all that Teddy was the victim of an inferior surgeon.

If this is a piece of suture material then it likely needs to be pulled out. It's often something that needs to be done by a vet though. If Teddy allows it, you can try picking at the knot material with a fingernail...sometimes if it is really loose it will come out easily. But, I have found that most of the time it takes some special equipment (like a tiny hemostat instrument) and also a trained assistant to keep the dog distracted in order to get a piece of knot out.

You explained to me in your email the situation about how Teddy was neutered at SPCA but your local vet is closer. If your vet had performed the surgery, there is a good chance that they would assess the incision and remove the suture material for no charge. But, as they did not do the surgery, there likely will be a charge for the visit.

Alternatively, you can decide if the trip back to the SPCA is worth it to have them take a look. Sometimes though, with low cost clinics they will not do followup care as they only have a vet in on certain days to do surgery and that vet does not see appointments. You'll have to give the SPCA a call to see what they recommend.

Now, there is a chance that this knot will fall out on its own. So, whether or not to take the dog in to the vet's depends on a few things:

-If the area seems bothersome to Teddy then I would have it looked at. It doesn't look infected from the photo, but it certainly can get infected.
-If you are seeing yellow or green thick discharge then he'll need some antibiotics, so yes, he'll need to see a vet.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Thanks a lot, I will give SPCA a call. He had only inside sutures and the outside tissues were closed with tissue glue so if the sutures are coming out that means the outside tissue opened, probably from his licking, is that right?

Tks
Lucy


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Even though he only had inside sutures, he likely still had two layers of sutures inside. The glue is usually just used as a failsafe. Actually, I usually use glue on surgeries where the final knot just won't bury under the skin for me properly. If this was the case, then sometimes these are the ones where the knot surfaces like it looks like is happening in Teddy's case.

If Teddy has been licking, then this is probably the cause of this problem!

Hope things go well!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Tks a lot for your quick reply!


Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15973 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8853 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7161 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (18107 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8455 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (9801 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (11901 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8459 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9943 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4698 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.