Bump after fight.

Breed: Puggle
My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a leash, they sniffed at each other, and then the other dog grabbed my dog by the back of the neck and the dog walker had to wrestle him off. My dog is about 35 lbs, the other dog was slightly bigger.
There was no bleeding or breaking of the skin.
Now, 4 days later, Fillmore has a big fleshy knot under the skin on his neck, about the width of a tennis ball, which is probably the width of the other dog's mouth. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all- it's not sore- you can grab it and he doesn't even notice. I'm just a bit alarmed at this swelling coming up a few days later after there was initially nothing. Do I need to take him in? Should I see if this other dog is up on his immunizations? Like I said, otherwise he's fine. Thanks!

I can think of two things that this could be.

The first possibility is that this is an abscess. An abscess would be an infection under the skin. There would have to be some type of penetration by a tooth for this to happen. Sometimes it can look like there is no wound, but a tiny wound can hide from view.

The next possibility is that this is something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid underneath the skin. If your dog was bitten and there was some trauma to the area then a seroma is possible. A seroma will heal on its own but may take a couple of weeks to get better.

The only way to tell the difference between an abscess and a seroma is to have your vet put a needle in the area and draw some cells or fluid out. It should be quite obvious if it is a seroma or an abscess. If it is an abscess then he's going to need some antibiotics. Some abscesses won't heal unless they are surgically opened up and drained.

I would advise that you have him checked out. It doesn't have to be an emergency tonight, but I would do it in the next day if possible. If this is an abscess and we wait too long then the abscess can spread. Waiting could mean the difference between healing with antibiotics or needing an expensive surgery.

It's very unlikely that you need to worry about the other dog's vaccinations. The only virus that is transmissible via a bite from dog to dog is rabies and this is very unlikely. Dogs with rabies show neurological signs and not a swelling like you have described.

Hope everything heals up well!

Both possibilities make sense. I'll call for an appointment tomorrow. Thanks!!

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (46842 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (7088 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (28882 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (9716 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (25933 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (21849 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (22727 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (6862 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (10094 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (15155 views)