Bump after fight.

Breed: Puggle
My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a leash, they sniffed at each other, and then the other dog grabbed my dog by the back of the neck and the dog walker had to wrestle him off. My dog is about 35 lbs, the other dog was slightly bigger.
There was no bleeding or breaking of the skin.
Now, 4 days later, Fillmore has a big fleshy knot under the skin on his neck, about the width of a tennis ball, which is probably the width of the other dog's mouth. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all- it's not sore- you can grab it and he doesn't even notice. I'm just a bit alarmed at this swelling coming up a few days later after there was initially nothing. Do I need to take him in? Should I see if this other dog is up on his immunizations? Like I said, otherwise he's fine. Thanks!

I can think of two things that this could be.

The first possibility is that this is an abscess. An abscess would be an infection under the skin. There would have to be some type of penetration by a tooth for this to happen. Sometimes it can look like there is no wound, but a tiny wound can hide from view.

The next possibility is that this is something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid underneath the skin. If your dog was bitten and there was some trauma to the area then a seroma is possible. A seroma will heal on its own but may take a couple of weeks to get better.

The only way to tell the difference between an abscess and a seroma is to have your vet put a needle in the area and draw some cells or fluid out. It should be quite obvious if it is a seroma or an abscess. If it is an abscess then he's going to need some antibiotics. Some abscesses won't heal unless they are surgically opened up and drained.

I would advise that you have him checked out. It doesn't have to be an emergency tonight, but I would do it in the next day if possible. If this is an abscess and we wait too long then the abscess can spread. Waiting could mean the difference between healing with antibiotics or needing an expensive surgery.

It's very unlikely that you need to worry about the other dog's vaccinations. The only virus that is transmissible via a bite from dog to dog is rabies and this is very unlikely. Dogs with rabies show neurological signs and not a swelling like you have described.

Hope everything heals up well!

Both possibilities make sense. I'll call for an appointment tomorrow. Thanks!!

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (14208 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (51485 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (5450 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (6654 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (7169 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14776 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (17791 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (35826 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (10360 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10067 views)