Bump after fight.

Breed: Puggle
My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a leash, they sniffed at each other, and then the other dog grabbed my dog by the back of the neck and the dog walker had to wrestle him off. My dog is about 35 lbs, the other dog was slightly bigger.
There was no bleeding or breaking of the skin.
Now, 4 days later, Fillmore has a big fleshy knot under the skin on his neck, about the width of a tennis ball, which is probably the width of the other dog's mouth. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all- it's not sore- you can grab it and he doesn't even notice. I'm just a bit alarmed at this swelling coming up a few days later after there was initially nothing. Do I need to take him in? Should I see if this other dog is up on his immunizations? Like I said, otherwise he's fine. Thanks!

I can think of two things that this could be.

The first possibility is that this is an abscess. An abscess would be an infection under the skin. There would have to be some type of penetration by a tooth for this to happen. Sometimes it can look like there is no wound, but a tiny wound can hide from view.

The next possibility is that this is something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid underneath the skin. If your dog was bitten and there was some trauma to the area then a seroma is possible. A seroma will heal on its own but may take a couple of weeks to get better.

The only way to tell the difference between an abscess and a seroma is to have your vet put a needle in the area and draw some cells or fluid out. It should be quite obvious if it is a seroma or an abscess. If it is an abscess then he's going to need some antibiotics. Some abscesses won't heal unless they are surgically opened up and drained.

I would advise that you have him checked out. It doesn't have to be an emergency tonight, but I would do it in the next day if possible. If this is an abscess and we wait too long then the abscess can spread. Waiting could mean the difference between healing with antibiotics or needing an expensive surgery.

It's very unlikely that you need to worry about the other dog's vaccinations. The only virus that is transmissible via a bite from dog to dog is rabies and this is very unlikely. Dogs with rabies show neurological signs and not a swelling like you have described.

Hope everything heals up well!

Both possibilities make sense. I'll call for an appointment tomorrow. Thanks!!

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (23242 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (89724 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (8164 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (32440 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (7253 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (9983 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (8396 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (6768 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (22234 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (5224 views)