Bump after fight.

Breed: Puggle
My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a leash, they sniffed at each other, and then the other dog grabbed my dog by the back of the neck and the dog walker had to wrestle him off. My dog is about 35 lbs, the other dog was slightly bigger.
There was no bleeding or breaking of the skin.
Now, 4 days later, Fillmore has a big fleshy knot under the skin on his neck, about the width of a tennis ball, which is probably the width of the other dog's mouth. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all- it's not sore- you can grab it and he doesn't even notice. I'm just a bit alarmed at this swelling coming up a few days later after there was initially nothing. Do I need to take him in? Should I see if this other dog is up on his immunizations? Like I said, otherwise he's fine. Thanks!

I can think of two things that this could be.

The first possibility is that this is an abscess. An abscess would be an infection under the skin. There would have to be some type of penetration by a tooth for this to happen. Sometimes it can look like there is no wound, but a tiny wound can hide from view.

The next possibility is that this is something called a seroma. A seroma is a collection of fluid underneath the skin. If your dog was bitten and there was some trauma to the area then a seroma is possible. A seroma will heal on its own but may take a couple of weeks to get better.

The only way to tell the difference between an abscess and a seroma is to have your vet put a needle in the area and draw some cells or fluid out. It should be quite obvious if it is a seroma or an abscess. If it is an abscess then he's going to need some antibiotics. Some abscesses won't heal unless they are surgically opened up and drained.

I would advise that you have him checked out. It doesn't have to be an emergency tonight, but I would do it in the next day if possible. If this is an abscess and we wait too long then the abscess can spread. Waiting could mean the difference between healing with antibiotics or needing an expensive surgery.

It's very unlikely that you need to worry about the other dog's vaccinations. The only virus that is transmissible via a bite from dog to dog is rabies and this is very unlikely. Dogs with rabies show neurological signs and not a swelling like you have described.

Hope everything heals up well!

Both possibilities make sense. I'll call for an appointment tomorrow. Thanks!!

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (3660 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (6007 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (7048 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (8628 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (27399 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (3533 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (5155 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (9378 views)

Cat with only 4 teeth. We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4... (8971 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (26336 views)