Tumor on a guinea pig.

Breed: guinea pig
Hi Marie,

My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly black scab the size of a quarter on his hip. He is otherwise in good health. The only picture on the internet that looked like it was a cancerous, infected tumor. We would not put it through surgery, but are their other treatments that are effective? If not, is there way for me to put him to sleep (once he shows signs of being uncomfortable) that is quick and painless for him?

My local vet charges $160 to do this. I don't mean to be heartless, but we are on a very, very tight budget.

I can send you an actual picture or here's the picture on the internet that looks most like it: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbnid=VNBclT5AYglVDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-columns/notes-from-an-exotic-small-animal-vet/100908-guinea-pigs-in-brief.aspx&docid=J75jK4ngDtrCrM&imgurl=http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/images/critter-columns/jerry-murray/2010/guinea-pig-1-bg.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=g9RpT5rJAcHr0g

Thank you for making this affordable option for people like me.

I'm sorry to hear that your piggie may have a tumor.

This is a tough question to answer without actually examining Socks but I'll give you my thoughts on what you have written.

Unfortunately the only way to know exactly what the tumor is would be to biopsy it, and really, that would cost a fair bit.

There are a number of different things that can cause a lesion like this. It's possible it is a cancerous tumor that could make him very sick. Or it could be a benign tumor. If this is the case then he may be able to live quite happily with it for some time.

It's even possible it is an abscess, although it would be an unusual place for one. Guinea pig abscesses generally don't heal with just antibiotics though...they usually need surgery.

If this were my case, and surgery was not an option then I would likely be advising you to simply keep an eye on the area. If we start noticing any of the following things, then I would say that it is time for euthanasia:

-If the tumor is becoming bothersome so that Socks is chewing at it.
-If the tumor is bleeding and becoming very messy.
-If Socks is not eating well.
-If Socks is having breathing issues (possibly indicative of spread to his lungs).

Unfortunately there is no way to humanely end a guinea pig's life at home. If he is unwell I definitely would recommend that you have the vet do euthanasia. You can perhaps phone around to other clinics. There are some that will occasionally have a reduced rate for pocket pet euthanasias. Or, if cost is really an issue, often the local humane society will euthanize for a reduced cost.

With that being said, I can tell you that I don't often see guinea pigs for euthanasia. They will often get sick very quickly and die suddenly. I'm not saying to let him suffer at home, but you may find that he goes from perfectly healthy to deceased overnight. But again, if you feel that he is uncomfortable, euthanasia is the best option.

I really hope he is ok.

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (10156 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13877 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (36012 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14678 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (16224 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (14058 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (6543 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (33429 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (10708 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (75464 views)