Tumor on a guinea pig.

Breed: guinea pig
Hi Marie,

My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly black scab the size of a quarter on his hip. He is otherwise in good health. The only picture on the internet that looked like it was a cancerous, infected tumor. We would not put it through surgery, but are their other treatments that are effective? If not, is there way for me to put him to sleep (once he shows signs of being uncomfortable) that is quick and painless for him?

My local vet charges $160 to do this. I don't mean to be heartless, but we are on a very, very tight budget.

I can send you an actual picture or here's the picture on the internet that looks most like it: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1920&bih=955&tbm=isch&tbnid=VNBclT5AYglVDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-columns/notes-from-an-exotic-small-animal-vet/100908-guinea-pigs-in-brief.aspx&docid=J75jK4ngDtrCrM&imgurl=http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/images/critter-columns/jerry-murray/2010/guinea-pig-1-bg.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=g9RpT5rJAcHr0g

Thank you for making this affordable option for people like me.

I'm sorry to hear that your piggie may have a tumor.

This is a tough question to answer without actually examining Socks but I'll give you my thoughts on what you have written.

Unfortunately the only way to know exactly what the tumor is would be to biopsy it, and really, that would cost a fair bit.

There are a number of different things that can cause a lesion like this. It's possible it is a cancerous tumor that could make him very sick. Or it could be a benign tumor. If this is the case then he may be able to live quite happily with it for some time.

It's even possible it is an abscess, although it would be an unusual place for one. Guinea pig abscesses generally don't heal with just antibiotics though...they usually need surgery.

If this were my case, and surgery was not an option then I would likely be advising you to simply keep an eye on the area. If we start noticing any of the following things, then I would say that it is time for euthanasia:

-If the tumor is becoming bothersome so that Socks is chewing at it.
-If the tumor is bleeding and becoming very messy.
-If Socks is not eating well.
-If Socks is having breathing issues (possibly indicative of spread to his lungs).

Unfortunately there is no way to humanely end a guinea pig's life at home. If he is unwell I definitely would recommend that you have the vet do euthanasia. You can perhaps phone around to other clinics. There are some that will occasionally have a reduced rate for pocket pet euthanasias. Or, if cost is really an issue, often the local humane society will euthanize for a reduced cost.

With that being said, I can tell you that I don't often see guinea pigs for euthanasia. They will often get sick very quickly and die suddenly. I'm not saying to let him suffer at home, but you may find that he goes from perfectly healthy to deceased overnight. But again, if you feel that he is uncomfortable, euthanasia is the best option.

I really hope he is ok.

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (6062 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12783 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10623 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (11950 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (15629 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7666 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (21616 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9772 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7548 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (9023 views)