Cat losing fur on belly.

Breed: DLH- female spayed
Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back legs. The skin is in perfect condition, no scales, dryness or rash. She is not grooming herself more than normal. She seems completely unfazed by the condition, is in no distress at all. She is fairly high strung as a rule, will care a toy around and cry like she has a dead kitten. There have been no changes in her life recently.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks so much for your question!

I see this kind of thing quite often, actually. I don't usually get too worried about this type of hair loss in a cat as long as there is no itchiness or lesions at all.

By far the most common reason for a cat to have hair loss in these areas is from overgrooming. We usually attribute overgrooming to "stress" but it is often hard to determine what is causing the stress.

Most of the time we don't do much in the way of treatment. However, if it is getting excessive then you can talk to your vet about prescribing a medication called amitryptiline which can help reduce anxiety levels.

There are other conditions that can cause hair loss such as a parasite called demodex, allergies and more. As always, if concerned it's best to have your vet take a look. But, likely this is nothing to be worried about.

Thank you for your advice. Chloe completely melts down when I take her to the vet, so I might wait a bit till her annual comes around in May. As I said, she doesn't seem anxious at all, except for her Medea moments. I will be content with my poodle cat for the time being.

Thank you for donating your time to support this cause. I wish the Toronto Humane Society was trustworthy enough to support.

You're very welcome and I think it is just fine to wait till Chloe's annual visit to have her checked out.

Thank you for supporting the Ottawa Humane Society by asking your question! Spread the word about what we are doing as the more questions we get, the more money we can raise!

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (30840 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (11955 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4782 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6922 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (12478 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (18171 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (11656 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26835 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (12807 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (15910 views)