Cat losing fur on belly.

Breed: DLH- female spayed
Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back legs. The skin is in perfect condition, no scales, dryness or rash. She is not grooming herself more than normal. She seems completely unfazed by the condition, is in no distress at all. She is fairly high strung as a rule, will care a toy around and cry like she has a dead kitten. There have been no changes in her life recently.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks so much for your question!

I see this kind of thing quite often, actually. I don't usually get too worried about this type of hair loss in a cat as long as there is no itchiness or lesions at all.

By far the most common reason for a cat to have hair loss in these areas is from overgrooming. We usually attribute overgrooming to "stress" but it is often hard to determine what is causing the stress.

Most of the time we don't do much in the way of treatment. However, if it is getting excessive then you can talk to your vet about prescribing a medication called amitryptiline which can help reduce anxiety levels.

There are other conditions that can cause hair loss such as a parasite called demodex, allergies and more. As always, if concerned it's best to have your vet take a look. But, likely this is nothing to be worried about.

Thank you for your advice. Chloe completely melts down when I take her to the vet, so I might wait a bit till her annual comes around in May. As I said, she doesn't seem anxious at all, except for her Medea moments. I will be content with my poodle cat for the time being.

Thank you for donating your time to support this cause. I wish the Toronto Humane Society was trustworthy enough to support.

You're very welcome and I think it is just fine to wait till Chloe's annual visit to have her checked out.

Thank you for supporting the Ottawa Humane Society by asking your question! Spread the word about what we are doing as the more questions we get, the more money we can raise!

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9012 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (4949 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (10888 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12553 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7450 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6248 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7040 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (36374 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (7770 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (95826 views)