Cat losing fur on belly.

Breed: DLH- female spayed
Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back legs. The skin is in perfect condition, no scales, dryness or rash. She is not grooming herself more than normal. She seems completely unfazed by the condition, is in no distress at all. She is fairly high strung as a rule, will care a toy around and cry like she has a dead kitten. There have been no changes in her life recently.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks so much for your question!

I see this kind of thing quite often, actually. I don't usually get too worried about this type of hair loss in a cat as long as there is no itchiness or lesions at all.

By far the most common reason for a cat to have hair loss in these areas is from overgrooming. We usually attribute overgrooming to "stress" but it is often hard to determine what is causing the stress.

Most of the time we don't do much in the way of treatment. However, if it is getting excessive then you can talk to your vet about prescribing a medication called amitryptiline which can help reduce anxiety levels.

There are other conditions that can cause hair loss such as a parasite called demodex, allergies and more. As always, if concerned it's best to have your vet take a look. But, likely this is nothing to be worried about.

Thank you for your advice. Chloe completely melts down when I take her to the vet, so I might wait a bit till her annual comes around in May. As I said, she doesn't seem anxious at all, except for her Medea moments. I will be content with my poodle cat for the time being.

Thank you for donating your time to support this cause. I wish the Toronto Humane Society was trustworthy enough to support.

You're very welcome and I think it is just fine to wait till Chloe's annual visit to have her checked out.

Thank you for supporting the Ottawa Humane Society by asking your question! Spread the word about what we are doing as the more questions we get, the more money we can raise!

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (7371 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (6338 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (4393 views)

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (6305 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (6606 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (14845 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (12152 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (8454 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (14676 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (6249 views)