Cat losing fur on belly.

Breed: DLH- female spayed
Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back legs. The skin is in perfect condition, no scales, dryness or rash. She is not grooming herself more than normal. She seems completely unfazed by the condition, is in no distress at all. She is fairly high strung as a rule, will care a toy around and cry like she has a dead kitten. There have been no changes in her life recently.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks so much for your question!

I see this kind of thing quite often, actually. I don't usually get too worried about this type of hair loss in a cat as long as there is no itchiness or lesions at all.

By far the most common reason for a cat to have hair loss in these areas is from overgrooming. We usually attribute overgrooming to "stress" but it is often hard to determine what is causing the stress.

Most of the time we don't do much in the way of treatment. However, if it is getting excessive then you can talk to your vet about prescribing a medication called amitryptiline which can help reduce anxiety levels.

There are other conditions that can cause hair loss such as a parasite called demodex, allergies and more. As always, if concerned it's best to have your vet take a look. But, likely this is nothing to be worried about.

Thank you for your advice. Chloe completely melts down when I take her to the vet, so I might wait a bit till her annual comes around in May. As I said, she doesn't seem anxious at all, except for her Medea moments. I will be content with my poodle cat for the time being.

Thank you for donating your time to support this cause. I wish the Toronto Humane Society was trustworthy enough to support.

You're very welcome and I think it is just fine to wait till Chloe's annual visit to have her checked out.

Thank you for supporting the Ottawa Humane Society by asking your question! Spread the word about what we are doing as the more questions we get, the more money we can raise!

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (18320 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (8834 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (17287 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (18151 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (13013 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (19432 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (9666 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (11892 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (15013 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (11979 views)