Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days.

Breed: Boston Terrier
Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally otherwise- playful, eating and drinking, etc. I put him on a bland diet and it seems to clear up, but then it returns. At its' worse, we were going outside every 2 hours, now we are on a normal schedule, but still experiencing symptoms. He will have loose stool then go to other locations and it seems like he is trying to force more out, though he is not successful. Last night before bed he had an almost-normal bowel movement but this morning it was very loose again. He is on no medications and had a vet exam 2 weeks ago which showed he was very healthy. He was at a "doggie day care" for a week, but we picked him up on a Friday and symptoms didnt appear until the following Wed.

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver has diarrhea! Diarrhea can be very frustrating to deal with. I am glad to hear that he is still eating and otherwise feeling well.

Has he had a stool sample checked by your veterinarian for parasites? Any time that a young dog has diarrhea, parasites are one of the top things that I think of. Sometimes we need multiple stool sample checks in order to find them.

It's also possible that he picked up parasites at day care as well.

If this were my case the first thing I would do is a stool sample check. If nothing turned up there then I would likely prescribe a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole. This medication is really good for helping with intestinal inflammation. It also treats a parasite called Giardia that can sometimes be hard to pick up on a stool sample check.

The serious types of things that cause diarrhea such as parvo virus would cause Oliver to be feeling unwell - not eating, vomiting, lethargic and this doesn't sound like the case at all.

For some dogs I will do a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This may be a good idea for Oliver (although it sounds like you have done this already.) If this doesn't work then he likely needs medications prescribed by your vet.

I hope things clear up soon!

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (10302 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (6602 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (5089 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (27553 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (22313 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (11936 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (5240 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8605 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (18371 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (11430 views)