Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days.

Breed: Boston Terrier
Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally otherwise- playful, eating and drinking, etc. I put him on a bland diet and it seems to clear up, but then it returns. At its' worse, we were going outside every 2 hours, now we are on a normal schedule, but still experiencing symptoms. He will have loose stool then go to other locations and it seems like he is trying to force more out, though he is not successful. Last night before bed he had an almost-normal bowel movement but this morning it was very loose again. He is on no medications and had a vet exam 2 weeks ago which showed he was very healthy. He was at a "doggie day care" for a week, but we picked him up on a Friday and symptoms didnt appear until the following Wed.

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver has diarrhea! Diarrhea can be very frustrating to deal with. I am glad to hear that he is still eating and otherwise feeling well.

Has he had a stool sample checked by your veterinarian for parasites? Any time that a young dog has diarrhea, parasites are one of the top things that I think of. Sometimes we need multiple stool sample checks in order to find them.

It's also possible that he picked up parasites at day care as well.

If this were my case the first thing I would do is a stool sample check. If nothing turned up there then I would likely prescribe a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole. This medication is really good for helping with intestinal inflammation. It also treats a parasite called Giardia that can sometimes be hard to pick up on a stool sample check.

The serious types of things that cause diarrhea such as parvo virus would cause Oliver to be feeling unwell - not eating, vomiting, lethargic and this doesn't sound like the case at all.

For some dogs I will do a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This may be a good idea for Oliver (although it sounds like you have done this already.) If this doesn't work then he likely needs medications prescribed by your vet.

I hope things clear up soon!

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (16888 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (52538 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (12219 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (8034 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (7146 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (10262 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (23573 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (16646 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (22624 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (24630 views)