Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days.

Breed: Boston Terrier
Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally otherwise- playful, eating and drinking, etc. I put him on a bland diet and it seems to clear up, but then it returns. At its' worse, we were going outside every 2 hours, now we are on a normal schedule, but still experiencing symptoms. He will have loose stool then go to other locations and it seems like he is trying to force more out, though he is not successful. Last night before bed he had an almost-normal bowel movement but this morning it was very loose again. He is on no medications and had a vet exam 2 weeks ago which showed he was very healthy. He was at a "doggie day care" for a week, but we picked him up on a Friday and symptoms didnt appear until the following Wed.

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver has diarrhea! Diarrhea can be very frustrating to deal with. I am glad to hear that he is still eating and otherwise feeling well.

Has he had a stool sample checked by your veterinarian for parasites? Any time that a young dog has diarrhea, parasites are one of the top things that I think of. Sometimes we need multiple stool sample checks in order to find them.

It's also possible that he picked up parasites at day care as well.

If this were my case the first thing I would do is a stool sample check. If nothing turned up there then I would likely prescribe a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole. This medication is really good for helping with intestinal inflammation. It also treats a parasite called Giardia that can sometimes be hard to pick up on a stool sample check.

The serious types of things that cause diarrhea such as parvo virus would cause Oliver to be feeling unwell - not eating, vomiting, lethargic and this doesn't sound like the case at all.

For some dogs I will do a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This may be a good idea for Oliver (although it sounds like you have done this already.) If this doesn't work then he likely needs medications prescribed by your vet.

I hope things clear up soon!

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (24635 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (8097 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (6977 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (14692 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (6500 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (8169 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (57486 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (8456 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (7186 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (6180 views)