Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days.

Breed: Boston Terrier
Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally otherwise- playful, eating and drinking, etc. I put him on a bland diet and it seems to clear up, but then it returns. At its' worse, we were going outside every 2 hours, now we are on a normal schedule, but still experiencing symptoms. He will have loose stool then go to other locations and it seems like he is trying to force more out, though he is not successful. Last night before bed he had an almost-normal bowel movement but this morning it was very loose again. He is on no medications and had a vet exam 2 weeks ago which showed he was very healthy. He was at a "doggie day care" for a week, but we picked him up on a Friday and symptoms didnt appear until the following Wed.

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver has diarrhea! Diarrhea can be very frustrating to deal with. I am glad to hear that he is still eating and otherwise feeling well.

Has he had a stool sample checked by your veterinarian for parasites? Any time that a young dog has diarrhea, parasites are one of the top things that I think of. Sometimes we need multiple stool sample checks in order to find them.

It's also possible that he picked up parasites at day care as well.

If this were my case the first thing I would do is a stool sample check. If nothing turned up there then I would likely prescribe a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole. This medication is really good for helping with intestinal inflammation. It also treats a parasite called Giardia that can sometimes be hard to pick up on a stool sample check.

The serious types of things that cause diarrhea such as parvo virus would cause Oliver to be feeling unwell - not eating, vomiting, lethargic and this doesn't sound like the case at all.

For some dogs I will do a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This may be a good idea for Oliver (although it sounds like you have done this already.) If this doesn't work then he likely needs medications prescribed by your vet.

I hope things clear up soon!

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13499 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6503 views)

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (80461 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (4745 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (11484 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (4278 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (13573 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10374 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7206 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (14373 views)