Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days.

Breed: Boston Terrier
Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally otherwise- playful, eating and drinking, etc. I put him on a bland diet and it seems to clear up, but then it returns. At its' worse, we were going outside every 2 hours, now we are on a normal schedule, but still experiencing symptoms. He will have loose stool then go to other locations and it seems like he is trying to force more out, though he is not successful. Last night before bed he had an almost-normal bowel movement but this morning it was very loose again. He is on no medications and had a vet exam 2 weeks ago which showed he was very healthy. He was at a "doggie day care" for a week, but we picked him up on a Friday and symptoms didnt appear until the following Wed.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver has diarrhea! Diarrhea can be very frustrating to deal with. I am glad to hear that he is still eating and otherwise feeling well.

Has he had a stool sample checked by your veterinarian for parasites? Any time that a young dog has diarrhea, parasites are one of the top things that I think of. Sometimes we need multiple stool sample checks in order to find them.

It's also possible that he picked up parasites at day care as well.

If this were my case the first thing I would do is a stool sample check. If nothing turned up there then I would likely prescribe a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole. This medication is really good for helping with intestinal inflammation. It also treats a parasite called Giardia that can sometimes be hard to pick up on a stool sample check.

The serious types of things that cause diarrhea such as parvo virus would cause Oliver to be feeling unwell - not eating, vomiting, lethargic and this doesn't sound like the case at all.

For some dogs I will do a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This may be a good idea for Oliver (although it sounds like you have done this already.) If this doesn't work then he likely needs medications prescribed by your vet.

I hope things clear up soon!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (2935 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (15468 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (5422 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (23766 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (16354 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (32828 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (4369 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (14810 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (9972 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (2641 views)