Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days.

Breed: Boston Terrier
Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally otherwise- playful, eating and drinking, etc. I put him on a bland diet and it seems to clear up, but then it returns. At its' worse, we were going outside every 2 hours, now we are on a normal schedule, but still experiencing symptoms. He will have loose stool then go to other locations and it seems like he is trying to force more out, though he is not successful. Last night before bed he had an almost-normal bowel movement but this morning it was very loose again. He is on no medications and had a vet exam 2 weeks ago which showed he was very healthy. He was at a "doggie day care" for a week, but we picked him up on a Friday and symptoms didnt appear until the following Wed.

I'm sorry to hear that Oliver has diarrhea! Diarrhea can be very frustrating to deal with. I am glad to hear that he is still eating and otherwise feeling well.

Has he had a stool sample checked by your veterinarian for parasites? Any time that a young dog has diarrhea, parasites are one of the top things that I think of. Sometimes we need multiple stool sample checks in order to find them.

It's also possible that he picked up parasites at day care as well.

If this were my case the first thing I would do is a stool sample check. If nothing turned up there then I would likely prescribe a course of an antibiotic called metronidazole. This medication is really good for helping with intestinal inflammation. It also treats a parasite called Giardia that can sometimes be hard to pick up on a stool sample check.

The serious types of things that cause diarrhea such as parvo virus would cause Oliver to be feeling unwell - not eating, vomiting, lethargic and this doesn't sound like the case at all.

For some dogs I will do a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This may be a good idea for Oliver (although it sounds like you have done this already.) If this doesn't work then he likely needs medications prescribed by your vet.

I hope things clear up soon!

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (8150 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (56853 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (11212 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (19716 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8748 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (5773 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (6278 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16517 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (15398 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (12346 views)