arthritis in 17 year old dog

Breed: White German Shepard
I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45 pounds. She has been having trouble getting up from a lying position. She suffers from arthritis and we've been treating her with aspirin. She is still able to stand and walk and she is still eating and drinking very well. She does urinate and deficate in the house though. Both my boyfriend and I work, so she is alone a portion of the day. Two weeks ago she couldn't get up from a lying position, and when we found her, she had tried so hard to get up that she actually wore a quarter sized open wound on her shoulder blade. My boyfriend has considered euthanizing her, because she doesn't lead a quality life. I heard there are prescription medications that can help ease the arthritis pain. She is petrified of our local veterianian and I don't want to stress her out just for them to tell me that it may be time. Do you have any suggestions as to whether or not I should attempt to prolong her life?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that buddy is having problems. 17 is quite old for any dog.

I really do think it may be worthwhile to have your vet prescribe some antiinflammatory medication. Aspirin has some effect but we have drugs that work much better. Also, aspirin can be hard on the kidneys and stomach as well.

Unfortunately though, your vet will not be able to prescribe medications without examining Buddy.

Your vet may prescribe Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx all of which are really good for arthritis. Additionally they may advise some injections called either Cartrophen or Adequan which also really help with the health of her joints. In really severe cases I sometimes also add a medication called Tramadol, but your vet will likely try other medicines first.

At this point we really need to do *something*. It doesn't seem fair to leave her the way she is. What I would likely be advising if I was your vet is to try two weeks of some good anti-inflammatories and then see how she is doing. If she is still having serious mobility issues then I would agree that her quality of life is not good.

One other thought...you could talk to your vet about a surgical procedure called hip denervation. Dogs handle this surgery extremely well. What it does is remove the nerve endings in the hip so that there is no pain. For most dogs the recovery time is really quick. However, it can be a little pricey.

I really hope she does ok.

Thank you Dr. Marie for your prompt response. I took Buddy to an Animal Hospital. Upon examination, the vet noticed that Buddy would cross her hind legs upon standing. This is not arthritis, but nerve damage which is common in larger breeds. The vet said that she most likely is not in pain, but this could eventually cause permanent paralysis. He said euthanization is an option, but not necessary at this time. He prescribed her Prednisone. She is still eating and drinking good and is now under 24 hour care. I'm going to make her as comfortable as possible and will continue to prolong her life as long as there are no changes. Thank you again for your response. I am so glad I decided to take her to the Animal Hospital.

Teri

Thanks for the update Teri. Yes, the crossing of the back legs tells us that there is some nerve damage in the spine. Hopefully the prednisone will help with inflammation in the spine and give her a better quality of life!

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (18946 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32017 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (21388 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (10174 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (16968 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (8687 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13465 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (10793 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66676 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7539 views)