Stretching out back legs.

Breed: maltese/ shitzu
My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself along,why?

This is an interesting question. Before I answer I have a few questions for you to help me understand Daisy's situation better.

Does Daisy have periods of time where she is able to walk normally or is she dragging her legs all of the time?

Is she her normal self otherwise (i.e. eating, drinking, etc.)?

How long has this been going on?

I am answering questions in between appointments all day today so I should be able to help as soon as I get your reply.

yes she appears her normal self otherwise except she hasn't been drinking water as much as normal ( i think ) she been panting a bit more (on and off but it's middle of summer here ). she doesn't do it all the time, she just appears to be stretching but sometimes squeals when picked up.

Ah, thanks for the additional information.

I was worried that Daisy was not able to move her legs at all. This could be quite serious.

Some dogs just love to stretch their legs out. In the summer time I have lots of dogs that come into my office and stretch their legs and lie on their belly on the concrete floor so that they can get as cool as possible.

Now, if she is standing in a "praying position" then I am more concerned. A praying position is where a dog sticks their bum up in the air and head down on the ground between their front legs and stretches like this. This can be a sign of abdominal pain which is usually caused by pancreatitis. However, dogs with pancreatitis usually have vomiting and don't want to eat.

It sounds like this is nothing to worry about. But if you do think she is doing the "praying position" then you should have her see a vet.

she is lying flat on her stomach and dragging her hind legs, but she keeps doing it, over and over again. she had this same problem in winter.

Hmm...there really is no medical condition that should cause her to do this. It may just be something that she likes to do.

The only other thing I could think of is if she had some type of skin irritation on her belly and this was her way of scratching it. Do you see any redness or irritation on her abdomen at all?

When she does this how long will she stay in this position for? Can she walk normally immediately after she does this?

I'm not sure if you saw my reply above...There really is no medical condition that can cause this.

If it is bothersome to see her do this then it's probably a good idea to have your vet examine her to make sure there is no medical reason for this.

My guess though is that this is just a learned behavior and nothing to worry about!

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (5933 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (6725 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (15178 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (7310 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10041 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9969 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (9160 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (5366 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (9080 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (25408 views)