Stretching out back legs.

Breed: maltese/ shitzu
My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself along,why?

This is an interesting question. Before I answer I have a few questions for you to help me understand Daisy's situation better.

Does Daisy have periods of time where she is able to walk normally or is she dragging her legs all of the time?

Is she her normal self otherwise (i.e. eating, drinking, etc.)?

How long has this been going on?

I am answering questions in between appointments all day today so I should be able to help as soon as I get your reply.

yes she appears her normal self otherwise except she hasn't been drinking water as much as normal ( i think ) she been panting a bit more (on and off but it's middle of summer here ). she doesn't do it all the time, she just appears to be stretching but sometimes squeals when picked up.

Ah, thanks for the additional information.

I was worried that Daisy was not able to move her legs at all. This could be quite serious.

Some dogs just love to stretch their legs out. In the summer time I have lots of dogs that come into my office and stretch their legs and lie on their belly on the concrete floor so that they can get as cool as possible.

Now, if she is standing in a "praying position" then I am more concerned. A praying position is where a dog sticks their bum up in the air and head down on the ground between their front legs and stretches like this. This can be a sign of abdominal pain which is usually caused by pancreatitis. However, dogs with pancreatitis usually have vomiting and don't want to eat.

It sounds like this is nothing to worry about. But if you do think she is doing the "praying position" then you should have her see a vet.

she is lying flat on her stomach and dragging her hind legs, but she keeps doing it, over and over again. she had this same problem in winter.

Hmm...there really is no medical condition that should cause her to do this. It may just be something that she likes to do.

The only other thing I could think of is if she had some type of skin irritation on her belly and this was her way of scratching it. Do you see any redness or irritation on her abdomen at all?

When she does this how long will she stay in this position for? Can she walk normally immediately after she does this?

I'm not sure if you saw my reply above...There really is no medical condition that can cause this.

If it is bothersome to see her do this then it's probably a good idea to have your vet examine her to make sure there is no medical reason for this.

My guess though is that this is just a learned behavior and nothing to worry about!

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8857 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8256 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (40936 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (19152 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4774 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (10456 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8454 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8847 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (8616 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (9283 views)