Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10065 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (13898 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7269 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (5969 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (7515 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4298 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (21781 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (32377 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (22741 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (17068 views)