Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (20446 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (24899 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (32794 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (60812 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (20209 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (12957 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (16054 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14642 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (8480 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (17439 views)