Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (44483 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (9618 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (62248 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (15997 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (46546 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (29428 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (9847 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (26875 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (8513 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (59918 views)