Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (70168 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6449 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10049 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12130 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (18676 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26577 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30040 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (29980 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4920 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (21870 views)