Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (16074 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5779 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (5918 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23617 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (38804 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14932 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (111812 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17562 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40796 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8205 views)