Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (7944 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (28531 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (10116 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (16042 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (15123 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (17361 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (8668 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (10354 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (11424 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (13768 views)