Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (89751 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (19375 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (18583 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (2829 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (4550 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (4540 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (7577 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (4476 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (16205 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (20972 views)