Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (156481 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (3868 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (6262 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (6280 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (8747 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (5106 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (17462 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (7444 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (5635 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (22167 views)