Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (23503 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (50474 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (4727 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (10817 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (8816 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (4524 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (25657 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (13009 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (5486 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (25855 views)