Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (14087 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (9285 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (12705 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (22760 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (9419 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (7952 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (4994 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (6100 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (12109 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (17729 views)