Rapid breathing in sleep.

Breed: Shih tzu poodle mix
My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out of breathe. What is this and should I be concerned?

It is very unlikely that this is anything to worry about. I often get people asking me whether they should be concerned because their puppy breathes very rapidly when sleeping.

It is actually quite normal for puppies to breathe quickly in their sleep.

I would only be concerned if you were seeing any of the following:
-excessive coughing
-extreme lethargy when awake
-lack of appetite
-Dog is open mouth breathing (i.e. panting a lot when awake)

If you see any of those symptoms, then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (10395 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (25058 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (29169 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (16575 views)

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (24147 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (6957 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (23999 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4034 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (6932 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (145300 views)