Dog ate foam padding.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow the soft yellow foam padding. A chunk about the size of my thumb from the knuckle to the tip and maybe half the height(thickness) of my thumb.

So far there's been no throwing up, regular eating, a poo this morning, and he's been very active.

Will it pass and is there anything I should do?

Jay

Oh Max.

I would be very surprised if this caused a problem. The biggest concern of course would be for obstruction. So, we should keep an eye out for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy or obvious abdominal pain.

It's a good idea to help to bulk up Max's stools to help get this foam piece through. You can do that by adding 1/4 tsp bran to his meals or by giving him a couple of bran muffins over the day.

It really should pass!

Sounds good. I will keep an eye out. I've given him lots of cucumber so far this morning to add fiber.

One other small question. He has these rope toys with the frilly ends. Sometimes he pulls out the threads and eats it. Is this something I should discourage ?

It all depends on the size of the pieces he gets off. If they are little (like under 2 inches) I wouldn't worry. But if he gets longer ones then I wouldn't allow it!

Ok thanks.

We're off to Woofstock now to laugh at the poodles with the purple hair.

Enjoy your day

Jay

Haha! Sounds like fun! Have a great time!

Good news! He passed the foam at lunch today, 15 hrs later.

Another question - he has a dog walker. Somehow he managed to eat a branch. At lunch the pieces made up almost a third of his stool. One was 1.5" long. And today at 8 his stool had a few more chunks.

No blackness or other sign of bleeding. Normal activity, eating, etc.

How likely are branches to cause perforations?

Yay! Glad to hear that it has appeared.

The question about the branch is a tough one to answer. If it is just little twigs then they are very unlikely to cause a problem. The biggest concern would be if there was a big enough piece of branch to cause an obstruction - but this would be quite unlikely.

It's a good idea to keep up with the fiber for another day or two to help the pieces work their way out.

the pieces I am seeing today Are obviously from Friday or beforehand.

I don't know why some things take longer than others to make their way out. As in the past, as long as Max is happy, pooping normally and eating well I wouldn't be too worried.

If it was obstructing, there would be vomiting and lethargy and diahrea / blackened stools right? I've seen none of this though his morning appetite is off (which could be that hes tiring of the fishy food).

You're right. Look for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy and a complete lack of appetite.

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (11668 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (12841 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (10010 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (15784 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (110685 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (10398 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (8247 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (20062 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (8638 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (3837 views)