Dog ate foam padding.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow the soft yellow foam padding. A chunk about the size of my thumb from the knuckle to the tip and maybe half the height(thickness) of my thumb.

So far there's been no throwing up, regular eating, a poo this morning, and he's been very active.

Will it pass and is there anything I should do?

Jay

Oh Max.

I would be very surprised if this caused a problem. The biggest concern of course would be for obstruction. So, we should keep an eye out for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy or obvious abdominal pain.

It's a good idea to help to bulk up Max's stools to help get this foam piece through. You can do that by adding 1/4 tsp bran to his meals or by giving him a couple of bran muffins over the day.

It really should pass!

Sounds good. I will keep an eye out. I've given him lots of cucumber so far this morning to add fiber.

One other small question. He has these rope toys with the frilly ends. Sometimes he pulls out the threads and eats it. Is this something I should discourage ?

It all depends on the size of the pieces he gets off. If they are little (like under 2 inches) I wouldn't worry. But if he gets longer ones then I wouldn't allow it!

Ok thanks.

We're off to Woofstock now to laugh at the poodles with the purple hair.

Enjoy your day

Jay

Haha! Sounds like fun! Have a great time!

Good news! He passed the foam at lunch today, 15 hrs later.

Another question - he has a dog walker. Somehow he managed to eat a branch. At lunch the pieces made up almost a third of his stool. One was 1.5" long. And today at 8 his stool had a few more chunks.

No blackness or other sign of bleeding. Normal activity, eating, etc.

How likely are branches to cause perforations?

Yay! Glad to hear that it has appeared.

The question about the branch is a tough one to answer. If it is just little twigs then they are very unlikely to cause a problem. The biggest concern would be if there was a big enough piece of branch to cause an obstruction - but this would be quite unlikely.

It's a good idea to keep up with the fiber for another day or two to help the pieces work their way out.

the pieces I am seeing today Are obviously from Friday or beforehand.

I don't know why some things take longer than others to make their way out. As in the past, as long as Max is happy, pooping normally and eating well I wouldn't be too worried.

If it was obstructing, there would be vomiting and lethargy and diahrea / blackened stools right? I've seen none of this though his morning appetite is off (which could be that hes tiring of the fishy food).

You're right. Look for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy and a complete lack of appetite.

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (18141 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (13136 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (10132 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (13593 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (2950 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (28374 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (7450 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (5688 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (23571 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (20160 views)