Dog ate foam padding.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow the soft yellow foam padding. A chunk about the size of my thumb from the knuckle to the tip and maybe half the height(thickness) of my thumb.

So far there's been no throwing up, regular eating, a poo this morning, and he's been very active.

Will it pass and is there anything I should do?

Jay

Oh Max.

I would be very surprised if this caused a problem. The biggest concern of course would be for obstruction. So, we should keep an eye out for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy or obvious abdominal pain.

It's a good idea to help to bulk up Max's stools to help get this foam piece through. You can do that by adding 1/4 tsp bran to his meals or by giving him a couple of bran muffins over the day.

It really should pass!

Sounds good. I will keep an eye out. I've given him lots of cucumber so far this morning to add fiber.

One other small question. He has these rope toys with the frilly ends. Sometimes he pulls out the threads and eats it. Is this something I should discourage ?

It all depends on the size of the pieces he gets off. If they are little (like under 2 inches) I wouldn't worry. But if he gets longer ones then I wouldn't allow it!

Ok thanks.

We're off to Woofstock now to laugh at the poodles with the purple hair.

Enjoy your day

Jay

Haha! Sounds like fun! Have a great time!

Good news! He passed the foam at lunch today, 15 hrs later.

Another question - he has a dog walker. Somehow he managed to eat a branch. At lunch the pieces made up almost a third of his stool. One was 1.5" long. And today at 8 his stool had a few more chunks.

No blackness or other sign of bleeding. Normal activity, eating, etc.

How likely are branches to cause perforations?

Yay! Glad to hear that it has appeared.

The question about the branch is a tough one to answer. If it is just little twigs then they are very unlikely to cause a problem. The biggest concern would be if there was a big enough piece of branch to cause an obstruction - but this would be quite unlikely.

It's a good idea to keep up with the fiber for another day or two to help the pieces work their way out.

the pieces I am seeing today Are obviously from Friday or beforehand.

I don't know why some things take longer than others to make their way out. As in the past, as long as Max is happy, pooping normally and eating well I wouldn't be too worried.

If it was obstructing, there would be vomiting and lethargy and diahrea / blackened stools right? I've seen none of this though his morning appetite is off (which could be that hes tiring of the fishy food).

You're right. Look for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy and a complete lack of appetite.

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (13890 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (13796 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (7600 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (8860 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (11542 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (6782 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (7667 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (11008 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (9229 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (8283 views)