Dog ate foam padding.

Breed: Golden
Hi Dr,

At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow the soft yellow foam padding. A chunk about the size of my thumb from the knuckle to the tip and maybe half the height(thickness) of my thumb.

So far there's been no throwing up, regular eating, a poo this morning, and he's been very active.

Will it pass and is there anything I should do?

Jay

Oh Max.

I would be very surprised if this caused a problem. The biggest concern of course would be for obstruction. So, we should keep an eye out for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy or obvious abdominal pain.

It's a good idea to help to bulk up Max's stools to help get this foam piece through. You can do that by adding 1/4 tsp bran to his meals or by giving him a couple of bran muffins over the day.

It really should pass!

Sounds good. I will keep an eye out. I've given him lots of cucumber so far this morning to add fiber.

One other small question. He has these rope toys with the frilly ends. Sometimes he pulls out the threads and eats it. Is this something I should discourage ?

It all depends on the size of the pieces he gets off. If they are little (like under 2 inches) I wouldn't worry. But if he gets longer ones then I wouldn't allow it!

Ok thanks.

We're off to Woofstock now to laugh at the poodles with the purple hair.

Enjoy your day

Jay

Haha! Sounds like fun! Have a great time!

Good news! He passed the foam at lunch today, 15 hrs later.

Another question - he has a dog walker. Somehow he managed to eat a branch. At lunch the pieces made up almost a third of his stool. One was 1.5" long. And today at 8 his stool had a few more chunks.

No blackness or other sign of bleeding. Normal activity, eating, etc.

How likely are branches to cause perforations?

Yay! Glad to hear that it has appeared.

The question about the branch is a tough one to answer. If it is just little twigs then they are very unlikely to cause a problem. The biggest concern would be if there was a big enough piece of branch to cause an obstruction - but this would be quite unlikely.

It's a good idea to keep up with the fiber for another day or two to help the pieces work their way out.

the pieces I am seeing today Are obviously from Friday or beforehand.

I don't know why some things take longer than others to make their way out. As in the past, as long as Max is happy, pooping normally and eating well I wouldn't be too worried.

If it was obstructing, there would be vomiting and lethargy and diahrea / blackened stools right? I've seen none of this though his morning appetite is off (which could be that hes tiring of the fishy food).

You're right. Look for vomiting, straining to defecate, lethargy and a complete lack of appetite.

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (13311 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (100795 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (6858 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (6562 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (6733 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (4822 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (9121 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (10507 views)

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (11880 views)

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (4150 views)