Vaginal bleeding.

Breed: jack russell terrior
Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she does a wee. Been going on and off for a month. Is this serious

Hi Wendy...thanks for your question about Flash. While I can't say for sure what is happening to her without examining her, I can give you a few ideas that you can talk to your vet about.

First of all, it is possible that she has a urinary tract infection. However, usually with an infection we see a real urgency to urinate and the dog is trying to pee constantly without producing any urine. It is also a little unlikely that she would have this problem for a month.

Next, is the possibility that she has urinary crystals. We often don't know why dogs get this. If there are crystals there they cause the bladder to be inflamed and we can see some bleeding. If there are crystals there it is important to get her on appropriate treatment from your vet as the crystals can eventually form a bladder stone.

She could also have a vaginal infection. We will usually see some type of discharge (pus or mucus) from the vagina if this is the case, but not always.

I do sometimes get worried about a senior dog who has bleeding especially if it is not combined with any straining to urinate. Sometimes we can see tumors of the reproductive tract or bladder that can cause this symptom.

And one final thought...we will occasionally see spayed females who have something called an ovarian remnant. What this means is that a small portion of the ovary was actually left in during the spay (or some animals actually have residual ovarian tissue in their abdomen). This can eventually cause the dog to have heat cycles. If this is the case, the bleeding should not last longer than 3-4 weeks. However, it would be a little bit unusual to see this in an older dog.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will do a urinalysis to determine if there is a urinary tract problem. They will do a good vaginal exam (as much as your girl will allow), and may want to do some additional tests.

thankypu very much for the info. I will take her to the local vet when they re-open.

Sounds good! I hope she does well!

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (14374 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (17888 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (13000 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17271 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8630 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20474 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7244 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (6842 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7474 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (13568 views)