Vaginal bleeding.

Breed: jack russell terrior
Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she does a wee. Been going on and off for a month. Is this serious

Hi Wendy...thanks for your question about Flash. While I can't say for sure what is happening to her without examining her, I can give you a few ideas that you can talk to your vet about.

First of all, it is possible that she has a urinary tract infection. However, usually with an infection we see a real urgency to urinate and the dog is trying to pee constantly without producing any urine. It is also a little unlikely that she would have this problem for a month.

Next, is the possibility that she has urinary crystals. We often don't know why dogs get this. If there are crystals there they cause the bladder to be inflamed and we can see some bleeding. If there are crystals there it is important to get her on appropriate treatment from your vet as the crystals can eventually form a bladder stone.

She could also have a vaginal infection. We will usually see some type of discharge (pus or mucus) from the vagina if this is the case, but not always.

I do sometimes get worried about a senior dog who has bleeding especially if it is not combined with any straining to urinate. Sometimes we can see tumors of the reproductive tract or bladder that can cause this symptom.

And one final thought...we will occasionally see spayed females who have something called an ovarian remnant. What this means is that a small portion of the ovary was actually left in during the spay (or some animals actually have residual ovarian tissue in their abdomen). This can eventually cause the dog to have heat cycles. If this is the case, the bleeding should not last longer than 3-4 weeks. However, it would be a little bit unusual to see this in an older dog.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will do a urinalysis to determine if there is a urinary tract problem. They will do a good vaginal exam (as much as your girl will allow), and may want to do some additional tests.

thankypu very much for the info. I will take her to the local vet when they re-open.

Sounds good! I hope she does well!

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (16911 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (12692 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (7943 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (11259 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (4843 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (6607 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (9821 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (7335 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (8095 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (10236 views)