Vaginal bleeding.

Breed: jack russell terrior
Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she does a wee. Been going on and off for a month. Is this serious

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi Wendy...thanks for your question about Flash. While I can't say for sure what is happening to her without examining her, I can give you a few ideas that you can talk to your vet about.

First of all, it is possible that she has a urinary tract infection. However, usually with an infection we see a real urgency to urinate and the dog is trying to pee constantly without producing any urine. It is also a little unlikely that she would have this problem for a month.

Next, is the possibility that she has urinary crystals. We often don't know why dogs get this. If there are crystals there they cause the bladder to be inflamed and we can see some bleeding. If there are crystals there it is important to get her on appropriate treatment from your vet as the crystals can eventually form a bladder stone.

She could also have a vaginal infection. We will usually see some type of discharge (pus or mucus) from the vagina if this is the case, but not always.

I do sometimes get worried about a senior dog who has bleeding especially if it is not combined with any straining to urinate. Sometimes we can see tumors of the reproductive tract or bladder that can cause this symptom.

And one final thought...we will occasionally see spayed females who have something called an ovarian remnant. What this means is that a small portion of the ovary was actually left in during the spay (or some animals actually have residual ovarian tissue in their abdomen). This can eventually cause the dog to have heat cycles. If this is the case, the bleeding should not last longer than 3-4 weeks. However, it would be a little bit unusual to see this in an older dog.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will do a urinalysis to determine if there is a urinary tract problem. They will do a good vaginal exam (as much as your girl will allow), and may want to do some additional tests.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

thankypu very much for the info. I will take her to the local vet when they re-open.

Sounds good! I hope she does well!

Dog won't pee in the yard. Our shiba Jesse has always peed and pooped in our fenced in backyard. We recently... (16346 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (4776 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (7869 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (2942 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (7537 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (10702 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (3038 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (18675 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (8991 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (5431 views)