Black spots on belly and chest.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel
Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were just a few, but they have spread and now are starting to go up his chest. They look like scabs, but are smooth to the touch. We have given him baths, but that didn't really make a difference. We have taken pictures, that we can send if that would help.

I would love to see pictures before I reply. You can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included two of them here:

spots on dog's belly

spots on dog's belly

I have seen dogs have spots like this before. The answer to what they are depends on whether or not they are itchy. If they are not itchy then they are likely nothing to worry about. Some dogs will just get little deposits of pigment on their belly.

But, if they are itchy, it's possible they are caused by a bacterial infection. If so, he'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My guess from what I've seen though is that they are nothing to worry about!

Thanks Dr. Marie!

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9170 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (22698 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7002 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (11559 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6180 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (9205 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (51275 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (14405 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (10598 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (24006 views)