Black spots on belly and chest.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel
Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were just a few, but they have spread and now are starting to go up his chest. They look like scabs, but are smooth to the touch. We have given him baths, but that didn't really make a difference. We have taken pictures, that we can send if that would help.

I would love to see pictures before I reply. You can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included two of them here:

spots on dog's belly

spots on dog's belly

I have seen dogs have spots like this before. The answer to what they are depends on whether or not they are itchy. If they are not itchy then they are likely nothing to worry about. Some dogs will just get little deposits of pigment on their belly.

But, if they are itchy, it's possible they are caused by a bacterial infection. If so, he'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My guess from what I've seen though is that they are nothing to worry about!

Thanks Dr. Marie!

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6837 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (20398 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6788 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (10362 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5931 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (24676 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9491 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27829 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (14709 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15736 views)