Black spots on belly and chest.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel
Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were just a few, but they have spread and now are starting to go up his chest. They look like scabs, but are smooth to the touch. We have given him baths, but that didn't really make a difference. We have taken pictures, that we can send if that would help.

I would love to see pictures before I reply. You can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included two of them here:

spots on dog's belly

spots on dog's belly

I have seen dogs have spots like this before. The answer to what they are depends on whether or not they are itchy. If they are not itchy then they are likely nothing to worry about. Some dogs will just get little deposits of pigment on their belly.

But, if they are itchy, it's possible they are caused by a bacterial infection. If so, he'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My guess from what I've seen though is that they are nothing to worry about!

Thanks Dr. Marie!

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (11776 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8926 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (7645 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10908 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (16732 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (119338 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (5931 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (16126 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (12514 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (10567 views)