Black spots on belly and chest.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel
Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were just a few, but they have spread and now are starting to go up his chest. They look like scabs, but are smooth to the touch. We have given him baths, but that didn't really make a difference. We have taken pictures, that we can send if that would help.

I would love to see pictures before I reply. You can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included two of them here:

spots on dog's belly

spots on dog's belly

I have seen dogs have spots like this before. The answer to what they are depends on whether or not they are itchy. If they are not itchy then they are likely nothing to worry about. Some dogs will just get little deposits of pigment on their belly.

But, if they are itchy, it's possible they are caused by a bacterial infection. If so, he'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My guess from what I've seen though is that they are nothing to worry about!

Thanks Dr. Marie!

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18973 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (39784 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (18778 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38443 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (10988 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29679 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (10844 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (80121 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18840 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15691 views)