Black spots on belly and chest.

Breed: Cocker Spaniel
Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were just a few, but they have spread and now are starting to go up his chest. They look like scabs, but are smooth to the touch. We have given him baths, but that didn't really make a difference. We have taken pictures, that we can send if that would help.

I would love to see pictures before I reply. You can send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for the photos. I've included two of them here:

spots on dog's belly

spots on dog's belly

I have seen dogs have spots like this before. The answer to what they are depends on whether or not they are itchy. If they are not itchy then they are likely nothing to worry about. Some dogs will just get little deposits of pigment on their belly.

But, if they are itchy, it's possible they are caused by a bacterial infection. If so, he'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My guess from what I've seen though is that they are nothing to worry about!

Thanks Dr. Marie!

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11312 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (8040 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (90713 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (8243 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (32774 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (10406 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (10927 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15942 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40843 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8256 views)