Dog has itchy bum.

Breed: Jack Russell
Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but tonight it has increased 10x. She is frustrated, constantly rubbing her butt on any hard surface she can. She is not able to relax and is pacing the room. We live in Germany (Army) and an emergency room visit is outrageous here. I will call our vet in the morning and will get refered to someone since our vet on our post is usually "out". Please tell me what I can do to help relieve her distress. She is miserable. I have tried hemmoroid pads / witch hazel. I have tried applying hydrocortozone cream (2%). Have read that it might be that her anal glands need expressing which I cannot do at home. Is there anything I can do on this Sunday night? Please, if you can help...

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Bella is so uncomfortable! It certainly does sound like it could be her anals. However full anals shouldn't cause this degree of discomfort. It may be that she has an infection or abscess in her anal sacs. If this is the case she may not get relief until she sees a vet.

You are doing all of the right things. The hydrocortisone cream is likely to be the most helpful. There is a small chance that benadryl could help. I can't give you a dose but it available by searching at petplace.com.

If you can see a protrusion on one side of the anus there could be an abscess. Warm compresses on this area may help. If this is what is happening when it ruptures it will feel better.

I wish I could do more for you as it sounds like she is very uncomfortable. Feel free to reply but I may not be able to respond right away as I am at church and writing on my blackberry right now.

Thanks for your reply even though you were in church!! I really needed help so you were a huge blessing to me. She is sleeping now...I didn't see any swelling around the anus (has always looked "normal" to me) but figured the warm compresses couldn't hurt so I did them. She was sitting on my lap when I started and by the time I was finishing she had laid down, sighed, and started to fall asleep WHILE I was doing the compresses! lol She had the face like "oooohhh, thank you so much!" so atleast I know they calmed her down and felt good to her backside. Did another dose of hydrocortosone, gave the benadryl, and hopefully she doesn't wake in the night itching. If she does, I know now how to help her if just temporarily. Prayfully I'll get to see a vet tomorrow...don't know a German vet here yet.
Thanks again!!!!
Jennifer

You're very welcome! I hope the rest of the night goes well for Bella. Let me know if you have more concerns about her!

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (7647 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (22531 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (15713 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (43861 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (11725 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (9247 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (46464 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (6788 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (24544 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5383 views)