Dog has itchy bum.

Breed: Jack Russell
Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but tonight it has increased 10x. She is frustrated, constantly rubbing her butt on any hard surface she can. She is not able to relax and is pacing the room. We live in Germany (Army) and an emergency room visit is outrageous here. I will call our vet in the morning and will get refered to someone since our vet on our post is usually "out". Please tell me what I can do to help relieve her distress. She is miserable. I have tried hemmoroid pads / witch hazel. I have tried applying hydrocortozone cream (2%). Have read that it might be that her anal glands need expressing which I cannot do at home. Is there anything I can do on this Sunday night? Please, if you can help...

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Bella is so uncomfortable! It certainly does sound like it could be her anals. However full anals shouldn't cause this degree of discomfort. It may be that she has an infection or abscess in her anal sacs. If this is the case she may not get relief until she sees a vet.

You are doing all of the right things. The hydrocortisone cream is likely to be the most helpful. There is a small chance that benadryl could help. I can't give you a dose but it available by searching at petplace.com.

If you can see a protrusion on one side of the anus there could be an abscess. Warm compresses on this area may help. If this is what is happening when it ruptures it will feel better.

I wish I could do more for you as it sounds like she is very uncomfortable. Feel free to reply but I may not be able to respond right away as I am at church and writing on my blackberry right now.

Thanks for your reply even though you were in church!! I really needed help so you were a huge blessing to me. She is sleeping now...I didn't see any swelling around the anus (has always looked "normal" to me) but figured the warm compresses couldn't hurt so I did them. She was sitting on my lap when I started and by the time I was finishing she had laid down, sighed, and started to fall asleep WHILE I was doing the compresses! lol She had the face like "oooohhh, thank you so much!" so atleast I know they calmed her down and felt good to her backside. Did another dose of hydrocortosone, gave the benadryl, and hopefully she doesn't wake in the night itching. If she does, I know now how to help her if just temporarily. Prayfully I'll get to see a vet tomorrow...don't know a German vet here yet.
Thanks again!!!!
Jennifer

You're very welcome! I hope the rest of the night goes well for Bella. Let me know if you have more concerns about her!

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (24174 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (17213 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10421 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5284 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13143 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (80437 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (19031 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (15188 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7123 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (9615 views)