Dog has itchy bum.

Breed: Jack Russell
Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but tonight it has increased 10x. She is frustrated, constantly rubbing her butt on any hard surface she can. She is not able to relax and is pacing the room. We live in Germany (Army) and an emergency room visit is outrageous here. I will call our vet in the morning and will get refered to someone since our vet on our post is usually "out". Please tell me what I can do to help relieve her distress. She is miserable. I have tried hemmoroid pads / witch hazel. I have tried applying hydrocortozone cream (2%). Have read that it might be that her anal glands need expressing which I cannot do at home. Is there anything I can do on this Sunday night? Please, if you can help...

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Bella is so uncomfortable! It certainly does sound like it could be her anals. However full anals shouldn't cause this degree of discomfort. It may be that she has an infection or abscess in her anal sacs. If this is the case she may not get relief until she sees a vet.

You are doing all of the right things. The hydrocortisone cream is likely to be the most helpful. There is a small chance that benadryl could help. I can't give you a dose but it available by searching at petplace.com.

If you can see a protrusion on one side of the anus there could be an abscess. Warm compresses on this area may help. If this is what is happening when it ruptures it will feel better.

I wish I could do more for you as it sounds like she is very uncomfortable. Feel free to reply but I may not be able to respond right away as I am at church and writing on my blackberry right now.

Thanks for your reply even though you were in church!! I really needed help so you were a huge blessing to me. She is sleeping now...I didn't see any swelling around the anus (has always looked "normal" to me) but figured the warm compresses couldn't hurt so I did them. She was sitting on my lap when I started and by the time I was finishing she had laid down, sighed, and started to fall asleep WHILE I was doing the compresses! lol She had the face like "oooohhh, thank you so much!" so atleast I know they calmed her down and felt good to her backside. Did another dose of hydrocortosone, gave the benadryl, and hopefully she doesn't wake in the night itching. If she does, I know now how to help her if just temporarily. Prayfully I'll get to see a vet tomorrow...don't know a German vet here yet.
Thanks again!!!!
Jennifer

You're very welcome! I hope the rest of the night goes well for Bella. Let me know if you have more concerns about her!

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (5290 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (5537 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (11375 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (8815 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (9551 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (13863 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (94233 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (124582 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (11292 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (11750 views)