Dog has itchy bum.

Breed: Jack Russell
Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but tonight it has increased 10x. She is frustrated, constantly rubbing her butt on any hard surface she can. She is not able to relax and is pacing the room. We live in Germany (Army) and an emergency room visit is outrageous here. I will call our vet in the morning and will get refered to someone since our vet on our post is usually "out". Please tell me what I can do to help relieve her distress. She is miserable. I have tried hemmoroid pads / witch hazel. I have tried applying hydrocortozone cream (2%). Have read that it might be that her anal glands need expressing which I cannot do at home. Is there anything I can do on this Sunday night? Please, if you can help...

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Bella is so uncomfortable! It certainly does sound like it could be her anals. However full anals shouldn't cause this degree of discomfort. It may be that she has an infection or abscess in her anal sacs. If this is the case she may not get relief until she sees a vet.

You are doing all of the right things. The hydrocortisone cream is likely to be the most helpful. There is a small chance that benadryl could help. I can't give you a dose but it available by searching at petplace.com.

If you can see a protrusion on one side of the anus there could be an abscess. Warm compresses on this area may help. If this is what is happening when it ruptures it will feel better.

I wish I could do more for you as it sounds like she is very uncomfortable. Feel free to reply but I may not be able to respond right away as I am at church and writing on my blackberry right now.

Thanks for your reply even though you were in church!! I really needed help so you were a huge blessing to me. She is sleeping now...I didn't see any swelling around the anus (has always looked "normal" to me) but figured the warm compresses couldn't hurt so I did them. She was sitting on my lap when I started and by the time I was finishing she had laid down, sighed, and started to fall asleep WHILE I was doing the compresses! lol She had the face like "oooohhh, thank you so much!" so atleast I know they calmed her down and felt good to her backside. Did another dose of hydrocortosone, gave the benadryl, and hopefully she doesn't wake in the night itching. If she does, I know now how to help her if just temporarily. Prayfully I'll get to see a vet tomorrow...don't know a German vet here yet.
Thanks again!!!!
Jennifer

You're very welcome! I hope the rest of the night goes well for Bella. Let me know if you have more concerns about her!

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (8315 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (7319 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (6120 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (219240 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (9994 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (16526 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (50121 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (14865 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (23285 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (19270 views)