Dog has itchy bum.

Breed: Jack Russell
Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but tonight it has increased 10x. She is frustrated, constantly rubbing her butt on any hard surface she can. She is not able to relax and is pacing the room. We live in Germany (Army) and an emergency room visit is outrageous here. I will call our vet in the morning and will get refered to someone since our vet on our post is usually "out". Please tell me what I can do to help relieve her distress. She is miserable. I have tried hemmoroid pads / witch hazel. I have tried applying hydrocortozone cream (2%). Have read that it might be that her anal glands need expressing which I cannot do at home. Is there anything I can do on this Sunday night? Please, if you can help...

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Bella is so uncomfortable! It certainly does sound like it could be her anals. However full anals shouldn't cause this degree of discomfort. It may be that she has an infection or abscess in her anal sacs. If this is the case she may not get relief until she sees a vet.

You are doing all of the right things. The hydrocortisone cream is likely to be the most helpful. There is a small chance that benadryl could help. I can't give you a dose but it available by searching at petplace.com.

If you can see a protrusion on one side of the anus there could be an abscess. Warm compresses on this area may help. If this is what is happening when it ruptures it will feel better.

I wish I could do more for you as it sounds like she is very uncomfortable. Feel free to reply but I may not be able to respond right away as I am at church and writing on my blackberry right now.

Thanks for your reply even though you were in church!! I really needed help so you were a huge blessing to me. She is sleeping now...I didn't see any swelling around the anus (has always looked "normal" to me) but figured the warm compresses couldn't hurt so I did them. She was sitting on my lap when I started and by the time I was finishing she had laid down, sighed, and started to fall asleep WHILE I was doing the compresses! lol She had the face like "oooohhh, thank you so much!" so atleast I know they calmed her down and felt good to her backside. Did another dose of hydrocortosone, gave the benadryl, and hopefully she doesn't wake in the night itching. If she does, I know now how to help her if just temporarily. Prayfully I'll get to see a vet tomorrow...don't know a German vet here yet.
Thanks again!!!!
Jennifer

You're very welcome! I hope the rest of the night goes well for Bella. Let me know if you have more concerns about her!

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9375 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (29314 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (6729 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6359 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (16809 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (28829 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10978 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (9127 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (6902 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (11292 views)