Unable to walk.

Breed: Austrian Shelty mix
We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found him laying down in the grass. He was trying to stand up but couldn't. His back legs are extremely week and cant hold his weight very well. He is also very drowsy. Within the past 1.5 hours his nose has become very warm. We were able to help him up and he took a few steps but was very weak. He is drinking water. We felt all over his hind-quarters but he didn't cry at all so we cant pin point where it hurts.

Oh, it sounds like something serious is going on with Jackson.

I have some questions for you...

• Are his gums dark pink, pale pink or white?

• Do you think he is breathing any faster than usual?

• Is he able to put weight on his back legs at all?

Thanks...I'll be waiting for your reply.

1. Jackson's gum are slightly pale pink on the roof of the gums.

2. His breathing irregular: he seems to be taking three short, sharp breaths in and a longer exhale.

3. He can put weight on his legs but struggles a lot. The problem seems to be that he can't lift his weight without assistance from us. If we set him on his legs he can hold the weight but is very quick to sit back down.

OK, thanks for this info. I can think of two possibilities for what is going on. Unfortunately both of them are very serious and will require an emergency visit.

The first is that he may have some internal bleeding. This could be the result of trauma (i.e. being hit by a vehicle), or a random event such as a spleen torsion, or as a result of eating rat or mouse poison.

The second possibility is if Jackson has injured his back. If he has intervertebral disc disease, this will cause his back legs to be very weak because the spinal cord is being compressed. If there is a spinal injury then sometimes if we treat these fast enough with steroids dogs will recover just fine. But, if not treated quick enough some dogs can end up paralyzed.

Are you able to get him to an emergency clinic tonight? This really doesn't sound like something that can wait until the morning.

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (14014 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (7077 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (3027 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (12086 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (11805 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (8439 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (6894 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (35362 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (10014 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (7353 views)