Unable to walk.

Breed: Austrian Shelty mix
We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found him laying down in the grass. He was trying to stand up but couldn't. His back legs are extremely week and cant hold his weight very well. He is also very drowsy. Within the past 1.5 hours his nose has become very warm. We were able to help him up and he took a few steps but was very weak. He is drinking water. We felt all over his hind-quarters but he didn't cry at all so we cant pin point where it hurts.

Oh, it sounds like something serious is going on with Jackson.

I have some questions for you...

• Are his gums dark pink, pale pink or white?

• Do you think he is breathing any faster than usual?

• Is he able to put weight on his back legs at all?

Thanks...I'll be waiting for your reply.

1. Jackson's gum are slightly pale pink on the roof of the gums.

2. His breathing irregular: he seems to be taking three short, sharp breaths in and a longer exhale.

3. He can put weight on his legs but struggles a lot. The problem seems to be that he can't lift his weight without assistance from us. If we set him on his legs he can hold the weight but is very quick to sit back down.

OK, thanks for this info. I can think of two possibilities for what is going on. Unfortunately both of them are very serious and will require an emergency visit.

The first is that he may have some internal bleeding. This could be the result of trauma (i.e. being hit by a vehicle), or a random event such as a spleen torsion, or as a result of eating rat or mouse poison.

The second possibility is if Jackson has injured his back. If he has intervertebral disc disease, this will cause his back legs to be very weak because the spinal cord is being compressed. If there is a spinal injury then sometimes if we treat these fast enough with steroids dogs will recover just fine. But, if not treated quick enough some dogs can end up paralyzed.

Are you able to get him to an emergency clinic tonight? This really doesn't sound like something that can wait until the morning.

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (13892 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (5508 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (5648 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (18901 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (41459 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (3373 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (7156 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (6775 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (12000 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (4926 views)