Dog not well after fighting.

Breed: Boxer
My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was on the floor on his back and the other dog was on top holding on by his neck. Captain is 60 pounds and the other one maybe 160...huge labmix...
he was moaning and trying to get away. I did get the dog off. It was an "overexcitment fight"...they usually get along.

Small major wounds..scratches, small couple of bite punctures. I treated that. He was sore though. Mostly his hindlegs and the hip area.

Captain peed in 3 spots overnight and drank and peed excessively all day. He never goes inside.I am worried and just like to ask you before my vet visit. He is very sore.

Oh, poor Captain. It sounds like he is very sore.

I am concerned about the fact that he is drinking and urinating more than usual. Being sore should not cause these symptoms.

If he was shaken by the larger dog then there is the possibility for organ damage. If his kidneys or liver were damaged then this can cause an increase in thirst and urination.

Another thing that could cause kidney damage would be if he was given certain human pain medications such as Naproxen or too much Ibuprofen.

Can you tell if his gums are nice and pink? Sometimes it is hard with boxers because they can have black pigment on their gums. If they look like they are white or very pale pink then there is a possibility that he has internal bleeding. Bleeding into the abdomen or chest can cause a dog to feel very thirsty and drink extra water.

It really does sound like he needs to see the vet as soon as possible. It is possible that he will just need some antibiotics and pain medication, but again, the increase in thirst and urination really does have me concerned. If there is an organ problem or a bleeding problem then waiting overnight could be the difference between life and death.

I really hope he is ok!

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (59519 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (23211 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (18377 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (14905 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (7013 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (9031 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (22550 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (38228 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (16395 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (22476 views)