Swollen gums in dog.

Breed: cocker spaniel
in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did ultrasonic scaling and removed quite a bit of dental plaque/ tartar around his teeth/gums and put in on a course of antibiotics but after about a month the gingivitus did not go away . he then gave him steroids but to no avail.

in september we put him on homeopathy which and glycerne with two crushed tablets of betnosone and this made the gingivitus receded but not fully . at the same time his lymphnodes under the jaw had also swollen up.

in the first week of october we did a FNAC and an mouth swab which did not show any lymphosarcoma . we also observed a tumour like growth and that has been removed for a biopsy for which we will get the results tomorrow

his gums/lips are swollen inflamed and so are his lips and they bleed a bit . he eats alright and has not lost weight . what do u think is wrong with him and what treatment options do i have.

regards
vikas chander
new delhi
india

Hi Vikas...thanks so much for your question about Amber.

This is a tough one for me to answer without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

I don't like the fact that his gums are swollen and that his lymph nodes are swollen as well. It sounds like your vet aspirated the lymph nodes to see if this was lymphosarcoma which is a cancer of the lymph nodes. However, if this was negative I think the biggest concern is cancer inside the mouth or on the gums.

An infection could cause lymph nodes to be swollen, but with everything you told me an infection does not seem to be as likely as a cancer. I am assuming your vet has tried courses of antibiotics, but if not, this is not a bad idea.

There are several different types of cancers that can appear on the mouth and gums. However, unfortunately mouth cancer is often very aggressive and difficult to treat. The biopsy which was sent away should really tell you which type of cancer it is.

The fact that Amber is still eating is good. Usually in a case like this our goal is to keep the dog comfortable and keep him eating.

If the results do come back as cancerous, the report should tell us what type of cancer it is and your vet will give you treatment options. If the cancer has caused the lymph nodes to swell then this means that simply removing the cancer will not cure it. Your vet may talk about chemotherapy options or possibly even radiation if that is available in your area. However, most mouth cancers are difficult to treat.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I hope Amber does ok.

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (28092 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (8212 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (16008 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (11146 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (30627 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (29615 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (21097 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (12166 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (10510 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (43821 views)