Swollen gums in dog.

Breed: cocker spaniel
in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did ultrasonic scaling and removed quite a bit of dental plaque/ tartar around his teeth/gums and put in on a course of antibiotics but after about a month the gingivitus did not go away . he then gave him steroids but to no avail.

in september we put him on homeopathy which and glycerne with two crushed tablets of betnosone and this made the gingivitus receded but not fully . at the same time his lymphnodes under the jaw had also swollen up.

in the first week of october we did a FNAC and an mouth swab which did not show any lymphosarcoma . we also observed a tumour like growth and that has been removed for a biopsy for which we will get the results tomorrow

his gums/lips are swollen inflamed and so are his lips and they bleed a bit . he eats alright and has not lost weight . what do u think is wrong with him and what treatment options do i have.

regards
vikas chander
new delhi
india

Hi Vikas...thanks so much for your question about Amber.

This is a tough one for me to answer without actually seeing your dog, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

I don't like the fact that his gums are swollen and that his lymph nodes are swollen as well. It sounds like your vet aspirated the lymph nodes to see if this was lymphosarcoma which is a cancer of the lymph nodes. However, if this was negative I think the biggest concern is cancer inside the mouth or on the gums.

An infection could cause lymph nodes to be swollen, but with everything you told me an infection does not seem to be as likely as a cancer. I am assuming your vet has tried courses of antibiotics, but if not, this is not a bad idea.

There are several different types of cancers that can appear on the mouth and gums. However, unfortunately mouth cancer is often very aggressive and difficult to treat. The biopsy which was sent away should really tell you which type of cancer it is.

The fact that Amber is still eating is good. Usually in a case like this our goal is to keep the dog comfortable and keep him eating.

If the results do come back as cancerous, the report should tell us what type of cancer it is and your vet will give you treatment options. If the cancer has caused the lymph nodes to swell then this means that simply removing the cancer will not cure it. Your vet may talk about chemotherapy options or possibly even radiation if that is available in your area. However, most mouth cancers are difficult to treat.

I'm sorry for the bad news. I hope Amber does ok.

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6734 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6883 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (11875 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (7854 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (12749 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (39684 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (17459 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (11668 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (30675 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (11573 views)