Rat with swollen eyes.

Breed: albino rat
my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now, where our tear glangs are, his are swollen what should i do

There are a few causes for swollen eyes or tear glands in a rat.

If you are seeing a red discharge from the eyes, you may be seeing porphyrin release or "red tears". This can happen in any rat that is stressed. The stress of being out of his normal environment could cause red tears.

Another cause of swelling of the tear glands in a rat is a virus called sialodacryoadenitis or SDA. This virus is more common in young rats, so it is possible that this is what Sagittarius has.

It is also possible that this is a myocplasma infection.

If the symptoms continue then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may prescribe some antibiotics that will help.

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22285 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6926 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (7339 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10234 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (15871 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (48020 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4468 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (16330 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (6054 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11633 views)