Rat with swollen eyes.

Breed: albino rat
my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now, where our tear glangs are, his are swollen what should i do

There are a few causes for swollen eyes or tear glands in a rat.

If you are seeing a red discharge from the eyes, you may be seeing porphyrin release or "red tears". This can happen in any rat that is stressed. The stress of being out of his normal environment could cause red tears.

Another cause of swelling of the tear glands in a rat is a virus called sialodacryoadenitis or SDA. This virus is more common in young rats, so it is possible that this is what Sagittarius has.

It is also possible that this is a myocplasma infection.

If the symptoms continue then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may prescribe some antibiotics that will help.

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (86595 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8565 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (12355 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (5256 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16068 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9560 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (12214 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12505 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (27368 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19393 views)