Rat with swollen eyes.

Breed: albino rat
my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now, where our tear glangs are, his are swollen what should i do

There are a few causes for swollen eyes or tear glands in a rat.

If you are seeing a red discharge from the eyes, you may be seeing porphyrin release or "red tears". This can happen in any rat that is stressed. The stress of being out of his normal environment could cause red tears.

Another cause of swelling of the tear glands in a rat is a virus called sialodacryoadenitis or SDA. This virus is more common in young rats, so it is possible that this is what Sagittarius has.

It is also possible that this is a myocplasma infection.

If the symptoms continue then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may prescribe some antibiotics that will help.

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (26228 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (9967 views)

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (16710 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13178 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9348 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (46267 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8155 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24652 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (15915 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7377 views)