Rat with swollen eyes.

Breed: albino rat
my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now, where our tear glangs are, his are swollen what should i do

There are a few causes for swollen eyes or tear glands in a rat.

If you are seeing a red discharge from the eyes, you may be seeing porphyrin release or "red tears". This can happen in any rat that is stressed. The stress of being out of his normal environment could cause red tears.

Another cause of swelling of the tear glands in a rat is a virus called sialodacryoadenitis or SDA. This virus is more common in young rats, so it is possible that this is what Sagittarius has.

It is also possible that this is a myocplasma infection.

If the symptoms continue then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may prescribe some antibiotics that will help.

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (13609 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (20181 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (7342 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (14790 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (273546 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (53942 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (39836 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (14831 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (6768 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5485 views)