Rat with swollen eyes.

Breed: albino rat
my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now, where our tear glangs are, his are swollen what should i do

There are a few causes for swollen eyes or tear glands in a rat.

If you are seeing a red discharge from the eyes, you may be seeing porphyrin release or "red tears". This can happen in any rat that is stressed. The stress of being out of his normal environment could cause red tears.

Another cause of swelling of the tear glands in a rat is a virus called sialodacryoadenitis or SDA. This virus is more common in young rats, so it is possible that this is what Sagittarius has.

It is also possible that this is a myocplasma infection.

If the symptoms continue then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may prescribe some antibiotics that will help.

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (8883 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (18500 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25930 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (32278 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (5359 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (19561 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5816 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (10511 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (11792 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8627 views)