Rat with swollen eyes.

Breed: albino rat
my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now, where our tear glangs are, his are swollen what should i do

There are a few causes for swollen eyes or tear glands in a rat.

If you are seeing a red discharge from the eyes, you may be seeing porphyrin release or "red tears". This can happen in any rat that is stressed. The stress of being out of his normal environment could cause red tears.

Another cause of swelling of the tear glands in a rat is a virus called sialodacryoadenitis or SDA. This virus is more common in young rats, so it is possible that this is what Sagittarius has.

It is also possible that this is a myocplasma infection.

If the symptoms continue then it would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at him. They may prescribe some antibiotics that will help.

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7800 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (18550 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27621 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11045 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (26196 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18365 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5171 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8114 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (8254 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8416 views)