Kitten's eye is sealed shut.

Breed: American Shorthair
My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For the past 4 days, the conjuctiva has been swollen and the lower and upper conjunctiva has been sealing itself together. I gently unseal it and water, maybe tears (clear fluid) comes out from under the seal. I have been using Idoxiuridine and terramicin for 5 days. Should I keep unsealing the conjuctiva or leave it to seal and when it heals, will it unseal. The vet I took her to said not to unseal it. I fear it will grow together and stay that way. The eye itself is excellent.

Aww...poor little kitten.

This is a tough question to answer! Normally I would agree that you shouldn't need to separate the eyelids. (They will not stay sealed together). However, if you can't open the eye then you won't be able to get the medicine into the eye.

It won't hurt to apply a warm wet cloth to the area a few times a day to help to loosen up the debris that is sticking to the eyelids. I don't have a problem with unsealing the debris as long as you are not causing discomfort to Holly.

If things are not improving within 24-48 hours then you may need to see the vet for additional or a different kind of antibiotics.

It may also help to put Holly in a steamy bathroom (i.e. run the shower for 10 minutes and close the bathroom door). This can help to loosen up the stickiness on her eye.

I hope she feels better soon!

I'm so sorry Linda! I launched a new site design yesterday and there are some bugs! The reply function should work now!

It is not the out eyelids crusting over and sticking, it is the inner conjunctiva that is sealing together. When I open the seal, clear fluid comes out. It is not the third eyelid either. It is the inner tissue that is red, swollen and sealing up. The outer eyelids are clear and debris free.

Thanks for your patience with my new software!

I think I understand what you are saying. I still don't think that the eye will seal together though.

How old is this kitten? If it is only a few days old then it is possible that this is a birth defect. But if she is older than I would still stick with the plan outlined above.

She is 10 weeks old. Everything was fine until the virus. It seems like the fluid coming from the eye after I break the seal is like tears. So, you don't think it will seal up and close off the eye. You recommend I do not break the seal?

Yes, I would say to be patient. You can apply a warm cloth, but there is no need to keep breaking the seal.

However if the eye medications can't get into the eye then you may want to consider breaking the seal occasionally so that you can properly medicate her.

It will eventually heal though as long as the infection is taken care of.

Thank you so much. I am a breeder and have seen alot, but never had I seen this type of eye issue. It was just so strange. I have had the crusty, sealed outter eyelids, but never the conjuctiva sealing off the eyeball. It is almost like nature is providing a bandaid for the eye. Selt protectant you might say.

Again, thank you so much. You have given me peace.

You're very welcome!

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23984 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (48347 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6438 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (17113 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15697 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9336 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (68164 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (50892 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (18075 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (9770 views)