GNRH implant

Breed: Golden Retriever
I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring
a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN QUESTION IS,
DOES A DOG NEED TO HAVE HAD THEIR FIRST HEAT
IN ORDER FOR THE IMPLANT BE SUCCESSFUL? I have
2 female Goldens that are over a year old and
neither one has had their first heat yet, so I
wanted to know for future reference.
What is the fertile success rate of the implant? Can a dog come into heat naturally on
its own afterwards if they have never had any
natural heats? Are they fairly safe?
I was thinking about this as a possibility later this year if neither dog comes into heat.

There are some dogs who don't have a heat until after two years of age, so don't give up hope! Your girls may yet come into heat on their own.

The GNRH implant is also known as deslorelin or ovuplant. It usually works 90% of the time and produces a heat cycle within 5-7 days. The implant is inserted under the skin inside the vulva of the dog. Usually a dog will need to be sedated in order to do this. Then, when it is time for breeding (i.e. 10-14 days into the heat) it is removed.

You asked about the "fertile rate of success"....really the only thing I can tell you is that it is 90% successful at causing a dog to come into heat. It won't really have any bearing on whether or not she gets pregnant and holds a pregnancy though.

I don't know whether your girls could have a normal heat afterwards, but I really can't see why not.

Regarding safety, I could only find one study on safety and this was done on horses and not dogs. It is considered very safe in horses. A few horses had some mild swelling at the injection site. The fact that I couldn't find any safety issues in dogs is a good thing and likely means that it is safe!

If these were my patients I would definitely recommend waiting at least until they are 2. Most likely they will come into heat on their own!

I just realized I didn't answer part of your question. You asked whether a dog had to have already had a heat in order for this to work, and the answer is no. It has been used successfully in dogs as young as 4 months of age, so no prior heat is necessary.

MY MAIN QUESTION WAS:
I HAD HEARD FROM A BREEDER THAT THE DOG WOULD NEED TO HAVE A
FIRST HEAT ON THEIR OWN IN ORDER FOR THE IMPLANT TO WORK.
IS THIS TRUE?

No, it's not true. It is used quite often to bring a dog into heat who has never had a heat before.

My other Golden who is 2 years old had a few brown stain periodically for around 3 weeks after coming into heat 4 1/2 months previously.
She would not be receptive to the male at any time. Could
this be a non fertile or false heat? If it wss a silent heat
would that affect her receptiveness to the male? I am not
sure what to make of it.

It definitely sounds like that was a heat. It could have been a silent heat where she just didn't display any outward signs that she wanted to breed.

There are other possibilities. If the male was inexperienced, or if he lives with her all the time sometimes they just don't do the right things.

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (26414 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (20523 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (10212 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (12294 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (12399 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (305593 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (43881 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8621 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (9323 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (26798 views)