Hip dysplasia in pupp

Breed: German Shepherd
Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and shows no hip problems. However at 13 months he still bunny hops when running at full speed (like a rabbit both back legs move at the same time). Also when he goes up steps real fast(and he can). Sometimes he will bunny hop-leap up the steps to get up even faster. He bunny hop leaps up 4 or so steps st once. Is this bunny hopping something I should be concerned about?? I have seen on line and told this kind of bunny hopping is an early warning sign of impending hip problems. Thanx Much Bill.....

Thanks for your question. I can understand your concerns. As German Shepherds are a breed that is known to have a predisposition towards hip problems, I can see how an odd gait could make you a little worried.

As far as I know, however, there is no evidence that shows that dogs who have an odd gait as a puppy will be more likely to get hip dysplasia. Dogs with hip dysplasia usually do not end up showing signs of hip dysplasia until they are quite a bit older. Often, by two years of age there can be changes that can be seen on an xray to indicate that hip dysplasia is likely to happen years down the road, but usually there is no outward sign of problems with the hips at this point.

In my career I have seen a couple of dogs who had problems with their hips when they were as young as 13 months. But, I wouldn't say that bunny hopping would make me concerned. Now, if Navoc was showing signs of pain such as limping or whining while he was walking or jumping then I would be more concerned.

It's never a bad idea to have your vet take a look and even consider xrays, but I don't think that the bunny hopping that you have described is anything to worry about.

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (13621 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (48702 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (18513 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (7664 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (7598 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (15311 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (5409 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (14720 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (102016 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (8717 views)