Hip dysplasia in pupp

Breed: German Shepherd
Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and shows no hip problems. However at 13 months he still bunny hops when running at full speed (like a rabbit both back legs move at the same time). Also when he goes up steps real fast(and he can). Sometimes he will bunny hop-leap up the steps to get up even faster. He bunny hop leaps up 4 or so steps st once. Is this bunny hopping something I should be concerned about?? I have seen on line and told this kind of bunny hopping is an early warning sign of impending hip problems. Thanx Much Bill.....

Thanks for your question. I can understand your concerns. As German Shepherds are a breed that is known to have a predisposition towards hip problems, I can see how an odd gait could make you a little worried.

As far as I know, however, there is no evidence that shows that dogs who have an odd gait as a puppy will be more likely to get hip dysplasia. Dogs with hip dysplasia usually do not end up showing signs of hip dysplasia until they are quite a bit older. Often, by two years of age there can be changes that can be seen on an xray to indicate that hip dysplasia is likely to happen years down the road, but usually there is no outward sign of problems with the hips at this point.

In my career I have seen a couple of dogs who had problems with their hips when they were as young as 13 months. But, I wouldn't say that bunny hopping would make me concerned. Now, if Navoc was showing signs of pain such as limping or whining while he was walking or jumping then I would be more concerned.

It's never a bad idea to have your vet take a look and even consider xrays, but I don't think that the bunny hopping that you have described is anything to worry about.

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (5569 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (17328 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5639 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (12926 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (125652 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (11605 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (5309 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (10567 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (7677 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (6502 views)