Hip dysplasia in pupp

Breed: German Shepherd
Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and shows no hip problems. However at 13 months he still bunny hops when running at full speed (like a rabbit both back legs move at the same time). Also when he goes up steps real fast(and he can). Sometimes he will bunny hop-leap up the steps to get up even faster. He bunny hop leaps up 4 or so steps st once. Is this bunny hopping something I should be concerned about?? I have seen on line and told this kind of bunny hopping is an early warning sign of impending hip problems. Thanx Much Bill.....

Thanks for your question. I can understand your concerns. As German Shepherds are a breed that is known to have a predisposition towards hip problems, I can see how an odd gait could make you a little worried.

As far as I know, however, there is no evidence that shows that dogs who have an odd gait as a puppy will be more likely to get hip dysplasia. Dogs with hip dysplasia usually do not end up showing signs of hip dysplasia until they are quite a bit older. Often, by two years of age there can be changes that can be seen on an xray to indicate that hip dysplasia is likely to happen years down the road, but usually there is no outward sign of problems with the hips at this point.

In my career I have seen a couple of dogs who had problems with their hips when they were as young as 13 months. But, I wouldn't say that bunny hopping would make me concerned. Now, if Navoc was showing signs of pain such as limping or whining while he was walking or jumping then I would be more concerned.

It's never a bad idea to have your vet take a look and even consider xrays, but I don't think that the bunny hopping that you have described is anything to worry about.

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (10978 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (12504 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (12063 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (7586 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (12405 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (9889 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (12967 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (12563 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (9868 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (7253 views)