Hip dysplasia in pupp

Breed: German Shepherd
Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and shows no hip problems. However at 13 months he still bunny hops when running at full speed (like a rabbit both back legs move at the same time). Also when he goes up steps real fast(and he can). Sometimes he will bunny hop-leap up the steps to get up even faster. He bunny hop leaps up 4 or so steps st once. Is this bunny hopping something I should be concerned about?? I have seen on line and told this kind of bunny hopping is an early warning sign of impending hip problems. Thanx Much Bill.....

Thanks for your question. I can understand your concerns. As German Shepherds are a breed that is known to have a predisposition towards hip problems, I can see how an odd gait could make you a little worried.

As far as I know, however, there is no evidence that shows that dogs who have an odd gait as a puppy will be more likely to get hip dysplasia. Dogs with hip dysplasia usually do not end up showing signs of hip dysplasia until they are quite a bit older. Often, by two years of age there can be changes that can be seen on an xray to indicate that hip dysplasia is likely to happen years down the road, but usually there is no outward sign of problems with the hips at this point.

In my career I have seen a couple of dogs who had problems with their hips when they were as young as 13 months. But, I wouldn't say that bunny hopping would make me concerned. Now, if Navoc was showing signs of pain such as limping or whining while he was walking or jumping then I would be more concerned.

It's never a bad idea to have your vet take a look and even consider xrays, but I don't think that the bunny hopping that you have described is anything to worry about.

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (17054 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (16990 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (16160 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (24381 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (11011 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (29750 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6870 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (8936 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10362 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (17567 views)