Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath.

Breed: Yorkie
Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down below" and when he does his penis tip comes out of the sheath. His sheath rolls in on itself and his penis can't retract, so i am constantly having to bath him or to help the sheath un roll. he is neutered...is there any way of preventing this ie surgery or will this cease as he gets older. ( i am worried as some people have said it is dangerous if the penis tip is out too long and can lead to amputation)

I would be really grateful if you could take the time to answer

thanks

What you are describing may be a medical condition called paraphimosis. This happens when the penis won't retract back into the sheath. It can be very serious. If the penis stays out of the sheath it will dry up and get crusty and can be seriously damaged.

When it happens, you can put some KY jelly on it and try to get it back into the sheath.

Now, with this being said, it's possible that he is simply having an erection and the problem could correct itself within 10-20 minutes once the erection goes down. If this is due to erections then the cure would be to have Louie neutered.

If this is truly paraphimosis though, there are some dogs that need surgery. Sometimes it is simple (i.e. if there is a band of skin that is keeping the penis from retracting). But other times it can be a complicated surgery. Some dogs actually need their penis amputated because of this condition.

I hope he is ok!

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (39538 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (46547 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (26441 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (10830 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (9456 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (135555 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (18795 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5073 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (121366 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (22692 views)