Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath.

Breed: Yorkie
Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down below" and when he does his penis tip comes out of the sheath. His sheath rolls in on itself and his penis can't retract, so i am constantly having to bath him or to help the sheath un roll. he is neutered...is there any way of preventing this ie surgery or will this cease as he gets older. ( i am worried as some people have said it is dangerous if the penis tip is out too long and can lead to amputation)

I would be really grateful if you could take the time to answer

thanks

What you are describing may be a medical condition called paraphimosis. This happens when the penis won't retract back into the sheath. It can be very serious. If the penis stays out of the sheath it will dry up and get crusty and can be seriously damaged.

When it happens, you can put some KY jelly on it and try to get it back into the sheath.

Now, with this being said, it's possible that he is simply having an erection and the problem could correct itself within 10-20 minutes once the erection goes down. If this is due to erections then the cure would be to have Louie neutered.

If this is truly paraphimosis though, there are some dogs that need surgery. Sometimes it is simple (i.e. if there is a band of skin that is keeping the penis from retracting). But other times it can be a complicated surgery. Some dogs actually need their penis amputated because of this condition.

I hope he is ok!

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (9691 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (55198 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (44696 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (18607 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (33360 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (14683 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (14898 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (51335 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (15391 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (52117 views)