Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath.

Breed: Yorkie
Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down below" and when he does his penis tip comes out of the sheath. His sheath rolls in on itself and his penis can't retract, so i am constantly having to bath him or to help the sheath un roll. he is neutered...is there any way of preventing this ie surgery or will this cease as he gets older. ( i am worried as some people have said it is dangerous if the penis tip is out too long and can lead to amputation)

I would be really grateful if you could take the time to answer

thanks

What you are describing may be a medical condition called paraphimosis. This happens when the penis won't retract back into the sheath. It can be very serious. If the penis stays out of the sheath it will dry up and get crusty and can be seriously damaged.

When it happens, you can put some KY jelly on it and try to get it back into the sheath.

Now, with this being said, it's possible that he is simply having an erection and the problem could correct itself within 10-20 minutes once the erection goes down. If this is due to erections then the cure would be to have Louie neutered.

If this is truly paraphimosis though, there are some dogs that need surgery. Sometimes it is simple (i.e. if there is a band of skin that is keeping the penis from retracting). But other times it can be a complicated surgery. Some dogs actually need their penis amputated because of this condition.

I hope he is ok!

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (14115 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (80268 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (15239 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (39158 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (10702 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (11266 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (14546 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (19219 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (16709 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (11172 views)