Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath.

Breed: Yorkie
Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down below" and when he does his penis tip comes out of the sheath. His sheath rolls in on itself and his penis can't retract, so i am constantly having to bath him or to help the sheath un roll. he is neutered...is there any way of preventing this ie surgery or will this cease as he gets older. ( i am worried as some people have said it is dangerous if the penis tip is out too long and can lead to amputation)

I would be really grateful if you could take the time to answer

thanks

What you are describing may be a medical condition called paraphimosis. This happens when the penis won't retract back into the sheath. It can be very serious. If the penis stays out of the sheath it will dry up and get crusty and can be seriously damaged.

When it happens, you can put some KY jelly on it and try to get it back into the sheath.

Now, with this being said, it's possible that he is simply having an erection and the problem could correct itself within 10-20 minutes once the erection goes down. If this is due to erections then the cure would be to have Louie neutered.

If this is truly paraphimosis though, there are some dogs that need surgery. Sometimes it is simple (i.e. if there is a band of skin that is keeping the penis from retracting). But other times it can be a complicated surgery. Some dogs actually need their penis amputated because of this condition.

I hope he is ok!

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (16363 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (10112 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (32327 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (12572 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (31095 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (9919 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (11779 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (21038 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (11852 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (12580 views)