Hamster hair loss.

Breed: syrian hamster
Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes seem swollen shut for quite a while when he wakes up. He does not seem unwell as he eats and goes in his ballas normal but when this happend I feel he seems slower.

Sorry to hear that Nutmeg is not doing well.

Often when I see a hamster who won't open his eyes it is a sign that he is not feeling well.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in hamsters. One is a parasite called demodex. Another is a condition called cushing's disease. I recently wrote an article about cushing's in hamsters which you can read here:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/hamster_cushings.php

Hamsters can also get ringworm which is a fungal infection.

If you can swing it, it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is anything that can be done.

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (10363 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (23654 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (10903 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (3726 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (6363 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (9587 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (4555 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (6651 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (3968 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (7179 views)