Hamster hair loss.

Breed: syrian hamster
Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes seem swollen shut for quite a while when he wakes up. He does not seem unwell as he eats and goes in his ballas normal but when this happend I feel he seems slower.

Sorry to hear that Nutmeg is not doing well.

Often when I see a hamster who won't open his eyes it is a sign that he is not feeling well.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in hamsters. One is a parasite called demodex. Another is a condition called cushing's disease. I recently wrote an article about cushing's in hamsters which you can read here:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/hamster_cushings.php

Hamsters can also get ringworm which is a fungal infection.

If you can swing it, it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is anything that can be done.

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (45226 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5838 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5354 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (32461 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7026 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16537 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9536 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11806 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (69691 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (7062 views)