Hamster hair loss.

Breed: syrian hamster
Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes seem swollen shut for quite a while when he wakes up. He does not seem unwell as he eats and goes in his ballas normal but when this happend I feel he seems slower.

Sorry to hear that Nutmeg is not doing well.

Often when I see a hamster who won't open his eyes it is a sign that he is not feeling well.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in hamsters. One is a parasite called demodex. Another is a condition called cushing's disease. I recently wrote an article about cushing's in hamsters which you can read here:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/hamster_cushings.php

Hamsters can also get ringworm which is a fungal infection.

If you can swing it, it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is anything that can be done.

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (6110 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (4653 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (9041 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (74283 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10100 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (22573 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (15562 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (16030 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (17519 views)

Dog ate grapes. My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes... (13018 views)