Hamster hair loss.

Breed: syrian hamster
Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes seem swollen shut for quite a while when he wakes up. He does not seem unwell as he eats and goes in his ballas normal but when this happend I feel he seems slower.

Sorry to hear that Nutmeg is not doing well.

Often when I see a hamster who won't open his eyes it is a sign that he is not feeling well.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in hamsters. One is a parasite called demodex. Another is a condition called cushing's disease. I recently wrote an article about cushing's in hamsters which you can read here:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/hamster_cushings.php

Hamsters can also get ringworm which is a fungal infection.

If you can swing it, it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is anything that can be done.

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (19480 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8192 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (26543 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11383 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (15310 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (20426 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5631 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (37314 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (15679 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11013 views)