Hamster hair loss.

Breed: syrian hamster
Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes seem swollen shut for quite a while when he wakes up. He does not seem unwell as he eats and goes in his ballas normal but when this happend I feel he seems slower.

Sorry to hear that Nutmeg is not doing well.

Often when I see a hamster who won't open his eyes it is a sign that he is not feeling well.

There are a few things that can cause hair loss in hamsters. One is a parasite called demodex. Another is a condition called cushing's disease. I recently wrote an article about cushing's in hamsters which you can read here:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/hamster_cushings.php

Hamsters can also get ringworm which is a fungal infection.

If you can swing it, it really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is anything that can be done.

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11068 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20306 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (16189 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33227 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7091 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (32769 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11266 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (14396 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (16308 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4173 views)