Urinary problems and fleas.

Breed: cocker spanial
hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been peeing on everything.is that a sign of bladder infection?if so how can i treat it?also thay hav had fleas bad for 2 years and nothing i do is getting rid of them plz help

Sorry to hear that you are having these problems.

When a dog is urinating on things in the house it could be a medical problem or it could be a behavioral issue. The first thing you need to do is to have their urine checked by your veterinarian. They will be able to tell you if there is any medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or cyrstals present. If there is a medical problem then they will need prescription medication to treat it.

If it is not a medical problem then there are a few possible reasons for a behavioral problem. Are they spayed and neutered? If not, this is the first thing you must do. Hormones can cause dogs to have all sorts of bad behaviors.

Additionally, you may want to look into crate training them. This means that for a few weeks they are kept in a crate except for when they go outside to urinate or defecate. The purpose of this is to retrain them to learn that the appropriate place to go is outside. It is tough to do this, but it tends to work well.

Regarding fleas, you should be able to take care of the problem with a prescription medication such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution. Don't waste your time on over the counter remedies. Fleas are getting resistant to many of these products.

When you use a prescription product you need to make sure that ALL animals in the house are treated and that they are treated for at least 3 months in a row. If you live in an apartment building where there may be other animals with fleas you may need to treat them year round.

Many times the makers of these prescription products have a guarantee on them that if you are using them properly and treating all animals in the house that they will pay for an exterminator to come in if you are still seeing fleas.

I hope this helps!

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (5707 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (11128 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (14190 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (5836 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (7875 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (15731 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (83526 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (31277 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (5903 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (43333 views)