Urinary problems and fleas.

Breed: cocker spanial
hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been peeing on everything.is that a sign of bladder infection?if so how can i treat it?also thay hav had fleas bad for 2 years and nothing i do is getting rid of them plz help

Sorry to hear that you are having these problems.

When a dog is urinating on things in the house it could be a medical problem or it could be a behavioral issue. The first thing you need to do is to have their urine checked by your veterinarian. They will be able to tell you if there is any medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or cyrstals present. If there is a medical problem then they will need prescription medication to treat it.

If it is not a medical problem then there are a few possible reasons for a behavioral problem. Are they spayed and neutered? If not, this is the first thing you must do. Hormones can cause dogs to have all sorts of bad behaviors.

Additionally, you may want to look into crate training them. This means that for a few weeks they are kept in a crate except for when they go outside to urinate or defecate. The purpose of this is to retrain them to learn that the appropriate place to go is outside. It is tough to do this, but it tends to work well.

Regarding fleas, you should be able to take care of the problem with a prescription medication such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution. Don't waste your time on over the counter remedies. Fleas are getting resistant to many of these products.

When you use a prescription product you need to make sure that ALL animals in the house are treated and that they are treated for at least 3 months in a row. If you live in an apartment building where there may be other animals with fleas you may need to treat them year round.

Many times the makers of these prescription products have a guarantee on them that if you are using them properly and treating all animals in the house that they will pay for an exterminator to come in if you are still seeing fleas.

I hope this helps!

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (18146 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (7138 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (8715 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (20762 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (10482 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (10782 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (41279 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (9785 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (9092 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (5316 views)