Urinary problems and fleas.

Breed: cocker spanial
hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been peeing on everything.is that a sign of bladder infection?if so how can i treat it?also thay hav had fleas bad for 2 years and nothing i do is getting rid of them plz help

Sorry to hear that you are having these problems.

When a dog is urinating on things in the house it could be a medical problem or it could be a behavioral issue. The first thing you need to do is to have their urine checked by your veterinarian. They will be able to tell you if there is any medical problem such as a urinary tract infection or cyrstals present. If there is a medical problem then they will need prescription medication to treat it.

If it is not a medical problem then there are a few possible reasons for a behavioral problem. Are they spayed and neutered? If not, this is the first thing you must do. Hormones can cause dogs to have all sorts of bad behaviors.

Additionally, you may want to look into crate training them. This means that for a few weeks they are kept in a crate except for when they go outside to urinate or defecate. The purpose of this is to retrain them to learn that the appropriate place to go is outside. It is tough to do this, but it tends to work well.

Regarding fleas, you should be able to take care of the problem with a prescription medication such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution. Don't waste your time on over the counter remedies. Fleas are getting resistant to many of these products.

When you use a prescription product you need to make sure that ALL animals in the house are treated and that they are treated for at least 3 months in a row. If you live in an apartment building where there may be other animals with fleas you may need to treat them year round.

Many times the makers of these prescription products have a guarantee on them that if you are using them properly and treating all animals in the house that they will pay for an exterminator to come in if you are still seeing fleas.

I hope this helps!

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (2666 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (3190 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (26130 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (5190 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (13370 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (10579 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (11682 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (6132 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (5460 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (34010 views)