Only one testicle descended.

Breed: boxer
I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you tell me the health concerns related with this condition? Is there a possibility that his testicle could still descend? Is there any way to assist the testicle to descend? Also, would he be able to breed, and would there be risk of this condition being passed on to his puppies? Is he at an increased risk of developing cancer if he is not neutered now?

This is an excellent question!

By 7 months of age, if only one testicle has descended then it is very unlikely that the other one will. It is still possible, but in my experience if the second one does not drop by 5 months then it usually doesn't come down at all.

There is no way to assist the testicle to drop.

You definitely want to have him neutered. There are a few reasons for this. First, the testicle that hasn't dropped is likely sitting in his abdomen. This causes it to be at a higher temperature than the testicle that is outside of the body in the scrotum. This increase in temperature can cause several things:
  • An increase in testosterone production - this can lead to increased aggression, urinating on things, mounting things.

• Cancer - A testicle that is inside the abdomen has a very high chance of becoming cancerous later on in life.

• Prostate problems - Many prostate problems are brought on by high levels of testosterone.

Now for your next question...Would he be able to breed? Well yes, he can breed but he should not be bred. The reason for this is that cryptorchidism (not having two descended testicles) is a genetic condition. This means that any male pups he fathers are likely to have the same problem.

I hope this answers your question. Please have him neutered soon!

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8510 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (10522 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (10762 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (9364 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26350 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (6795 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (17863 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (13813 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (7552 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7116 views)