Only one testicle descended.

Breed: boxer
I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you tell me the health concerns related with this condition? Is there a possibility that his testicle could still descend? Is there any way to assist the testicle to descend? Also, would he be able to breed, and would there be risk of this condition being passed on to his puppies? Is he at an increased risk of developing cancer if he is not neutered now?

This is an excellent question!

By 7 months of age, if only one testicle has descended then it is very unlikely that the other one will. It is still possible, but in my experience if the second one does not drop by 5 months then it usually doesn't come down at all.

There is no way to assist the testicle to drop.

You definitely want to have him neutered. There are a few reasons for this. First, the testicle that hasn't dropped is likely sitting in his abdomen. This causes it to be at a higher temperature than the testicle that is outside of the body in the scrotum. This increase in temperature can cause several things:
  • An increase in testosterone production - this can lead to increased aggression, urinating on things, mounting things.

• Cancer - A testicle that is inside the abdomen has a very high chance of becoming cancerous later on in life.

• Prostate problems - Many prostate problems are brought on by high levels of testosterone.

Now for your next question...Would he be able to breed? Well yes, he can breed but he should not be bred. The reason for this is that cryptorchidism (not having two descended testicles) is a genetic condition. This means that any male pups he fathers are likely to have the same problem.

I hope this answers your question. Please have him neutered soon!

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (17785 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (17709 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23466 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (32306 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41065 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14448 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13425 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (5955 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7449 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (12729 views)