Only one testicle descended.

Breed: boxer
I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you tell me the health concerns related with this condition? Is there a possibility that his testicle could still descend? Is there any way to assist the testicle to descend? Also, would he be able to breed, and would there be risk of this condition being passed on to his puppies? Is he at an increased risk of developing cancer if he is not neutered now?

This is an excellent question!

By 7 months of age, if only one testicle has descended then it is very unlikely that the other one will. It is still possible, but in my experience if the second one does not drop by 5 months then it usually doesn't come down at all.

There is no way to assist the testicle to drop.

You definitely want to have him neutered. There are a few reasons for this. First, the testicle that hasn't dropped is likely sitting in his abdomen. This causes it to be at a higher temperature than the testicle that is outside of the body in the scrotum. This increase in temperature can cause several things:
  • An increase in testosterone production - this can lead to increased aggression, urinating on things, mounting things.

• Cancer - A testicle that is inside the abdomen has a very high chance of becoming cancerous later on in life.

• Prostate problems - Many prostate problems are brought on by high levels of testosterone.

Now for your next question...Would he be able to breed? Well yes, he can breed but he should not be bred. The reason for this is that cryptorchidism (not having two descended testicles) is a genetic condition. This means that any male pups he fathers are likely to have the same problem.

I hope this answers your question. Please have him neutered soon!

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (29019 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (9192 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (11985 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (34112 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (18613 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (25336 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (11907 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (12182 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (20157 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (132531 views)