Only one testicle descended.

Breed: boxer
I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you tell me the health concerns related with this condition? Is there a possibility that his testicle could still descend? Is there any way to assist the testicle to descend? Also, would he be able to breed, and would there be risk of this condition being passed on to his puppies? Is he at an increased risk of developing cancer if he is not neutered now?

This is an excellent question!

By 7 months of age, if only one testicle has descended then it is very unlikely that the other one will. It is still possible, but in my experience if the second one does not drop by 5 months then it usually doesn't come down at all.

There is no way to assist the testicle to drop.

You definitely want to have him neutered. There are a few reasons for this. First, the testicle that hasn't dropped is likely sitting in his abdomen. This causes it to be at a higher temperature than the testicle that is outside of the body in the scrotum. This increase in temperature can cause several things:
  • An increase in testosterone production - this can lead to increased aggression, urinating on things, mounting things.

• Cancer - A testicle that is inside the abdomen has a very high chance of becoming cancerous later on in life.

• Prostate problems - Many prostate problems are brought on by high levels of testosterone.

Now for your next question...Would he be able to breed? Well yes, he can breed but he should not be bred. The reason for this is that cryptorchidism (not having two descended testicles) is a genetic condition. This means that any male pups he fathers are likely to have the same problem.

I hope this answers your question. Please have him neutered soon!

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4481 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (9464 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (18535 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (26327 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7772 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7197 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (114876 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15222 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (9753 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (4897 views)